Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are you afraid of?

1. Jun 17, 2009 #1
    Some of my friends (yeah, I heave friends) are scared of the dumbest things. One is afraid of robots, one of needles, and a girl I dated in HS was afraid of raw meat. I'm not talking about healthy fears, I mean if they saw any of these things they would pass out or run for their lives.

I will admit, there is one thing that makes me scream like a little girl, crabs. Especially the coconut grab as it has the power to crush a human skull. It has been documented that in 1951 coconut crabs killed 26 people by crushing their skulls while they were sleeping!

coconut_crab.jpg http://www.coconutcrab.co.uk/Pictures%20Used/crab%20on%20tree.jpg [Broken]

Coconut crabs, and maybe driver ants.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2009 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Jun 17, 2009 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Jun 18, 2009 #4
    I'm claustrophobic. I also have a bit of a fear of falling. Not hieghts so much as being in high places where I could easily fall to my death.

I have heard some interesting phobias. Women seem to have the most unusual ones that I have come across. One woman told me she had a fear of answering the phone. Even with caller ID if she sees her mother is calling her she will wait until she leaves a message and then call her back.

I once over heard a woman talking about her phobia of textures and patterns. There was apparently no ryhme or reason to which ones she had an issue with just that when she looked at them she would suddenly get tingles and chills up her spine and she would then know that it was not a pattern or texture she could stand to be around or touch.

Of course most women I have met are ridiculously afraid of "creepy" insects no matter how benign. One of my exes even freaked out over fake spiders and pictures of spiders.
    That same ex had a fear of zombies aswell. She said that when she had gotten older she overcame that fear only to read somewhere that Haitian witch doctors supposedly do infact have a means of making people zombies and her fear returned.

6. Jun 18, 2009 #5
    I briefly dated a girl who was deathly afraid of wet paper...she'd go into an emotional breakdown and couldn't go near even a slightly damp piece of paper, paper towel, toilet paper, or anything similar.

Those crabs are awesome. This gives me a great idea for a practical joke...

7. Jun 18, 2009 #6
    Oh man, when I see that my mouth starts watering. I love love loveeeeeeee to eat me some crabs. I've got the Old Bay on stand by. (You non-Marylanders don't even know what Old Bay is)

8. Jun 18, 2009 #7
    You'd need a big pot for one of those things. And you might have to wrestle it to get it in there.

9. Jun 18, 2009 #8

drizzle

Gold Member

cut the crab!! want something freakier;

http://www.y1y1.com/data/media/243/Dhab_7.jpg [Broken]

I think it’s called spiny-tail, it’s my worst nightmare. you better watch your fingers when you deal with that creature, you'll probably lose it if he bites them

10. Jun 18, 2009 #9
    No animal compares to human beings. Maybe Eric Theodore Cartman does.

11. Jun 18, 2009 #10
    i have a phobia of needles an often feel faint or have slight panic attacks when I am about to be injected. The worst is if you try to take my blood with a needle.

12. Jun 18, 2009 #11
    My roommate is a girl who is deathly afraid of moths or butterflies. I asked her once and she said she would get out of a moving vehicle if she saw a moth in it.

As for me, I have not so much a phobia, but a strange discomfort with being in a pitch black room with a mirror in it and having knives on the counter top pointing towards me.

That crab though.... no thank you.

13. Jun 18, 2009 #12

turbo

Gold Member

The mother of an old friend has an awful phobia about snakes. She loves to garden and likes to watch birds and other wildlife, but is so afraid of snakes that when she gets her monthly gardening magazine, she won't look at it until her son goes through it to make sure there are no pictures of snakes. If there is a picture of a snake, he has to cut it out of the magazine before she'll look at it. I once brought in a set of close-up pictures that I took of a bull moose eating weeds that I took while fishing. I thought she would enjoy seeing them. Before she would open the packet, she asked me if there were any pictures of snakes in there, and I had to assure her that it only contained pictures of a moose.

14. Jun 18, 2009 #13
    That is awesome! I for one welcome the zombie apocalypse. Anyone play left 4 dead?

Why, are you afraid your going to stab yourself?

I'm sure the crab feels the same way when it sees you.

15. Jun 18, 2009 #14

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have a similar fear, except it involves being enclosed in a box lined with perfect mirrors and a candle, which I accidently extinguish.

16. Jun 18, 2009 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

33mx7c6.jpg

Totally creeps me out.

17. Jun 18, 2009 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Am I weird if I think those giant coconut crabs are cute?

18. Jun 18, 2009 #17

JaredJames

Gold Member

Can't say there are any animals, insects etc that scare me. My biggest fear is uncontrolled freefall, sounds stupid I know, but I hate it. As long as I'm in control/know somethings in control (roller coaster tracks and such) I'm ok, but when there is no control I panic. Steep waterslides, where once your going theres nothing you can do about it. Just freefall to the bottom (I went on summit plummit in disney and absoloutely bricked it).
    Still, even with that fear, I still have a go, can't be a wuss all your life.

On another note, I was reading an article a few years back about fears, and someone in it said "there's no such thing as a fear of an object/thing, just the fear of the unknown".

19. Jun 18, 2009 #18
    Yes, there is definitely something wrong with you.

20. Jun 18, 2009 #19

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They remind me of my pet hermit crabs from when I was a kid.

21. Jun 18, 2009 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't like heights but I have never let that stop me from doing anything... except perhaps skydiving. I always wanted to try skydiving but for some reason never made the effort. Somehow I just can't see myself stepping out of the plane. Strangely, I enjoy a good freefall, which is why I would like to try skydiving. I have flown and stressed a fully aerobatic aircraft. Also, Tsu and I did a 100 foot belly flop from a crane once.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook