What are you sure you don't know?

Zero?

loseyourname said:
Why would I redefine zero? I am certain that I cannot put any number of rocks (as I understand the concept of numbers and rocks) into zero groups (as I understand the concept of zero). Redefining it is pointless. As the definitions stand, I am certain.
Tell me this can you ever say that you have seen zero? I don't mean zero rocks or zero numbers, I'm talking about the absence of anything. Zero is the absence of both positive and negative. So... have you ever seen nothing, complete nothing? My point is how can you group rocks into zero if you have never seen or at the very least experienced zero or nothing?How do you know that it even exists at all apart from the human termanology for it which is basically saying I dont have or owe anyone any rocks. But that is only specific to rocks, I mean you might on the other hand have 20 apples and owe some bastard over there 10 oranges. But then again I have zero quableducks, is that because they don't exist or because I neither have any nor owe anybody any?
So in conclusion, how can you say that you can't put any number of rocks into groups of zero when you haven't experienced what zero really is or even seen if it exists in the first place?

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Then put rocks, or anything else, into a group of zero. No matter how you twist language, you can't do it. Of that, I am certain.

A group of zero rocks means to me that I can neither observe it physically nor represent it through counting, not that it does not exist. How otherwise could I have a concept of a rock if I did not know what it wasn't?

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Are you trying to say a group of zero rocks can have a physical existence? I am still certain that it can't.

Heck, expand the horizon and take out all number symbols. Put any amount of anything nowhere. You can't do it. Of that I am certain, if only because of the non-existence of nowhere.

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
By the way, what it means to you is irrelevant. As the common definition of zero stands, it means an empty set. An empty set cannot contain anything, which means it cannot contain any rocks.

Just wondering: how can an undefined set {1/0} operate exclusively on a defined set {0,1}?

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
I'm not a mathematician, and I don't know. What I do know is that you will never put anything into zero groups, no matter how you try to argue out of it. You will never do it, and you can never do it.

Yes I am...

loseyourname said:
Are you trying to say a group of zero rocks can have a physical existence? I am still certain that it can't.

Heck, expand the horizon and take out all number symbols. Put any amount of anything nowhere. You can't do it. Of that I am certain, if only because of the non-existence of nowhere.
How do you know that a group of zero rocks cannot have a physical existance? Don't you get it my point is that you have not seen that zero does or does not exist... whether or not your reasoning and background have taught you what you think! I'm saying sure your certain that it cannot exist to YOUR limited knowledge but... in simple terms... prove it...

As a matter of fact if you do I will give you a group of 0/$1,000,000 which will be much use to you, since you will be able to see it you should be able to convert it into existing money with your obviously awesome power in maths...

the only thing that i dont know is what i cant predict;what will happen the next second?...i honestly dont know.

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
You're missing the point, Odin. If my knowledge is limited, then I can still be certain that I don't know. That was the question being addressed.