Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are these called?

1. Jun 7, 2004 #1
    Electrically operated (either by battery or plug in), and uses vacuum to direct fluid transfer into and out of pipettes that you attach to it. I always thought they were automated pipettors but I can't find anything like what I use in the lab on the web. Any thoughts? I'm looking to purchase one. Thanks guys!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2004 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just call it a pipetman, why not look up the company site of the one you use in the lab and order from them? :)

4. Jun 7, 2004 #3

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

it is call a pipet fillers/dispenser. We broke ours 2 weeks ago and it took a long time to find what was the real name. I finaly found the name when I looked in the pipets section of the fisher catalogue. Eppendorf calls also the elctronic ones pipet controller.

5. Jun 7, 2004 #4
    Monique, I haven't been to the lab in awhile, as I am graduated and taking a little time off, but that IS a good idea. I am a good 40 minutes from the lab however. Thank you so much for your help Ian and Monique. I do appreciate it.

6. Jun 7, 2004 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Monique, Pipetman is a brand name. It's really annoying sometimes that things just don't always have a standard name that's used for them.

Rockind, are you talking about the pump that you attach a serological pipet to, or the ones that are used for smaller volumes that you just attach a pipet tip to? We have many names for the pump, depending on our mood, since nobody seems to know it's real name...everything from pipet pump, pipet woman (since the smaller ones get called pipetmen, even though it's a brand name), pipet boy, electric pipettor, and occassionally, the bzzzz bzzzz thing (for the sound it makes when using it...so far that's been the most universally useful term when asking who's seen it last). Probably if you just look it up under the general term pipettor, you'll find it.

7. Jun 7, 2004 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  8. Jun 8, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We need some Drosophila people to give the thing a name :grumpy: :biggrin:

9. Jun 8, 2004 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey Dustan, I looked up the one we have in the lab (it's a good one).. you can find it here http://www.biohit.com/view/categories.asp?document_id=327. The name? A midi plus :yuck: lets call it a bzzzz bzzzz thing after Moonbear :)

I'm just wondering.. you've graduated and you aren't within a 40 min radius of a lab.. WHY would you want to buy a bzzzz bzzzz thing?? I guess it can be usefull for correctly measuring ingredients for cocktail drinks? :smile:

10. Jun 8, 2004 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is weird.. I just read the specifications:

You can't even IMPORT it into the US if it has a bench stand?! That's just weird :)

11. Jun 8, 2004 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Weird...maybe another company has a competing patent on the stand in the US.

Hmm, yeah, I suppose those could be fun use for measuring drinks at a party! One of our former students here is a co-owner of a bar called "The Lab"...I was expecting cool stuff like that in there (um, yeah, I've been in a lab too long, I consider that "cool" stuff), but apparently the name has little to do with the theme of the bar and more to do with confusing both parents and professors when claiming he was "working late at the lab last night." Of course when you own a bar, I suppose it's not really such a big deal if it takes 10 years to complete your degree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?