What are their velocities in m/s after the collision?

• Thread starter remaan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about elastic collision between two objects of equal masses. The person asking for help is new to the forum and is seeking assistance in solving the problem. The concept of conservation of energy and momentum is mentioned as a possible approach to solving the problem.
remaan
Hello every one,
I am new here, I 've just registered few minutes ago, and I wish I get the help I need.
My question is about collision, here is it:
Two of equal masses A and B have velocities of 6i m/s and -4i m/s respectivly. If they collide elastically, what are their velocities in m/s after the collision?

remaan

Physics news on Phys.org

remaan said:
Hello every one,
I am new here, I 've just registered few minutes ago, and I wish I get the help I need.
My question is about collision, here is it:
Two of equal masses A and B have velocities of 6i m/s and -4i m/s respectivly. If they collide elastically, what are their velocities in m/s after the collision?

remaan

Thread moved to Homework Help forums.

Welcome to the PF, remaan. You must show us the relevant equations and your attempt at a solution before we can help you. That's part of the PF rules for homework help.

How would you go about setting up this problem's solution?

I tried doing the following :
Because it is elastic colliosn, then the Enery and the momentom are conserved and I used the conservation of momentom

pi= pf
Ava+Bvb=AVaf+BVbf

and cancling the equal masses we get that the sum of their voliecities are equal in both cases, however, we still cannot say that have same velocities after the collison.

That was my attemp
Hope that works
remaan

1. How do you calculate velocities after a collision?

Velocities after a collision can be calculated using the formula: v = (m1u1 + m2u2) / (m1 + m2), where v is the final velocity, m1 and m2 are the masses of the colliding objects, and u1 and u2 are their initial velocities.

2. What is the conservation of momentum in a collision?

The conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the sum of the momenta of all objects involved in the collision remains constant.

3. Why is it important to calculate velocities after a collision?

Calculating velocities after a collision is important for understanding the outcome of the collision and predicting the behavior of objects after the collision. It is also crucial in analyzing the energy and momentum transfer during the collision.

4. Are there any factors that can affect velocities after a collision?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect velocities after a collision, such as the masses and initial velocities of the objects, the type of collision (elastic or inelastic), and external forces acting on the objects.

5. Can velocities after a collision be greater than the initial velocities?

In an elastic collision, the velocities after the collision can be greater than the initial velocities, as some of the kinetic energy is conserved. However, in an inelastic collision, the velocities after the collision will always be less than or equal to the initial velocities.