Unleashing the Debate: Cats vs. Dogs as the Ultimate Pet Companion

• Thread starter Sophia
  • Start date
In summary: I have a fear of them because I think they are creepy and I've seen some movies where they kill people. But I know they are very cool animals and some people keep them as pets. I don't think I would be able to handle one though, they're so big!In summary, many people keep animals as pets. People who keep animals as pets generally have a strong emotional connection to the animal. People who have had the best pets have tended to be those who are observant, have a great sense of humor, and who are able to provide a lot of love and attention to their pet. The two types of animals that people listed that they don't like are snakes and spiders. People who have had

What are your favourite pets? (multiple choice allowed)

• dogs

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • cats

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • birds

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • fish

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • rodents (rats, guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters...)

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • horses

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • snakes

• lizards

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • spiders

• productive animals (cows, goats, sheep, pigs...)

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • i love ALL of them!!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I can't stand any of these!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sophia
What animals do you keep as a pet or would like to keep if you had optimal conditions?
What do you like about this species?
What was the best pet you ever had?
Cat vs. dog war is allowed in this thread :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The only two types of animals on the list that I don't fancy are snakes and spiders, probably because of some kind of primal fear in me. But I think they are cool animals nevertheless.

My human is my favorite pet

Likes DennisN and ProfuselyQuarky
Sophia said:
What animals do you keep as a pet or would like to keep if you had optimal conditions?
I love hedgehogs. We looked into getting one (not seriously, though) once, but they are apparently illegal to own as pets in California because they're known to carry salmonella. Why I like them? Look!
353511.jpg

Likes Sophia
You left out pigs:frown:. They are smarter than dogs falling between them and dolphins. And they are deeply emotional. And this kind of oversight happens only because they don't cotton to being treated as second class citizens and they the fact that they are delicious :cry:

Our piggy in his "Momma's" arms
boogin11.jpg

Not for eating. "The question is not, can they talk, nor is the question, can they
reason. The question is, can they suffer."

Edit: Some how (senility?) I missed "productive animals" in the poll the first time. And I have a problem with that term. A lot of dogs in my area are working dogs used to help manage other animals. Our little herd of horses are kept as pets and the 40 year old was my daily running companion for many years.

Last edited:
Likes Sophia, Tsu and DennisN
If I could have a pet I would chose a bunny. But in the poll says the name is rodents. I don't like that name :sorry:. I like it because they look cute and it looks like it would be cool to touch them. I want to touch one!

Here's a gif: :oldshy:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, collinsmark, Sophia and 1 other person
Psinter said:
If I could have a pet I would chose a bunny. But in the poll says the name is rodents. I don't like that name :sorry:. I like it because they look cute and it looks like it would be cool to touch them. I want to touch one!
They are cute. And they are very, very soft to touch. One of my best friends raises and sells bunnies (and some other animals too). I'm fortunate to know her, since I love animals. Whenever I come to visit, I get to spend time with horses, cows, birds, dogs, cats, bunnies and sheep.

Likes Psinter
einswine said:
You left out pigs:frown:. They are smarter than dogs falling between them and dolphins. And they are deeply emotional. And this kind of oversight happens only because they don't cotton to being treated as second class citizens and they the fact that they are delicious :cry:

Our piggy in his "Momma's" arms
boogin11.jpg

Not for eating. "The question is not, can they talk, nor is the question, can they
reason. The question is, can they suffer."

Edit: Some how (senility?) I missed "productive animals" in the poll the first time. And I have a problem with that term. A lot of dogs in my area are working dogs used to help manage other animals. Our little herd of horses are kept as pets and the 40 year old was my daily running companion for many years.

I knew that term productive animals can be controversial. I just used commonly used term to put more similar animals in one category, otherwise there would be too many options.
I love piggies, cows and all domestic animals very much and I feel very strongly about animal welfare. I support organisation Compassion in World Farming as well as local organisation that tries to improve life conditions of farm animals.
I to feel that they are underestimated and that they have the same ability to feel and be cute and lovable as other, traditional pets . That's why I put them into category of pets, I guess most people wouldn't think of them that way.

Tell us more about your piggy, what's his name and what about his personality?

Wow a 40 years old horse! That's something. He must have felt your love and good care.

DennisN said:
They are cute. And they are very, very soft to touch.
:)) I so want to touch one. :nb)
DennisN said:
One of my best friends raises and sells bunnies (and some other animals too). I'm fortunate to know her, since I love animals. Whenever I come to visit, I get to spend time with horses, cows, birds, dogs, cats, bunnies and sheep.
I'm so jealous of you and your friend!

