What are these bright spots in this zoomable image of the Milky Way?

In summary: The left one is Messier 22, the right one must be just some nearby star. Maybe Eta Sagittarii since the coordinates look about right.The left one is Messier 22, the right one must be just some nearby star. Maybe Eta Sagittarii since the coordinates look about right.
simbiote3
I just recently found this zoomable image of the milky way and I have been really curious about what the 2 really bright spots are. There is one in the bottom left corner and another near the bottom center.

https://www.eso.org/public/usa/images/eso1242a/zoomable/

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Usually the bright spots are just stars that happen to closer to us than the galaxy being photographed. Its like taking the photo of someone in a crowd, there will always be someone standing closer that you capture too.

In the astronomical case, we are inside the milky way taking photos through the stars around us to capture something light years away in another galaxy like taking a picture of the moon while a plane passes in front of it.

Another similar effect: Imagine you are out walking. You see a flock of hundreds of pigeons flying in the air some km away. Now imagine the size of a pigeon flying right at you a few meters away. What is more noticeable in your perception?

Orodruin said:
Another similar effect: Imagine you are out walking. You see a flock of hundreds of pigeons flying in the air some km away. Now imagine the size of a pigeon flying right at you a few meters away. What is more noticeable in your perception?

You're about to be smacked with a dropping. :-)

• Haha
Likes phinds
The left one is a globular cluster, though. The right one does look like a star embedded in or in front of a nebula.
I'm trying to identify which are those, but it's not as easy as I thought.

Likes CWatters and russ_watters
simbiote3 said:
I just recently found this zoomable image of the milky way and I have been really curious about what the 2 really bright spots are. There is one in the bottom left corner and another near the bottom center.

Are you referring to the globular clusters? The very bright, tightly packed clusters of stars?

Alright, the left one is Messier 22, the right one must be just some nearby star. Maybe Eta Sagittarii since the coordinates look about right.

The scene shows the bulge area spanning galactic coordinates: b = +5, -10; l=+10, -10; if somebody wants to ponder this more.
Here's the associated paper: https://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/abs/2012/08/aa19448-12/aa19448-12.html

Last edited:
Likes QuantumQuest, diogenesNY, davenn and 4 others
Bandersnatch said:
Alright, the left one is Messier 22, the right one must be just some nearby star. Maybe Eta Sagittarii since the coordinates look about right.

The scene shows the bulge area spanning galactic coordinates: b = +5, -10; l=+10, -10; if somebody wants to ponder this more.
Here's the associated paper: https://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/abs/2012/08/aa19448-12/aa19448-12.html

I got interested in this and drew the attached map showing the corners of the scene. I think you're right about Eta Sagittarii, but I decided the globular cluster is actually M28, not M22.
Galactic_Center.png

Attachments

• Galactic_Center.png
    Galactic_Center.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 841
phyzguy said:
but I decided the globular cluster is actually M28, not M22.
Well, then. You take it up with the authors of the paper, since they identify it as M22 :wink:
It even looks like M22 - it's got this 'leg' of three stars extending at an angle.

M28 is there:
upload_2019-2-2_6-3-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-2_6-3-26.png
    upload_2019-2-2_6-3-26.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 806
Bandersnatch said:
Well, then. You take it up with the authors of the paper, since they identify it as M22 :wink:
It even looks like M22 - it's got this 'leg' of three stars extending at an angle.
M28 is there:

You're right, of course. Sorry to muddy the water. I must have my field boundary in Post #8 misplaced.

From the same zoomable picture, can you please explain the "dark stars" circled in red below?

upload_2019-2-2_16-38-22.png

Zoomed view of the bright object circled in yellow below.

upload_2019-2-2_17-1-38.png

Can you explain the red dot below? Edit, there is at least one more red dot not far from the image below.

upload_2019-2-2_17-3-39.png

The above is the relatively bright object circled in yellow below,

upload_2019-2-2_17-6-13.png

Thanks.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-2_16-34-21.png
    upload_2019-2-2_16-34-21.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 377
  • upload_2019-2-2_16-38-22.png
    upload_2019-2-2_16-38-22.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 741
  • upload_2019-2-2_16-42-29.png
    upload_2019-2-2_16-42-29.png
    153.1 KB · Views: 388
  • upload_2019-2-2_16-53-38.png
    upload_2019-2-2_16-53-38.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 335
  • upload_2019-2-2_16-54-10.png
    upload_2019-2-2_16-54-10.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 314
  • upload_2019-2-2_17-1-38.png
    upload_2019-2-2_17-1-38.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 758
  • upload_2019-2-2_17-3-39.png
    upload_2019-2-2_17-3-39.png
    141.6 KB · Views: 734
  • upload_2019-2-2_17-6-13.png
    upload_2019-2-2_17-6-13.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 739
Looks like image processing artifacts to me.

Likes davenn
Spinnor said:
rom the same zoomable picture, can you please explain the "dark stars" circled in red below?

Drakkith said:
Looks like image processing artifacts to me.
Agree with Drakkith, they all look like imaging/processing artifacts

What makes the blue streaks counter clockwise from the red and green?

stefan r said:
What makes the blue streaks counter clockwise from the red and green?
Most likely, the telescope was rotated slightly between the red, green, and blue exposures. That would cause the diffraction spikes to be rotated when the images are registered and stacked.

simbiote3 said:

They appear to be newly formed stars that are illuminating their natal gas clouds.

1. What are these bright spots in the zoomable image of the Milky Way?

The bright spots in the zoomable image of the Milky Way are most likely stars. The Milky Way is a spiral galaxy, and stars are the primary components of galaxies.

2. Are these bright spots in the zoomable image of the Milky Way planets?

No, the bright spots in the zoomable image of the Milky Way are not planets. Planets are much smaller than stars and do not emit as much light as stars do.

3. How far away are these bright spots in the zoomable image of the Milky Way?

The distance of the bright spots in the zoomable image of the Milky Way varies. Some stars may be closer to Earth, while others may be much farther away. The Milky Way itself is approximately 100,000 light years in diameter, so the bright spots could be anywhere within that range.

4. Can these bright spots in the zoomable image of the Milky Way be seen with the naked eye?

It depends on the location and conditions. In areas with low light pollution and clear skies, some of the brighter stars in the Milky Way may be visible to the naked eye. However, the majority of the stars in the Milky Way are not visible without the use of a telescope or binoculars.

5. Do these bright spots in the zoomable image of the Milky Way have names?

Yes, many of the bright spots in the zoomable image of the Milky Way have names. These names are typically given by astronomers and are based on the star's location and other characteristics. Some common naming systems include the Bayer designation, Flamsteed designation, and the Henry Draper Catalogue.