What Do the Variables in the Projectile Trajectory Equation Represent?

• Thread starter randomvictim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for finding the trajectory of a projectile with gravity and air resistance. The variables in the equation include mass, initial velocity, angle, air constant, and acceleration due to gravity. However, there is some controversy over the accuracy of this formula and it may not be applicable in all situations.
randomvictim
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/4/2/f/42fa657994ca819eccfcf2b36296ddf9.png

Sorry I can't display images on these forums.

That is the equation of finding the trajectory of a projectile with gravity and air resistance.

I know that

m = mass
vº = initial velocity
e = 2.71828
g = -9.81m/s²

What do those other variables stand for?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, clearly t is time. I'd say that k was probably some constant of proportionality to do with the air resistance, but since I don't know where you got this equation, I cannot say for sure!

In the paragraph under the diagram it says Fair=-kv, so k is a constant of proportionality.

No, I don't know of any other formula.

Note well: That entire section of that article is incorrect. See the discussion page. As is noted on the wiki article's discussion page, air drag is proportional to the square of the velocity. The derivation starts with the wrong equations of motion.

did it. Look how ridiculous this formula is.

m = mass
v = initial velocity
ø = angle
e = 2.71828182846
k = air constant
g = -9.81 m/s²(((m)(v)(sin(ø))/k)(1-e^(-((k)(t))/m)+(((m^2)(g))/(k^2))(1+(((k)(t))/m)-e^(-((k)(t))/m))

edit: it's wrong?!? I refuse to believe this is wrong after I spent all that time working on it :(.

For low speeds, air drag is roughly proportional to the speed. For higher speeds, it's roughly proportional to the square of the speed. The "critical speed" where drag shifts from one formula to the other depends on the size of the object.

Well I am not really shooting potatoes, they are frozen grapes, cut down to have a diameter of a half inch. The front of the grape is fairly rounded and sort of reduces on air resistance but I am looking at speeds well over 150 feet per second coming out of the barrel, higher speed in my opinion but low and high are vague terms.

D H said:
Note well: That entire section of that article is incorrect. See the discussion page. As is noted on the wiki article's discussion page, air drag is proportional to the square of the velocity. The derivation starts with the wrong equations of motion.

For a projectile, the simplest way to include air resistance is to consider it as being proportional to the velocity. If we assume the projectile travels at a low speed, then this is a reasonable model.

edit: Didn't see jtbell's post!

cristo, I know what you're saying and I knew how to calculate drag that way, but calculating the drag at a given velocity doesn't do me any good, it needs to be in a y= format for me to be able to graph it. I couldn't figure out how to derive that from just drag force.

randomvictim said:
cristo, I know what you're saying and I knew how to calculate drag that way, but calculating the drag at a given velocity doesn't do me any good, it needs to be in a y= format for me to be able to graph it. I couldn't figure out how to derive that from just drag force.

I wasn't saying you should calculate drag at a given velocity. I was responding to D H, and saying that the orginal formula from which your expression for distance is derived, is valid in low speed situations.

1. What is a variable?

A variable is a placeholder or container for a value that can change or vary in a given situation or experiment. It is used to store and manipulate data in scientific research.

2. What are independent and dependent variables?

Independent variables are factors that are manipulated or changed by the researcher in an experiment, while dependent variables are the outcomes or results that are measured as a response to the changes in the independent variables.

3. How do variables affect the outcome of an experiment?

Variables can have a significant impact on the outcome of an experiment. By changing or controlling the variables, researchers can identify cause and effect relationships and draw conclusions about their hypotheses.

4. What is the difference between quantitative and qualitative variables?

Quantitative variables are numerical and can be measured and expressed in numerical values, while qualitative variables are non-numerical and describe qualities or characteristics of a subject. Both types of variables are important in scientific research.

5. How do researchers choose variables for their experiments?

Researchers choose variables based on the purpose of their study and the research questions they want to answer. They also consider the feasibility of measuring and controlling the variables and the potential impact on the outcome of the experiment.