Wow, a sheep. I don't think I remember seeing them in real life. They look fluffy in videos. Have you touched them too? The sheeps? :wideeyed:

Murko
https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/423938_3242064767646_1503160600_n.jpg?oh=d36c602993768010162102749ca40e59&oe=5784F6D5

I used to have two cute ratties
(disclaimer for the fellow rat lovers: this is the small cage where I used to put them when the large one was being cleaned. They had far larger living space than recommended by PETA)

https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/999840_207661056052534_927159671_n.jpg?oh=01b972fec10a9d7bee63c8bc04d12445&oe=5797CF1C

And last but not least, her majesty, princess Biba!
https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/207876_1026050528675_6543_n.jpg?oh=8476bc8d9cd3e625f2f31ab67884f86c&oe=574BF157

Likes Psinter and DennisN
Psinter said:
I'm so jealous of you and your friend!
I am fortunate to know her. :smile:
Psinter said:
Wow, a sheep. I don't think I remember seeing them in real life. They look fluffy in videos. Have you touched them too? The sheeps?
Yes, I have touched them. They're pretty fluffy. And kind animals. But bunnies are the softest animals I've touched, they are ridiculously soft.

My friend is a big time animal lover since she was young, and she is very talented with them, I often think of her as something like a real life Doctor Dolittle. :smile:

A story which I will never forget is when she had saved a wild jackdaw which afterwards became attached to her. I met her in the middle of our home city when she was walking around with the bird on her shoulder. Suddenly, the bird flew away, up and over the rooftops, and out of sight. The two of us then stood and talked for a while, and then she started calling the bird's name with a special voice, and out of the blue the bird came back from nowhere and landed on her shoulder. And then they went home. I was completely stunned. She has saved a lot of other animals too.

Likes Psinter and Sophia
Sophia said:
And last but not least, her majesty, princess Biba!
https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/207876_1026050528675_6543_n.jpg?oh=8476bc8d9cd3e625f2f31ab67884f86c&oe=574BF157
Eh?! It's a dog! You are not afraid of dogs? Looks a little big to me, you are not afraid she will bite you?
I like how her ears look. Although last time I checked a dog bit me. Even if she looks nice I'm not risking it. I'll just look at her from the safe side of the fence.
DennisN said:
My friend is a big time animal lover since she was young, and she is very talented with them, I often think of her as something like a real life Doctor Dolittle. :smile:

A story which I will never forget is when she had saved a wild jackdaw which afterwards became attached to her. I met her in the middle of our home city when she was walking around with the bird on her shoulder. Suddenly, the bird flew away, up and over the rooftops, and out of sight. The two of us then stood and talked for a while, and then she started calling the bird's name with a special voice, and out of the blue the bird came back from nowhere and landed on her shoulder. And then they went home. I was completely stunned. She has saved a lot of other animals too.
:bugeye: That's... That's really something. Very talented indeed :bow:. You write it and I can almost imagine how amazing it must have looked. :smile:
DennisN said:
Yes, I have touched them. They're pretty fluffy. And kind animals. But bunnies are the softest animals I've touched, they are ridiculously soft.
Yay! Bunnies for the win! :biggrin:

Sophia said:
Tell us more about your piggy, what's his name and what about his personality?

Well, he's a blue butt (Yorkshire/Hampshire cross) barrow (neutered male), eight years old, weighs about 350 kg, and is even more arthritic than I. His arthritis has made him grumpy and so we now call him Mr. Grumps. He's on max allowed NSAIDs so probably will not last much longer. He is very particular about how things are done and my brother-in-law, who took care of him while we were on vacation a few years back, swore Grumps was constantly telling him, "That's not right, and that's not right, and ..." We got a big laugh out of that as my wife and I keep thinking that's what we hear when we don't do something the way we usually do.

Here is a picture of my wife trying to experimentally determine how many bananas will fit in a pig's mouth.
dscn1710.jpg

And here he is at his 6th birthday party.

boogbi10.jpg

BTW the spots don't show till they are a couple of months old.

Likes x2017, DennisN, Sophia and 1 other person
einswine said:
Here is a picture of my wife trying to experimentally determine how many bananas will fit in a pig's mouth.

he's cuuuute! :kiss:
How many bananas will fit into his mouth? :) And what's he eating in the second picture? is it whipped cream?
Hmmm... Maybe it would be a good idea to get one of those dwarf piggies instead of a dog.

Likes Psinter
einswine said:
Woah, that is a big pig. :smile:

Sophia said:
he's cuuuute! :kiss:
How many bananas will fit into his mouth? :) And what's he eating in the second picture? is it whipped cream?
Hmmm... Maybe it would be a good idea to get one of those dwarf piggies instead of a dog.

Not enough data (she ran out of bananas).
Cheap peach ice cream with topping all pilled on top of a cake.
Until recently we usually ended the parties with a lot of beer followed by a spherical watermelon and watch him try to eat it. They roll away from him when tries to bite them and being a bit drunk makes it rather hilarious. He does eventually get it and seems to enjoy the game and especially the beer.

Pigs can be difficult pets and most so called dwarf pigs mature to 90-140 kg. So I don't recommend them as pets especially if you don't live in the country side. In any case, before you decide to get one be sure to do extensive reading on the problems of keeping "mini" pigs.

Likes Sophia
Psinter said:
Eh?! It's a dog! You are not afraid of dogs? Looks a little big to me, you are not afraid she will bite you?

