What Are You Currently Reading?

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary: Terry Goodkind.In summary, everyone is currently reading different books, with textbooks excluded. The new Michael Crighton book is on the list as well.
G01 said:
What about C.S. Lewis? Anybody like his writings? I've read the Narnia books and the Space Trilogy. I got to say, I really enjoyed them.

The Witch, the Lion, and the Wardrobe was good each after that degraded to the point that the last was only good for toliet paper.

I am not sure why the Harry Potter books are always being held up to Tolkien. They are just different, I think both should be on the required reading list.

Physics news on Phys.org
Integral said:
The Witch, the Lion, and the Wardrobe was good each after that degraded to the point that the last was only good for toliet paper.

I am not sure why the Harry Potter books are always being held up to Tolkien. They are just different, I think both should be on the required reading list.

I agree with both points. I also think that the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud should also be a part of the required reading list.

G01 said:
blasphemer!:biggrin:
Fool of a Took rather! :biggrin:
Tolkien rules.

siddharth said:
I agree with both points. I also think that the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud should also be a part of the required reading list.

I have never heard of this trilogy, I'm sorry to say! What is it about?

arunbg said:
Fool of a Took rather! :biggrin:
Tolkien rules.

Amen Brother!:approve:

I've neither read Tolkien nor Rowling.

Does that make me a double-blasphemer? :uhh:

it makes you a poor, lost soul, forever to roam in some sort of neither hellish (tolkien) nor heavenly (rowling) limbo.

moe darklight said:
it makes you a poor, lost soul forever to roam in some sort of neither hellish (tolkien) nor heavenly (rowling) limbo.
Yeah, it's called Earth. :grumpy::tongue2:

neutrino said:
Yeah, it's called Earth. :grumpy::tongue2:

:rofl: uh oh

I've read both Tolkien and Rowling, and didn't like either. Can I be a double-Heretic? :biggrin:

i m reading PF. hehe

Smurf said:
I've read both Tolkien and Rowling, and didn't like either. Can I be a double-Heretic? :biggrin:

Why not! BLASPHEMER!:biggrin:

Grishom - The last one I read was "a painted house" , Crichton - The last one I read was "prey"

The God Delusion
A Short History of Progress
Ever Wonder Why

I recommend them all, very good!

Last edited:
G01 said:
What about C.S. Lewis? Anybody like his writings? I've read the Narnia books and the Space Trilogy. I got to say, I really enjoyed them.

I like C.S. Lewis. The Screwtape Letters is an especially good book.

Greg Bernhardt said:
The God Dellusion
A Short History of Progress
Ever Wonder Why

I recommend them all, very good!

I concur on the first.

I just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and still reading the one by Garrett >_>

Math Is Hard said:
I like C.S. Lewis. The Screwtape Letters is an especially good book.

Looks like a nice pickup read for a long flight.

I have "the Emperor's New Mind" and have not yet started it. I like Penrose's take on things, though.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Looks like a nice pickup read for a long flight.

It would definitely serve well for that. It's a pretty entertaining read with some food for thought mixed in.

I just bought a volume of all of Flannery O'Connor's short stories. Anyone ever read any of them? I definitely recommend them for good, shorter reads.

I picked up a volume containing four of Wells' novels from the library...my foray into SF.

I'm reading...

The China Fantasy by some guy that's coming off as really bias.

Tipping point by Malcolm Gladwell
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
On War by Carl Von Clausewitz
A book of five rings by Miyamoto Musashi

The Decision to Use the Atomic Bomb: Gar Alperovitz

The revisionists bible, so awe inspiringly detailed: with accounts from the men who made the decisions, so achingly well researched that it's impossible to doubt it's credibility in what was the US's darkest hour.

Why they really did it, not why you think they did. If you believe, like I did, that it was to save lives then prepare for a real shock.

And Shield of Thunder: David Gemmel, the story of Troy in 3 books.

Totally gripping, and for a fantasy impressively researched, plus it was his last work before he died. :frown:

I’m currently pawing my way through A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M Miller.

I’ve enjoyed it so far. Indeed, I’m a little giddy with anticipation concerning Brother Francis’ discovery.

Here’s a review

http://www.sfsite.com/10b/cant19.htm

I recently started Wayne Grudem's "Systematic Theology." I'm also (sort of) reading Dante's Paradise...when I have time. This is, of course, pretty typical of my rather narrow set of reading interests which includes religious books, my physics textbooks, and ancient literature. In that order.

-Guns, germs and steel (actually just finished this one)
-The wealth and poverty of nations

Both (on a different level) about how the economic differences between nations came to be. Both very good! Oh, and as a good holiday book I just started 'Ali and Nino'.

Also, I'm in the middle of Catch-22 right now. I never read it, but I'm glad I started! The book is hilarious!:rofl:

Just finished The God Delusion. Dawkins comes off bitter, but it is a good book.

Currently reading Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk. Disturbing, but interesting.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of "What Are You Currently Reading?"</h2><p>The purpose of "What Are You Currently Reading?" is to share and discuss current reading materials with others, whether it be for personal enjoyment or for academic or professional purposes.</p><h2>2. How does "What Are You Currently Reading?" benefit scientists?</h2><p>"What Are You Currently Reading?" can benefit scientists by allowing them to stay updated on the latest research and discoveries in their field, as well as providing opportunities for collaboration and networking with other scientists.</p><h2>3. Is "What Are You Currently Reading?" limited to scientific literature?</h2><p>No, "What Are You Currently Reading?" is not limited to scientific literature. It can also include non-fiction books, fiction novels, and other forms of reading materials.</p><h2>4. Can I share my own research on "What Are You Currently Reading?"</h2><p>Yes, you can share your own research on "What Are You Currently Reading?" as long as it is relevant to the topic being discussed and follows the community guidelines.</p><h2>5. How can I start a discussion on "What Are You Currently Reading?"</h2><p>To start a discussion on "What Are You Currently Reading?", simply create a post sharing the title, author, and brief summary of the book or article you are currently reading and invite others to share their thoughts and opinions on it.</p>

1. What is the purpose of "What Are You Currently Reading?"

The purpose of "What Are You Currently Reading?" is to share and discuss current reading materials with others, whether it be for personal enjoyment or for academic or professional purposes.

2. How does "What Are You Currently Reading?" benefit scientists?

"What Are You Currently Reading?" can benefit scientists by allowing them to stay updated on the latest research and discoveries in their field, as well as providing opportunities for collaboration and networking with other scientists.

3. Is "What Are You Currently Reading?" limited to scientific literature?

No, "What Are You Currently Reading?" is not limited to scientific literature. It can also include non-fiction books, fiction novels, and other forms of reading materials.

4. Can I share my own research on "What Are You Currently Reading?"

Yes, you can share your own research on "What Are You Currently Reading?" as long as it is relevant to the topic being discussed and follows the community guidelines.

5. How can I start a discussion on "What Are You Currently Reading?"

To start a discussion on "What Are You Currently Reading?", simply create a post sharing the title, author, and brief summary of the book or article you are currently reading and invite others to share their thoughts and opinions on it.