Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are you using for IDE?

1. May 20, 2006 #1
    I'd like to know what most of the PFers use for IDE while programming. It's of no great importance to me, however I'd like to know. I'm using emacs for java, and bash. Radasm for asm, and notepad for website designs.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Notepad isn't an IDE. :smile: And while emacs does have IDE features, I've only used it as an editor.

Eclipse is a nice (free!) IDE for java. I think it's editor is decent for raw HTML as well. (But then again, so is emacs) I think it's C/C++ support is fairly clunky, but I haven't looked at it in a while.
  4. May 20, 2006 #3
    I use Kate (KDevelop's text editor, run seperately from KDevelop) for most everything. Not the full IDE, just the part that is useful to me.

I also like bluefish for some things.
  5. May 21, 2006 #4

Science Advisor

Eclipse, VS 2005, Dev-C++, MM Flash 8.
    Why do you use notepad for site design Heartless? A WYSIWYG editor will increase your productivity levels and allow you to create better looking sites. For site design i use DreamWeaver 8 in split mode, with both the design and code views on, so that you get the best of both worlds. Notepad is very plain and not good on the eyes. Auto-identing, key word coloring and intelli-sense will only help you, they're not your enemies. I only use notepad for quick code edits.
    Last edited: May 21, 2006
  6. May 21, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I use either TextPad (on Windows) or nedit (on *nix). I don't really use any IDEs at all.

- Warren
  7. May 24, 2006 #6
    Eclipse for Java.

Dev-C++ for small C++ projects
    Visual Studio for larger C++ projects

SharpDevelop for small .NET (mainly C#) projects
    VS .NET for larger .NET projects

And who never uses notepad??
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?