How Do GR and SR Influence Modern Technologies Beyond Nuclear Energy?

• Thread starter Dadface
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr
In summary: I would say that there are many practical applications of GR beyond just nuclear energy, but I'm not an expert on the subject.Thank you for the summary.
Dadface
As someone who has never gone through a formal study of GR and SR and whose knowledge of these subjects is at the most basic level I am glad to have found this site because by reading through the threads I am able to pick up interesting snippets of information.What I would like to ask is are there any practical applications of GR and indeed SR beyond just that of nuclear energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dadface said:
As someone who has never gone through a formal study of GR and SR and whose knowledge of these subjects is at the most basic level I am glad to have found this site because by reading through the threads I am able to pick up interesting snippets of information.What I would like to ask is are there any practical applications of GR and indeed SR beyond just that of nuclear energy?

GPS satellites and airplane navigation systems take into account GR & SR corrections, although we would not need the theory of relativity to make these corrections i.e. the tendency of clocks to drift aboard a supersonic jet could be corrected using empirical formulae.

Mostly GR is used to understand astronomy and cosmology, which is not of any practical use.

The combination of SR and quantum mechanics (in the form of relativistic QM or as Quantum Field Theory) is used to understrand properties of matter throughout modern chemistry, materials science, electronics, etc. It has been said that if it were not for the relativistic corrections to QM, then gold would not shine (of course this is not a technology, but is meant to convey how essential it is to understand relativistic QM to understand matter).

Thank you confinement.I suspected that about SR but who knows what the future holds re practical uses?

confinement said:
GPS satellites and airplane navigation systems take into account GR & SR corrections
Airplane navigation systems? Apart from GPS, I've never heard of any other airplane navigation systems that take GR or SR into account. The inherent inaccuracy of IRS systems is way higher than any relativistic effects, and other sensors just use simple direct azimuth and distance readings from emitters on the ground, using high school math without any fancy corrections.

And at the speed of even supersonic aircraft, relativistic effects are really tiny anyway.

confinement said:
Mostly GR is used to understand astronomy and cosmology, which is not of any practical use.
I imagine it's probably used quite a bit for spacecraft , like the Mars probes etc... Then again. maybe even there it's probably easier to just make small ad hoc corrections instead of really using GR...

It got kind of hidden in confinement's post, but SR is essential to understanding the quantum nature of materials. This means that modern semi-conductor based electronics are a result of SR.

For GR I also can only think of cosmology and GPS.

What I would like to ask is are there any practical applications of GR and indeed SR beyond just that of nuclear energy?

Perhaps the most revolutionary application: how new ays of thinking about largely existing information can lead to incredible break throughs.

What are the uses of GR?

1. What is GR and how is it used in science?

GR stands for General Relativity, which is a theory developed by Albert Einstein to describe the force of gravity. It is used in science to explain the behavior of objects in the presence of strong gravitational fields, such as those found in space.

What is the significance of GR in the scientific community?

2. How has GR impacted our understanding of the universe?

GR has had a significant impact on our understanding of the universe, as it has provided a more accurate and comprehensive explanation of the force of gravity. It has also been instrumental in predicting phenomena such as black holes and gravitational waves, which have been confirmed by observations and experiments.

What are some practical applications of GR?

3. Can GR be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, GR has practical applications in fields such as astronomy, cosmology, and GPS technology. It is also used in the design and operation of satellites and spacecraft.

How does GR relate to other theories in physics?

4. Is GR compatible with other theories in physics?

GR is considered one of the pillars of modern physics, along with quantum mechanics. While there are still some discrepancies between the two theories, efforts are being made to reconcile them and create a unified theory of physics.

Are there any current research topics related to GR?

5. What are some ongoing studies and discoveries related to GR?

Current research topics related to GR include the study of gravitational waves, the search for dark matter and dark energy, and the application of GR to understanding the early universe and the formation of galaxies. Scientists are also working on refining and testing the theory of GR in extreme conditions, such as near black holes.