What are the ways I could get my hands on this paper?

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary: Thank you so much for the suggestions. I am glad I have found your post because I was searching for it for my dream.
fluidistic
Gold Member
There is a soviet paper I would really love to read: https://www.osti.gov/search/semantic:5509754.
Unfortunately, I have found no pdf nor anything of the sort on the Internet. Google told me it was published by some Ukranian University (thankfully it still exists and has a website). There is 1 phone and email address of the library of that university, in their website, but it isn't clear to me whether they would just scan the document and send it to me (work is not free).

So far I can think of:
1) Going to Ukraine and check if the paper is still in the library. But too expensive, and time consuming.
2) Email the library to ask what can be done. I am no student (I know students can requests to have any doc from any library).

Any other ideas are welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Contact the authors.

Use worldcat to search for libraries in your area with the journal “Sov. Phys. - Semicond”

BillTre said:
Contact the authors.
I've never tried this:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/241909762_Temperature_distribution_in_anisotropic_thermoelements
"Request full-text PDF"

Last edited:
I'd contact the author(s) and ask them politely if they could send you the article in question. I've done this before (a few papers from Russia). It saved me a cost of getting my university library inter-loaning it from them.

Likes BillTre
The paper is from 1982. Good chance you will not find the authors.

caz said:
The paper is from 1982. Good chance you will not find the authors.
Looks like the lead author published as recently as 2006, so maybe a chance...

1641769624267.png

Maybe contact their research institution / department?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernivtsi_University

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
There is also the question if the English translations of Soviet journal articles made it back to the authors.

caz said:
There is also the question if the English translations of Soviet journal articles made it back to the authors.
I think it was published in English.

StevieTNZ said:
I think it was published in English.
It‘s from an English translation journal of Fizika i Tekhnika Poluprovodnikov, so it is not clear if the authors would have copies of the English translation.

There were several “Soviet Physics - Topic“ English translation journals.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes BillTre
Samoilovich died in 1981, I found his wikipedia page (in Ukranian only), and an article written in 2006 about the 100th anniversary of him being born. I also found a textbook published in 2007 under his name, I am guessing it's a reedition of an older book...

Edit. I found some russian websites with old papers by Samoilovich, but couldn't find the one I am looking for. I have learned some cyrillic alphabet and I wouldn't mind if I could grt the article in Russian, google or so could translate it anyway. I've emailed.the library in Ukraine but I,don't expect an answer. By the way, worldcat is blank regarding which library could hold the gem.

Last edited:
fluidistic said:
Edit. I found some russian websites with old papers by Samoilovich, but couldn't find the one I am looking for. I have learned some cyrillic alphabet and I wouldn't mind if I could grt the article in Russian, google or so could translate it anyway. I've emailed.the library in Ukraine but I,don't expect an answer. By the way, worldcat is blank regarding which library could hold the gem.
Hopefully you get an answer from the library. Another way of getting it is putting in an inter-library loan request for the article via your local library (whether public or university).

I had a dream about this and I found a torrent link you could download the paper from. I was going to PM you the website address (but at that point of the dream I woke up... my dreams are weird)

I also did notice WorldCat isn't showing whether you could obtain the journal from, as well. It must be somewhere for sure.

Another idea: Find papers that cite this paper, and contact those authors to see if they have a copy.

romsofia said:
Another idea: Find papers that cite this paper, and contact those authors to see if they have a copy.
Of course, there is none for this paper.
I'll contact the libraries that may hold the journal nearby, to see what can be done.

I am litterally shaking. The Ukranian university's library just sent me a pdf of the article... I need to go there and pay them a coffee or two...

• Haha
Likes jtbell, diogenesNY, physicsworks and 10 others
fluidistic said:
I am litterally shaking. The Ukranian university's library just sent me a pdf of the article... I need to go there and pay them a coffee or two...
Glad you managed to get a copy!

Likes fluidistic and Keith_McClary
Thank you so much for the suggestions. I am glad I have found your post because I was searching for it for my friend.

fluidistic said:
You might want to wait a bit... :nb)

jtbell said:
That is if it still exists... :frown:

jtbell said:
I know, unbelievable. I am thinking every day about it. I will go there, once this nightmare is over. I will visit Kharkiv too (it's not really far from there), after all that's where Lev Landau spent a few years of his life.

1. How can I access this paper?

There are several ways to access a paper, depending on where it is published. You can try searching for the paper on a search engine or academic databases such as Google Scholar or JSTOR. If the paper is not available for free, you may need to purchase it or request it through your institution's library.

2. Can I get a copy of the paper from the author?

It is possible to contact the author directly and request a copy of the paper. However, this may not always be successful as authors may not have the rights to distribute their work or may not respond to requests.

3. Is there a way to access the paper for free?

Some papers are available for free through open access journals or preprint servers. You can also check if the author has uploaded a copy of the paper on their personal website or research profile. Additionally, your institution's library may have subscriptions to certain journals that allow you to access the paper for free.

4. Can I access the paper if I am not affiliated with an institution?

If you are not affiliated with an institution, you may still be able to access the paper through public libraries or by purchasing it directly from the publisher. You can also try reaching out to the author and requesting a copy.

5. Are there any other ways to get the paper?

If the paper is not available through traditional means, you can try reaching out to other researchers or scholars in the field and asking if they have a copy. You can also attend conferences or workshops where the author may be presenting their work and request a copy from them directly.