Yay! Bunnies for the win! :biggrin:

No, she's not a big dog. She weights about 11-12 kg and when she stands her head is somewhere around my knee.
She is not aggressive at all! The only time she tried to bite anyone was when she had a grass grain in her ear and someone tried to look what's wrong with it. That can be categorised as self-defense. Other than that, she's very sensitive and startles easily.
She can also feel when someone's feet or back hurt or when someone has varicose veins she'll come and lick that painful part of the body.
I love bunnies, too :)))

Likes Psinter
DennisN said:
When I come to think of it, it was her that I asked to help us identifying this cutie in the Animal lovers thread :smile: (posted by you, Psinter):
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/for-animal-lovers.583729/page-75
Really? Send her a virtual thanks.

I had nearly forgotten about that one. It's a super cute one. :heart: Although I heard it can eat rabbits :nb) :frown:.
Sophia said:
No, she's not a big dog. She weights about 11-12 kg and when she stands her head is somewhere around my knee.
She is not aggressive at all! The only time she tried to bite anyone was when she had a grass grain in her ear and someone tried to look what's wrong with it. That can be categorised as self-defense. Other than that, she's very sensitive and startles easily.
She can also feel when someone's feet or back hurt or when someone has varicose veins she'll come and lick that painful part of the body.
I love bunnies, too :)))
Hehe. Sounds like a nice dog, apart from great if it can sense those things. :smile:

I'm personally drawn to dogs because I have one, but I enjoy all animals. My girlfriend has four cats, and they are quite entertaining.

Anyway, here's my Husky-GS watching me eat banana bread..
IMG_1298[1].JPG

.. and sulking the instant I finished because I didn't share!

IMG_1299[1].JPG

Likes Sophia
Mondayman said:
I'm personally drawn to dogs because I have one, but I enjoy all animals. My girlfriend has four cats, and they are quite entertaining.

Anyway, here's my Husky-GS watching me eat banana bread..
View attachment 97815

.. and sulking the instant I finished because I didn't share!

View attachment 97816
Ooooh you are so selfish :-)
Our dog asks for food all the time. It's like feeding a black hole :-) (though the poor princess has pancreatic insufficiency meaning she can't digest all the nutrients properly and the enzymes we give her after each meal don't always work 100%.)

Sophia said:
Indeed! :-) Is it akita?
Um, Sophie? I think you are talking to a robot :oldlaugh:. That dog is famous on the internet and it's a he, not a she like the robot said. And that picture is a wallpaper that is all over the internet. The name is Boo if I'm not mistaking.

I reported it anyways. It should be gone in a whiles.

What about your cat? Is it a he or a she?

Psinter said:
Um, Sophie? I think you are talking to a robot :oldlaugh:. That dog is famous on the internet and it's a he, not a she like the robot said. And that picture is a wallpaper that is all over the internet. The name is Boo if I'm not mistaking.

I reported it anyways. It should be gone in a whiles.

What about your cat? Is it a he or a she?
Thanks Psinter, I didn't get it. Those robots are awful.

My cat is a he. He's an ordinary street mix. He's very sweet, quiet and sensitive. His favourite activity is sleeping on a pillow near radiator :-)
He's afraid of strangers and hides under the bed when visitors come. But he comes to me and my mum when we are sitting or lying and starts kneading and purring. They also sleep together with the dog and the dog thinks she's his mom. He was only 7 weeks old when we got him and she adopted him as her son :-) He's a true sweetheart :-)

Sophia said:
Thanks Psinter, I didn't get it. Those robots are awful.

My cat is a he. He's an ordinary street mix. He's very sweet, quiet and sensitive. His favourite activity is sleeping on a pillow near radiator :-)
He's afraid of strangers and hides under the bed when visitors come. But he comes to me and my mum when we are sitting or lying and starts kneading and purring. They also sleep together with the dog and the dog thinks she's his mom. He was only 7 weeks old when we got him and she adopted him as her son :-) He's a true sweetheart :-)
Haha, seems like a sweet cat. He must look cute seeking the radiator for warm. :oldshy:

Likes Sophia

What are your favorite pets?

As a scientist, I do not have personal pets. However, based on scientific research and observations, some of the most popular pets include dogs, cats, fish, birds, and rodents.

What makes these pets popular?

These pets are popular because they offer companionship, entertainment, and emotional support. They also have varying levels of care requirements, making them suitable for different lifestyles.

What are the benefits of having pets?

Having pets has been linked to numerous physical and mental health benefits, such as reduced stress, increased exercise, and improved mood. Pets can also help with socialization and provide a sense of purpose.

Are there any downsides to owning pets?

Like any responsibility, owning pets does come with some downsides. These may include financial costs for food and veterinary care, potential allergies, and the need for proper training and discipline.

What should people consider before getting a pet?

Before getting a pet, it is important to consider your lifestyle, living space, and ability to provide proper care. Researching the specific needs and characteristics of the pet you are interested in is also crucial.