What are the units of Kp, (Gas phase equilibrium)

In summary, equilibrium constants, including Kc and Kp, should be dimensionless and expressed in terms of a reference concentration/pressure. The activity coefficient, γ, can affect the units of K when using activities instead of concentrations/pressures. Having units on K can lead to problems, especially when calculating log K. Kp and Kc are equal when there is a one-to-one correspondence between the number of moles of reactants and products in a reaction.
AMan24
I know the units of Kc are mol/liter. The units of Kp are either mol/atm or just atm. Not really sure. I get mles atm and liters in my answer when i solve. Pretty weird

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Actually Kp (and Kc) have no units.

Note, that you will get different units for different reactions, depending on the set of coefficients used. Try

2A ↔ B
A ↔ B

and

A ↔ 2B

and you will see what I mean.

That's when you try to express K using pressures or concentrations, but - what is often omitted in an approximate treatment used when teaching beginners - K is expressed using activities. As a first approximation activity is equal to the concentration (or pressure), but it can differ. We express it with

aA = γA[A]

where aA is activity of A, γA is its activity coefficient (with units chosen so that the activity becomes unitles) and [A] is the A concentration (but it could be pA, partial pressure of A, as well). For diluted solutions γ equals 1, but the higher the concentration, the more it can differ.

Also note that having units on K is a sure way of getting into problems. In thermodynamics we often need to calculate log of K (as in ΔG=RTln(K)) , good luck doing that when K is not unitles.

Edit: beaten by DrClaude.

Likes MexChemE, Chestermiller and AMan24
When is Kp = Kc?

1. What is Kp?

Kp is a unit used to measure the equilibrium constant for a reaction that takes place in the gas phase. It is an expression of the relative amounts of products and reactants at equilibrium.

2. How is Kp calculated?

Kp is calculated by taking the partial pressures of the products raised to their respective stoichiometric coefficients, divided by the partial pressures of the reactants raised to their respective stoichiometric coefficients.

3. What are the units of Kp?

Kp is a dimensionless quantity, meaning it has no units. This is because the partial pressures used in the calculation already have units of pressure.

4. How is Kp affected by changes in temperature?

Kp is directly affected by changes in temperature. An increase in temperature will result in an increase in Kp for an endothermic reaction, while a decrease in temperature will result in an increase in Kp for an exothermic reaction.

5. Can Kp be used to determine the direction of a reaction?

Yes, the magnitude of Kp can be used to determine the direction of a reaction. If Kp is greater than 1, the reaction favors the products, while if Kp is less than 1, the reaction favors the reactants. If Kp is equal to 1, the reaction is at equilibrium.