Calculating Position of Summit on a Map

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem involving finding the components and length of a displacement vector using a given coordinate system. The summit of a mountain is measured on a map and the coordinates of the camp are given as 0,0,0. The conversation also mentions confusion about the third plane and its relation to the x and y planes on a grid.
polarized
Sorry to have posted this twice, but I didn't realize there is a special homework help section until after I'd posted in another part of the board.

Anyway, any guidance in how to draw the diagram for the following problem would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure about the position of the Z axis, etc.

The summit of a mountain, 2086 m above base camp, is measured on a map to be 4568 m horizontally from the camp in a direction 32.4° west of north. Choose the x-axis east, y-axis north, and z axis up.
What are the x, y, and z components of the displacement vector from camp to summit?
What is its length?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem tells you how to define the coordinate system. Take the coordinates of the camp as 0,0,0; now you just have to find the coordinates of the summit. Hints: The z-coordinate of the summit is given; to get the x & y coordinates you need to find the components of the horizontal displacement.

ok thank you, it's just that my teacher never showed us what the third plane looks like, so I was confused as to how it relates to the x and y planes on a grid. thanks again.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the position of a summit on a map?

To calculate the position of a summit on a map, you need to know its latitude and longitude coordinates. These can be found using a GPS device, topographic maps, or online tools. Once you have the coordinates, you can plot them on the map to determine the summit's location.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the position of a summit on a map?

Calculating the position of a summit on a map is important for navigation and orientation. It allows hikers, climbers, and other outdoor enthusiasts to accurately locate and track their position relative to the summit. This information can also be useful for planning routes and identifying nearby landmarks.

3. How accurate are the calculated positions of summits on a map?

The accuracy of the calculated position of a summit on a map can vary depending on the method used to determine the coordinates and the scale of the map. GPS devices typically provide the most accurate coordinates, while topographic maps may have a margin of error of a few meters.

4. Can the position of a summit on a map change over time?

Yes, the position of a summit on a map can change over time due to factors such as erosion, tectonic activity, and cartographic updates. It is important to regularly check for updates to maps and to use the most recent version for accurate positioning.

5. Are there any tools or resources available for calculating the position of a summit on a map?

Yes, there are many tools and resources available for calculating the position of a summit on a map. These include GPS devices, online mapping tools, and topographic maps. Additionally, many outdoor recreation organizations and clubs offer resources and classes on map reading and navigation.