What are you reading?

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
I concur on the Sherlock Holmes. Looking forward to the last book of the WoT, HP and Ayla series as well.

I just finished reading complete Sherlock Holmes collection for the third time.
Also went through O.Henry collected works again, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseni and witing for the 7th Potter book.

G01

Homework Helper
Gold Member
I just finished reading complete Sherlock Holmes collection for the third time.
Also went through O.Henry collected works again, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseni and witing for the 7th Potter book.
I know I'm definitely in the minority here, but I only read one of the Potter books. I never really got into them, even though I do like fantasy/scifi. I don't really know why they don't appeal to me.

:eek::eek: blasphemer! :biggrin:
I'm so into them. The only book that isn't as good as the rest is the 5th one (order of the phoenix). it's ok, but not much happens for a book that weighs more than its average reader. and I don't know what the hell jk rowling was thinking with that dragon ball z fight at the end.
and you gotta start from the first, I don't know which one you read but it won't make a lot of sense if you don't know who's who and what's what.

though I tottally understand— I can't STAND lord of the rings and Hemingway books. I really don't know what people see in those. :yuck:

nice signature by the way :rofl::rofl:

EDIT: nooooo you got rid of the awesomest signature on PF! :cry:

Last edited:

G01

Homework Helper
Gold Member
blasphemer!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

I love The Lord of the Rings!!!!

G01

Homework Helper
Gold Member
What about C.S. Lewis? Anybody like his writings? I've read the Narnia books and the Space Trilogy. I gotta say, I really enjoyed them.

Last edited:
Lord of the rings is definitely much better than all the potter books put together. I think J.K. Rowling is losing her touch, the 5th and 6th books were sub-standard compared to the earlier ones.

G01

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Lord of the rings is definitely much better than all the potter books put together. I think J.K. Rowling is losing her touch, the 5th and 6th books were sub-standard compared to the earlier ones.
I wouldn't know since, as I have said, I have only read one of them, but I'd guess this may be because the series was stretched out too far. I've seen it happen in other series as well. Sometimes, there just shouldn't be a 5th book. Again, this is only a guess.

the 5th and 6th books were sub-standard compared to the earlier ones.
what! ok, the 5th was kind of crap-ola, but the 6th was one of my favorites! and there have to be at least 7, you can't end the series before harry graduates.

The 4th one was my favourite, there was a lot more action in that one.

Integral

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What about C.S. Lewis? Anybody like his writings? I've read the Narnia books and the Space Trilogy. I gotta say, I really enjoyed them.
The Witch, the Lion, and the Wardrobe was good each after that degraded to the point that the last was only good for toliet paper.

I am not sure why the Harry Potter books are always being held up to Tolkien. They are just different, I think both should be on the required reading list.

siddharth

Homework Helper
Gold Member
The Witch, the Lion, and the Wardrobe was good each after that degraded to the point that the last was only good for toliet paper.

I am not sure why the Harry Potter books are always being held up to Tolkien. They are just different, I think both should be on the required reading list.
I agree with both points. I also think that the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud should also be a part of the required reading list.

G01 said:
blasphemer!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:
Fool of a Took rather! :biggrin:
Tolkien rules.

G01

Homework Helper
Gold Member
I agree with both points. I also think that the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud should also be a part of the required reading list.
I have never heard of this trilogy, I'm sorry to say! What is it about?

Fool of a Took rather! :biggrin:
Tolkien rules.
Amen Brother!:approve:

I've neither read Tolkien nor Rowling.

Does that make me a double-blasphemer? :uhh:

it makes you a poor, lost soul, forever to roam in some sort of neither hellish (tolkien) nor heavenly (rowling) limbo.

it makes you a poor, lost soul forever to roam in some sort of neither hellish (tolkien) nor heavenly (rowling) limbo.
Yeah, it's called Earth. :grumpy::tongue2:

I've read both Tolkien and Rowling, and didn't like either. Can I be a double-Heretic? :biggrin:

A Brief History of Progress. I'm 3/4 done and think it's fantastic! :approve:

i m reading PF. hehe

G01

Homework Helper
Gold Member
I've read both Tolkien and Rowling, and didn't like either. Can I be a double-Heretic? :biggrin:
Why not!!! BLASPHEMER!:biggrin:

daniel_i_l

Gold Member
Grishom - The last one I read was "a painted house" , Crichton - The last one I read was "prey"

The God Delusion
A Short History of Progress
Ever Wonder Why

I recommend them all, very good!

Last edited:

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I like C.S. Lewis. The Screwtape Letters is an especially good book.