Greatest fears:
1. loss of a loved one before their time;
2. being buried alive;
3. not achieving my dreams (the good ones, not the nightmares);
4. being severely bummed by some donkey-d1cked prison inmate;
5. being in prison in general, really;
6. being afraid when the occassion calls for courage;
7. not seeing some semblance of world peace in my own lifetime;
8. oblivion... not death so much... I have trouble falling asleep because fear of unconsciousness wakes me up... weird, huh?
9. scorpions;
10. guns;
11. scorpions with guns;
12. guns filled with scorpion venom;
13. religious fanatics;
14. religious fanatics with guns and scorpions;
15. my parents next phone call;
16. permanent and complete loss of sight;
17. permanent and complete loss of motor skills (those two together would be kinda like being buried alive);
18. drowning;
19. burning to death;
20. my past.

yourdadonapogostick said:
as for the rest, it's not me. so, i dont think i have APD.
Some theorists say that all of the personality disorders have corresponding functional personality styles. For example, the functional variant of the narcissistic personality disordered person would be a person with a lot of self esteem, but also the ability to withdraw from that narrow view of himself and others and see the big social picture such that he can interact functionally in society.

Last edited:
I'm afraid of every kind of dangers and risks...
Ahha, girls are like that >_^

honestrosewater

Gold Member
hitssquad said:
I would consider getting rid of the carpet since it can harbor unhealthy biologicals as well as be a fire danger. If you don't have radiant heating in your slab, getting rid of the carpet could be a somewhat painful option.
I'm renting from my mom now, so I can't change much. When my symptoms improve, I can hopefully live by myself again. :!!) My house will be very safe.
By the way, what else is your ceiling made of? Do the wooden beams have plywood nailed to them? Does your house look like this?
Okay, the ceiling is just like the interior walls- drywall (or possibly plaster) -> wooden joists & isulation -> attic. I'm pretty sure the house was built in the 1970's.

Danger

Gold Member
lwymarie said:
I'm afraid of every kind of dangers and risks...
Ahha, girls are like that >_^
Now, now, my dear... you needn't be afraid of all kinds of Dangers... :tongue2:

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Getting castrated.

I think that one's pretty high on any male's list.
If that's only El Hombre's 21. biggest fear, I'd be very surprised..

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
yourdadonapogostick said:
what do i fear? i can honestly say that i don't fear anything.
Really?
Somehow, I don't think so...

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
About the only fear is - Loss of a loved one before their time - as it pertains to my children and my wife, siblings and their family members, and various close friends.

I've already lived through the death of my youngest brother. I would prefer not to go through that again.

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
When my symptoms improve, I can hopefully live by myself again. :!!) My house will be very safe.
Great. Maybe your mom would be willing to cosign for a small empy lot and you could build one of these single-occupant dome homes on it:
http://www.monolithic.com/plan_design/house_plans/1/1008.html [Broken]

If you figure ~$90-$100 per square foot, an IO-20 would cost you ~$28,000-$31,500 to build, all finished out.

Last edited by a moderator:

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
All right; just in order not to appear totally self-centred, I'd guess that what I really dread is that someone I hold dear becomes the victim of a debilitating disease where I gradually see how a wonderful person withers away, and that that person senses his/hers inevitable outcome as well.

Last edited:
21. being castrated;
22. being castrated with a spoon;
23. being castrated with a tea towel;
24. my teeth falling out;
25. finishing up on my visit to the red light district, opening my wallet and... there's nothing in it, then looking up as some big bald dude holding a truncheon opens the door;
26. talking monkeys;
27. sarcastic talking monkeys;
28. courgettes;
29. biting into a clove;
30. opening a can of peaches but instead it's just fill of maggots and lies;
31. premature ejaculation (hasn't happened thus far, touch wood... wait... oh, the shame);
32. being worthless;
33. being worth a lot.... DEAD;
34. death by paper cuts;
35. going to kiss my girlfriend and she turns into a green, rotting corpse (I've watched The Shining too many times late at night);
36. sitting down to write a best-selling novel but as I look at what I've written every sentence is like: "100,000 seconds to live. 99,995 seconds to live. 99,990 seconds to live..." [shiver]
37. calling my boss 'mummy';
38. calling my girlfriend 'mummy';
39. men whose eyes point in different directions;
40. the ending of Don't Look Now...

