What IDEs are Popular Among Programmers?

• Thread starter heartless
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around discussing IDE preferences for various programming languages. Most individuals use Eclipse for Java and some also find it useful for raw HTML. Kate and Bluefish are also popular choices for coding. Some people prefer using WYSIWYG editors like DreamWeaver, while others stick to plain editors like Notepad for quick code edits. TextPad and nedit are also mentioned as preferred editors. IDEs like Dev-C++, Visual Studio, and SharpDevelop are used for larger projects, while Notepad seems to be a common choice for quick code edits among the group.
heartless
I'd like to know what most of the PFers use for IDE while programming. It's of no great importance to me, however I'd like to know. I'm using emacs for java, and bash. Radasm for asm, and notepad for website designs.

Technology news on Phys.org
Notepad isn't an IDE. :smile: And while emacs does have IDE features, I've only used it as an editor.

Eclipse is a nice (free!) IDE for java. I think it's editor is decent for raw HTML as well. (But then again, so is emacs) I think it's C/C++ support is fairly clunky, but I haven't looked at it in a while.

I use Kate (KDevelop's text editor, run seperately from KDevelop) for most everything. Not the full IDE, just the part that is useful to me.

I also like bluefish for some things.

Eclipse, VS 2005, Dev-C++, MM Flash 8.
Why do you use notepad for site design Heartless? A WYSIWYG editor will increase your productivity levels and allow you to create better looking sites. For site design i use DreamWeaver 8 in split mode, with both the design and code views on, so that you get the best of both worlds. Notepad is very plain and not good on the eyes. Auto-identing, key word coloring and intelli-sense will only help you, they're not your enemies. I only use notepad for quick code edits.

Last edited:
I use either TextPad (on Windows) or nedit (on *nix). I don't really use any IDEs at all.

- Warren

Eclipse for Java.

Dev-C++ for small C++ projects
Visual Studio for larger C++ projects

SharpDevelop for small .NET (mainly C#) projects
VS .NET for larger .NET projects

And who never uses notepad??

1. What is an IDE?

An IDE, or integrated development environment, is a software application that provides a comprehensive set of tools for software development. It typically includes a code editor, debugger, and build automation tools.

2. Why do scientists use IDEs?

Scientists use IDEs to write and organize their code more efficiently. IDEs provide features such as code completion, debugging, and version control, making it easier to write and manage complex code.

3. Which IDE do most scientists use?

The most commonly used IDEs among scientists are RStudio, Spyder, and PyCharm. These IDEs are specifically designed for scientific computing and provide tools for data analysis, visualization, and machine learning.

4. Are IDEs only used for writing code?

No, IDEs can also be used for other tasks such as debugging, testing, and project management. They often have built-in tools for version control, code refactoring, and collaboration, making them useful for the entire software development process.

5. Are IDEs necessary for scientific research?

While IDEs are not a requirement for scientific research, they can greatly improve the efficiency and accuracy of code development. They provide a more user-friendly interface and tools that are specifically designed for scientific computing, making them a valuable tool for scientists.