What are you currently reading?

• Thread starter Infinitum
  • Start date
I think it's partly about the things you said, but there's also the experience of re-reading a book *many* years later. There were many books I read as a teenager and I really doubt I would even recognize them or see them the same way now.
I just had this experience. I re-read Gorky Park and found I felt like I had never read it before. It had been, like, 35 years.

collinsmark

Homework Helper
Gold Member
I've re-read several books. Here's the ones that I recall re-reading, and are all certainly worth reading multiple times.

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
Cannery Row by John Steinbeck
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/URL] by Douglas Adams (I don't recall re-reading the entire "trilogy" though.)
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Angela's Ashes[/URL] by Frank McCourt*
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0894805959/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by George H. Scherr (not technically a novel, but incredible never-the-less).

*(If you want to "read" or "re-read" Angela's Ashes, I suggest checking out the audio-book version of this one. I'm not really into audio books, but Angela's Ashes is read/narrated by Frank McCourt himself. This book contains copious amounts of Irish humor that are totally lost if your only experience is watching the movie).

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a kindle, and I have ADD, so I am currently reading about 900 books.

But mostly, aside from my current issue of "Analog" I am reading "La Mort d'Arthur." I have been on a medieval history bent, so wanted to read some of the associated literature. I had always heard about King Arthur, Merlin, etc. as kids stories but I did not know where they actually came from. It is extremely fun to read.

(I don't know why I'm posting this now. I still haven't had coffee.)

There are books that can't be understood no matter how many times you try.
Can you name a few ? i will try to read them.

Sorry for a sort of "meta" question:
I have become kind of obsessive about getting the most out of a book. Anyone else feel the need to re-read books?
It seems hard at times to fully get the content and ideas from a first read alone. The first read gives you an overview of the structure of the book. Once you know the structure/layout, you can, upon a second reading more easily absorb the actual content, form issues being out of the way.

EDIT: I mean that understanding the context consumes a good chunk of attention/focus away from the actual content, ideas in the book. Anyone else see it this way?
I only reread books if it has been so long that I've forgotten the contents.

I tried writing a book. I couldn't do it because re-reading it bored me too much.

Right now I'm reading the Feynman lectures on electromagnetism.

Sorry, we don't talk about crackpottery here.
I don't what book you are talking about but the fact the you understood that the book is crackpottery means , you did understand the book.

Re-reading Symmetry and the Monster but skipping the off topic bio stuff so not to break the flow of ideas.

Iron John by Robert Bly (I believe most women will hate this book, mothers, sisters, girlfriends you name it)

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Dearly Missed
I really liked Iron John, especially his observations on "Kitchen Work" .

Just finished Joseph Conrad's "The End of the Tether" ... a sad tale .

Borek

Mentor
Just finished Joseph Conrad's "The End of the Tether" ... a sad tale .
I don't think he ever wrote something that doesn't count as "sad".

Or at least that's how I remember most of his stories. But then, I went through the Conrad phase 30 years ago.

ricky0120

The Problem of Pain by C.S Lewis. Very interesting and fill of curiosity so far. I just started and i enjoy it so far.

Currently reading two translations of Beowulf. One is an easy prose translation and the other is a not-so-easy verse version, which is not quite old english, but not quite "new" english either.

Happiness Trap

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Dearly Missed

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Dearly Missed
Stumbled across a curious little book

'Emotional Intelligence' by Daniel Goleman

it caught my eye because i'm an abject social klutz, ill attuned to feelings.

First few chapters are about the 'wiring' and interaction between amygdala (primitive reactive brain) and neocortex (modern thinking brain) , and how to become aware of which is in the drivers seat. Sure hope the rest of it is as interesting.

I've already noticed Mr Cortex does better at poker than Mr Amygdala.

Borek

Mentor

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Dearly Missed
From what I remember Goleman's book was widely criticized as highly speculative.
Ahh, did you read it? What did you think ? I'd value your observation.
Richard Restak's "The Brain" has chapters on the same connection.

It's not a textbook on either psychology nor neurology, i'd rank it in the "Self Help" category .

Borek

Mentor
Ahh, did you read it?
No, I have only seen some summary as written by someone else. But at some point I was looking for more information on the subject and there were none - then I have learned most of thing he wrote were not supported by any research.

Which doesn't mean the idea of EI is completely invalid, I believe it is still being researched and it produces some interesting results, just not necessarily compatible with what Goleman wrote.

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Dearly Missed
Which doesn't mean the idea of EI is completely invalid, I believe it is still being researched and it produces some interesting results, just not necessarily compatible with what Goleman wrote.
To me EI is just a word . As a quintessential nerd i am painfully aware i lack some kind of "social awareness" that most people have . Articles on Asperger's were eye opening to me. So i'm interested in his observations.

Like Demosthenes i'm working to improve my shortcomings. That's one of the good things to come out of 20th century, we've dropped the stigma about needing to do that.
I'm not a neuroscientist, just a recovering neurotic. So to me the book is a tool . Hopefully it'll help me peel back one more layer in direction of self understanding , like Peer Gynt's onion.

The research you mention - is it hard science, like that radioactive tracer brain imaging i saw in the old PBS series? Where would i look it up ?

old jim

Borek

Mentor
The research you mention - is it hard science, like that radioactive tracer brain imaging i saw in the old PBS series? Where would i look it up ?
Whether psychology is a hard science is a subject open to debate :wink:

I am talking about research being published in peer reviewed journals, so it definitely is not something to blatantly ignore. I don't have any sources that I could point you to (what I know is based on articles in Polish, and even if the language was not a problem I doubt they are available on the web), but I did some quick googling and apparently wikipedia article on emotional intelligence gives some interesting leads.

256bits

Gold Member
I stumbled upon this book.
Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, Julian James, 1976.
about the ancient brain to the modern brain, and development of consciousness, with a little bit of recap on a few historic societies to lend credence to his theory, though largely not expanded upon by present day researchers. So as new theories go .........
Shocking and thought provoking.