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
i fear most any kind of snake, being up high (especially on a ladder), and my car breaking down in the middle of nowhere.

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
El Hombre Invisible said:
21. being castrated;
24. my teeth falling out;
25. finishing up on my visit to the red light district, opening my wallet and... there's nothing in it, then looking up as some big bald dude holding a truncheon opens the door;
26. talking monkeys;
27. sarcastic talking monkeys;
28. courgettes;
29. biting into a clove;
30. opening a can of peaches but instead it's just fill of maggots and lies;
31. premature ejaculation (hasn't happened thus far, touch wood... wait... oh, the shame);
32. being worthless;
33. being worth a lot.... DEAD;
34. death by paper cuts;
35. going to kiss my girlfriend and she turns into a green, rotting corpse (I've watched The Shining too many times late at night);
36. sitting down to write a best-selling novel but as I look at what I've written every sentence is like: "100,000 seconds to live. 99,995 seconds to live. 99,990 seconds to live..." [shiver]
37. calling my boss 'mummy';
38. calling my girlfriend 'mummy';
39. men whose eyes point in different directions;
I would have put courgettes much higher up the list - right behind heights (especially high things that sway in the wind), rocks (especially the submerged ones that you don't see coming), skunks looking for a warm comfy place to sleep (in your sleeping bag .... while you're in it!), being out in the open during a lightning storm, and getting my tie caught in a paper shredder.

that suicide would hurt your loved ones

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
As for dogs, I have never been afraid of dogs having much less body weight than I. But when they weigh 160 - 200 LBs or more... :surprised That could be a problem.

One time I was nearly killed or seriously injured by three Great Danes. I was at a neighbor's who had a momma dane, and her two now full grown offspring. I would imagine that they each weighed between 120 - 180 Lbs. with one of the males being very large - possibly in the 200 Lb range. Everyone had gone inside or left while I continued to rough house with the dogs, which had all in good fun, but when the dogs saw that we were alone, all three suddenly became very aggressive. It reached a point that I was literally fighting for my life. I called for help but no one heard my call. They had me backing up and trying to avoid getting cornered, deflecting one attack after another while sustaining cuts and bites, when the owners finally came back out and broke things up. Looking back now, I should have insisted that they have the dogs destroyed. At the time I was in peak condition as an athlete. Anyone with less strength may not have been able to sustain the attacks. I have never trusted any dog since; not as I once did anyway. And there is no doubt in my mind that any pack of large dogs is a disaster waiting to happen. They can revert to a [wild] pack mentality at the flick of switch.

Last edited:
arildno said:
Really?
Somehow, I don't think so...
why?

21. being castrated;
do you know they can do it with a rubberband and a plastic spork? :devil:

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
My one true fear is going down with a terminal illness and suffering a lot of pain, and being so incapacitated that I couldn't even end my own life. That's what I'm scared of.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
hitssquad said:
You can't escape if you are sleeping. Your smoke alarm might wake you up. Or not.
http://www.poynter.org/dg.lts/id.2/aid.9596/column.htm [Broken]

--
"With Lt. Ingram pointing out that fires can spread to an inferno in four minutes or less, parents were unnerved by their children's inability to wake up to the alarm. In every case, smoke detectors rang in the house for at least six minutes, with the children never waking up. Parents then attempted to wake their children by other means.

"With mom shouting, Emily Carlson woke, but was still unaware of the potential danger. Surprisingly, even shouting didn't wake two other children in our (KXAS) tests.

