Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are you favorite to hated topics in Physics?

1. Apr 20, 2004 #1
    From favorite to hated:

1. Kinematics / Gravitation / Relativity
    2. Conservation of Energy / Vectors
    3. Momentum
    4. Dynamics
    5. Waves / Oscillations
    6. Magnetism
    7. Electric Fields / Optics
    8. Pressure/Fluids...
    9. Angular stuff...blech

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2004 #2
    I'm going to say:

mechanics

Those force diagrams make me feel like Wile E. Coyote reading ACME Blueprint. For coyote an anvil drops on him, in my cases it some red ink on my exams.

4. Apr 21, 2004 #3
    I beg to differ

?!?! That is the BEST part of mechanics.. makeing stupid diagrams and having what little 'fun' this topic of physics offers.. my fav was my 1st lesson of a-level physics determining if homer was gonna make the jump across the vally on bart's skateboard.. [see pic]

o
    {}
    LL
    o-o
    ----
    MMMM <BIG GAP>
    MMMM <BIG GAP> o
    MMMM <BIG GAP> {}
    MMMM <BIG GAP> LL
    MMMM <BIG GAP> o-o
    MMMM <BIG GAP>-----------------

anyway..id say the worst is a combination of Magnetism and Electric Fields, they kinda go hand in hand

5. Apr 21, 2004 #4
    H-bar, you'll be happy to know that from your second year of college on you'll never have to draw a force-chart again. The whole method is archaïc, time-consuming and very unpractical. Long live the Lagrangian formalism !

I don't know if I have a favourite subjest yet, but I know what I don't like. Solid state physics and thermdynamics.

Oh right, I have an exam on the second subject today :eek:

6. Apr 27, 2004 #5
    blech! thermo!

7. Apr 27, 2004 #6
    I've been in class yet with this subject but I'm famliar with the subject. I'm weird in that diagrams and geometry confuse the hell out me.

I undertand the math models better. I took a Solid State class as an Electronics Engineering Tech student its alright. Thermo looks god-awful boring.

8. Apr 27, 2004 #7
    My favorite topic in physics would be any I can understand (in my case, none of them), and my most hated are those that I cannot comprehend (almost all topics covered). :wink:

I'm sorry, but I've failed my physics class and have to retake it all again next semester. :frown:

9. Apr 27, 2004 #8
    Most hated:
    "plz do my hw fr me!!!!"

Favorite:
    "Hey, this is interesting but not trying to naively overturn the major established theories of physics. Just figured I'd share."

cookiemonster

10. Apr 27, 2004 #9
    Most hated: Creationism.

I know it's not a subject which should be in this list, but there's always some fundy whacko who thinks physics is evil because it goes against the "lord's word", and wants to splash their nonsense all over a science forum.

11. Apr 28, 2004 #10

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Fluid dynamics. It's great when you start, with that miraculous incompressible ideal fluid, but as soon as you get laminar flow and viscocity and turbulence and differential equations.... I guess tha't why I'm not teaching in college.

12. Apr 29, 2004 #11
    Angular, Optics, Vectors.

13. Apr 29, 2004 #12
    I just finished high school and everything in high school is so ideal. Like we only need to deal with ideal gas, we always assume there's no air resistance, assume the gas is incompresible, assume no stray magnetic field, etc in our calculations. Also, most of the calculations are easy and involve only little and simple calculus. So on the whole, I like every topic in physics I encountered. :wink: The topics that I like MOST are atomic physics, electromagnetism and fluid dynamics.

14. Apr 30, 2004 #13
    that's because those topics are the easiest in highschool physics program.

15. Apr 30, 2004 #14
    No, most of my classmates will give you a totally different response under this thread :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?