Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are you reading?

1. Jun 26, 2007 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, what's everybody currently reading, textbooks excluded?

Currently I'm working on The Count of Monte Cristo.
    After this I want to start Don Quioxte.

Both of these books, I've been wanting to read for a long time. I'm glad I'm finally getting to them. The new Michael Crighton book is on my list as well.
    So what are you guys reading?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2007 #2
    i read don qioxote, i didn't like it very much.

in my stack right now are plato's dialogues, beginning culture theory, futureshock and count of monte cristo. i'm half way done with plato, 1/10th into future shock and none way into the others.

if classic lit is your thing read david copperfield by dickens and crime and punishment by dostoyevsky

4. Jun 26, 2007 #3
    Playboy, Penthouse, Hustler.

Inbetween these great texts, Aerodynamics. (But I just read this for the pictures).

I dont read outside of text books. I just watch movies instead.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  5. Jun 26, 2007 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would like to read another Dicken's novel. I was thinking about "Nicholas Nickleby." Did you read this? If so would you recommend "Copperfield" over it?

6. Jun 26, 2007 #5
    "The Rebel Sell" by Joseph Heath & Andrew Potter is my main read right now, I've also got John Rawls "Lectures on the History of Moral Philosophy" and "Sixty Million Frenchmen can't be wrong" on the table. That last one isn't by Rawls, it's by two virtually unknown Canadian authors.

After The Rebel Sell I'll probably have to read something else in the genre, it's really sucking me in. I'm thinking maybe something by Thomas Frank, or Thorstein Veblen, if I can find it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  7. Jun 26, 2007 #6
    I always thought The Brothers Karamazov was so much better than Crime and Punishment. And of course, Notes from Underground is my all time favorite Dostoevsky.

8. Jun 26, 2007 #7
    Rereading Burton Mack, The Christian Myth: Origins, Logic, and Legacy.

9. Jun 26, 2007 #8

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am working on the third book (volume 5) of Isacc Azimov's The Golden Years of Science Fiction: Third Series" . title list is the second book on that page.

I started Don Quioxte But did not finish it. Not sure why, generally once I start a book I finish it come hell or high water. Don't recall why I did not continue.

10. Jun 27, 2007 #9
    haven't read brothers yet and notes was good but i definitely like characters more than straight rambling.
    haven't read yet but copperfield was definitely really good.
    maybe because it's very boring?

11. Jun 27, 2007 #10

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That didn't stop me reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series!

12. Jun 27, 2007 #11
    Amen to that! I'm currently reading Crossroads at Twilight, which is #10 in the Wheel of Time series.

Next on the list is Crime and Punishment; I bought a copy a year ago and it's time to finally get to it (don't worry though, I read The Brothers Karamasov last year).

And I own a copy of Don Quixote in Spanish from a visit to Guanajuato, Mexico which happens to be the Miguel Cervantes capital of the world (I know he was from Spain, but this city has a huge Cervantes festival every year). However, my Spanish skills are so far gone from then, that it will probably never make it off the shelf.

13. Jun 27, 2007 #12
    I am with Cyrus, I rarely read outside of textbooks. I want to say more, but I can't quite find the right word... :grumpy:

14. Jun 27, 2007 #13

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm currently reading Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett.

On the textbook side, I'm reading Linear Algebra by Hoffman & Kunze

15. Jun 27, 2007 #14

rcgldr

Homework Helper

This thread.

Previously, my reading included such heavy titles as the game guide for Tomb Raider Anniversary edition.

16. Jun 27, 2007 #15
    :biggrin: I like that series. Can't wait for the last part and the 2 prequels :biggrin:

I'm currently actively reading Betrayal of Trust - The Collapse of Global Public Health by Laurie Garrett and inactively reading The Feynman Lectures on Physics: Volume I by Richard Feynman.

Once I finish one of them, I'm going to start reading the Demon-Haunted World - Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan.

What strikes me is that I have completely stopped reading fiction (besides Wheel of Time) and only read nonfiction.

Also, Wheel of Time :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ok, I've abused the emotions enough for today :biggrin:

17. Jun 27, 2007 #16
    Empire of the Stars - Arthur I. Miller

I rarely read fiction. But I've been meaning to continue reading Sherlock Holmes...two novels and a bunch of short stories left. I stopped at end The Adventure of the Final Problem.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  18. Jun 27, 2007 #17
    Just finished reading Robert Ludlum's "The Hades Factor", boy that man sure knows how to keep one from going to bed.
    Right now I have started reading a collection of Leo Tolstoy's famous short stories, and I must say they are quite thought provoking.

19. Jun 27, 2007 #18

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm reading "Vermeer's Camera" as me and my friend are going to re-create his painting style. Like cyrus however I read little outside of textbooks.

20. Jun 27, 2007 #19
    Man and Superman, by G.B. Shaw.

21. Jun 27, 2007 #20

Mk

Right now I've got Crime & Punishment, The Stand, and Lies My Teacher Told Me. They're all exceedingly excellent if anybody wants to know. The last one is nonfiction :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?