1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the x, y, and z components of the displacement vector from camp to summit?

1. Oct 30, 2004 #1
    Sorry to have posted this twice, but I didn't realize there is a special homework help section until after I'd posted in another part of the board.

Anyway, any guidance in how to draw the diagram for the following problem would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure about the position of the Z axis, etc.

The summit of a mountain, 2086 m above base camp, is measured on a map to be 4568 m horizontally from the camp in a direction 32.4° west of north. Choose the x axis east, y axis north, and z axis up.
    What are the x, y, and z components of the displacement vector from camp to summit?
    What is its length?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The problem tells you how to define the coordinate system. Take the coordinates of the camp as 0,0,0; now you just have to find the coordinates of the summit. Hints: The z-coordinate of the summit is given; to get the x & y coordinates you need to find the components of the horizontal displacement.

4. Oct 30, 2004 #3
    ok thank you, it's just that my teacher never showed us what the third plane looks like, so I was confused as to how it relates to the x and y planes on a grid. thanks again.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?