What are the units of the argument "x" for this cos(x) function integral?

You could make x a function of time, or temperature, or pressure, or concentration, or something else. It could represent the distance along a path, or the radial distance from the origin. The limits of integration could be the starting and end points, or the limits could be a and b, or -infinity to +infinity. The integrand could represent a physical property, such as mass density ( units mass/volume ), or electric field strength ( units volts/meter ), or velocity ( units meters/second ). The integrand could be one of the standard functions, such as sine, or cosine, or exponential, or logarithm.
mech-eng
Homework Statement
Show that the value of ##\int_0^1\sqrt(1-cosx)dx## is less than or equal to ##\sqrt2##
Relevant Equations
##1\ge \cos x\ge-1##
Show that the value of ##\int_0^1\sqrt(1-cosx)dx## is less than or equal to ##\sqrt2##

##1\ge cos x\ge-1##

The problem is a worked one but I am just confused by a simple thing. We integrate the function f ##\int_0^1\sqrt(1-cosx)dx in the interval [0,1] but I don't understand that what stands for x-axis? Radian, degree or nothing? I know this does not affect the maximum and minumum values of cos function but how should I think in such a situation?

Source: Thomas Calculus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mech-eng said:

##1\ge cosx\ge-1##

The problem is a worked one but I am just confused by a simple thing. We integrate the function f ##\int_0^1\sqrt{(1-cosx)}dx ## in the interval [0,1] but I don't understand that what stands for x-axis? Radian, degree or nothing? I know this does not affect the maximum and minimum values of cos function but how should I think in such a situation?

Source: Thomas Calculus.
You can depend on virtually all calculus related references to trig functions as being in radians. Derivative rules etc. for trig functions would be littered with the coefficient ##\dfrac{\pi}{180^\circ}##, if the arguments are in degrees.

Last edited:
The argument for cosine or other trig function should be kept in radians for integration, and I'd say most math problems. If you are doing some type of engineering problem or navigation or surveying, then degrees are the norm.

@mech-eng
Thanks for using LaTeX.

Some LaTeX pointers:

To get all of ##1-\cos x ## under the radical, enclose 1-\cos x in braces: { } . Also, for most standard functions, precede the function name with a backslash, \ . Be sure to leave a space after the function name. LaTeX then uses a different font to render the function name.

So ##\sqrt{1-\cos x}## gets rendered as: ##\sqrt{1-\cos x}##

• Informative
Likes mech-eng
In general, in [itex]\cos x [/itex], [itex]\exp x [/itex], [itex]\log x [/itex], [itex]\arctan x [/itex],etc...
[itex]x [/itex] is dimensionless.

For example,
since [itex]\exp x =1+x+\frac{x^2}{2!}+\frac{x^3}{3!}+\ldots[/itex], what would the right-hand side mean if [itex]x [/itex] had units of length?

Another example:
If [itex]E [/itex] has units of energy, then [itex]\log E [/itex] makes no sense--- [itex]\log \left(\frac{E}{\rm Joules}\right) [/itex] is more sensible.
I would even complain about "[itex]\log E_2-\log E_1 [/itex]" and would prefer either "[itex]\log\left(\frac{E_2}{\rm Joules}\right)-\log \left(\frac{E_1}{\rm Joules}\right) [/itex]" or [itex]\log\left(\frac{E_2}{E_1}\right)[/itex].

Likes scottdave
SammyS said:
@mech-eng
Thanks for using LaTeX.

Some LaTeX pointers:

To get all of ##1-\cos x ## under the radical, enclose 1-\cos x in braces: { } . Also, for most standard functions, precede the function name with a backslash, \ . Be sure to leave a space after the function name. LaTeX then uses a different font to render the function name.

So ##\sqrt{1-\cos x}## gets rendered as: ##\sqrt{1-\cos x}##

This is a relevant question to the above. I tried this but I cannot get all of the function inside the integration symbol. I use braces but something seems to me wrong.

##\int{1/ \sqrt x}##

Would you please explain how to get 1/ \sqrt x inside the integral symbol?

mech-eng said:
This is a relevant question to the above. I tried this but I cannot get all of the function inside the integration symbol. I use braces but something seems to me wrong.

##\int{1/ \sqrt x}##

Would you please explain how to get 1/ \sqrt x inside the integral symbol?
I'm not sure what you mean by "inside" the integral symbol, but here's a try.

Simply include dx to get ##\int {1/ \sqrt x } dx##, which doesn't look too good - the dx being so close to the square root. Use "\," for a small space, or either "~" or "\ " for a standard size space. (Yes, that is "\" followed by a space character. ##\ \int {1/ \sqrt x } \, dx##

To make a "stacked" fraction, use "\frac{numerator}{denominator}", giving : ##\int { \frac{1}{\sqrt x } } dx##
or use "\dfrac{numerator}{denominator}", giving : ##\int { \dfrac{1}{\sqrt x } } dx## .

Does any of that answer your question?

Be sure to consult the PF LaTeX Guide, if you haven't already done so.

• Informative
Likes mech-eng
I suggest ,if possible, learn to deal with these matters in the abstract too and wait until you find, if possible , a real-world interpretation. I was hung up on similar issues and this liberated me, made it easier to move forward.

1. What is the unit of the argument "x" for this cos(x) function integral?

The unit of the argument "x" for this cos(x) function integral is radians. This is because the cosine function is defined in terms of radians, not degrees.

2. Can I use degrees instead of radians for the argument "x" in this cos(x) function integral?

No, you cannot use degrees instead of radians for the argument "x" in this cos(x) function integral. The integral is defined in terms of radians, and using degrees would result in an incorrect answer.

3. Why is the unit of the argument "x" for this cos(x) function integral important?

The unit of the argument "x" for this cos(x) function integral is important because it affects the way the integral is calculated. Using the incorrect unit can result in an incorrect answer.

4. Can I convert the unit of the argument "x" for this cos(x) function integral?

Yes, you can convert the unit of the argument "x" for this cos(x) function integral. However, you must make sure to convert all other components of the integral (such as limits of integration) to match the new unit.

5. Are there any other units that can be used for the argument "x" in this cos(x) function integral?

No, there are no other units that can be used for the argument "x" in this cos(x) function integral. The cosine function is defined in terms of radians, so any other unit would result in an incorrect answer.