"'I assumed the kids would wake up in two to three minutes. If nothing else, because it's such an irritating sound. I never dreamed it would take the kids so long to respond to that,' Ingram said.
That's something that does worry me. I have slept through fire alarms, and loud ones at that, though fortunately, only a drill (when I lived in dorms). I have an amazing ability to sleep through all sorts of noise (can't get to sleep with noise, but once I'm asleep, it's very hard to wake me). I got smoke detectors for my house that have lights on them (they're supposed to be for lighting stairwells or exits, but I got them hoping the bright light will wake me if the sound doesn't).

Though, I can't say it's my greatest fear; if I never woke up, it wouldn't be a painful death.

I worry more about things like falling down the stairs and being too badly injured to get up and get help, and nobody else being around to know until it's too late.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Moonbear said:
I worry more about things like falling down the stairs and being too badly injured to get up and get help, and nobody else being around to know until it's too late.
Or like that poor hiker who had his arm pinned under a large rock and had to cut his own arm off with a pocket knife. That could be a pretty tough situation if you hadn't sharpened your pocket knife in a while (I forgot about that fear - a dull pocket knife).

I have a pretty good fear of dentist's as well. I seem to have a section where the nerves take a detour and they won't go numb. Once it took shot after shot with the dentist finally assuring me, "This one will work for sure. It's the long lasting novocaine and you've got enough of it to leave your entire jaw numb for the rest of the day." Gee, thanks. And a :surprised double thanks when he :surprised starts drilling and the :surprised tooth still isn't numb! :surprised Of course, the silver lining was that, with a hole drilled in my tooth, he could shoot the novocaine directly into the tooth - that one worked.

The novocaine did last a long time. Fortunately, the only thing I had to do was stop at the gas station. I wouldn't even have to talk. I'd just hand her money. Unfortunately, there was a gas leak or something, so the pumps shut off and we all had to walk across the street and stare longingly at our cars sitting in the gas station. After a long wait, we finally had the all clear to get our cars, but no more gas and no one could go in the store. The gas station attendent was pretty helpful, "If you have exact change, you can pay for your gas and go." My pump stopped at $13.57 - who carries exactly $13.57 in their pocket - and no one could even understand me when I complained - they just stared at me! Finally, after a long struggle, I was able to communicate and was able to just give my credit card number and the price to the gas station attendent so I could leave, go home, lay down, and feel miserably violated by having had so many sharp objects stuck in my mouth.

Last edited:

JamesU

Gold Member
what was don't look now? was it that one where the little girl was killed wearing that red raincoat, and there are a bunch of murders around the town? if so, that's a really weird ending.

Evo

Mentor
honestrosewater said:
I'm renting from my mom now, so I can't change much. When my symptoms improve, I can hopefully live by myself again. :!!) My house will be very safe.
Okay, the ceiling is just like the interior walls- drywall (or possibly plaster) -> wooden joists & isulation -> attic. I'm pretty sure the house was built in the 1970's.
You'd like my mom's house, it is steel framed and brick. The interior walls are sheetrock, the floors are stone over concrete (one floor ranch, no basement due to water tables), the roof is some non-flammable material, covered with crushed marble. There is no wood, no carpets, no drapes (metal blinds). I guess you could set fire to the furniture.

My friend in Italy designed the perfect home for me...all concrete, floors, walls, etc... There will be a drain in the middle of the concrete floor. All of the furniture is attached to chains hanging from the ceiling, when I'm ready to clean, I hit a button and all of the furniture lifts up off the floor, I get out my large hose and hose everything down (water and dirt washes down the drain), blowers turn on and dry everything, then the furniture is lowered back to the floor. House spotless in less than 5 minutes. Perfect for the busy executive lifestyle. :biggrin:

That is basically how those kiosk automatic-bathrooms on Market Street in San Francisco work, Evo, minus the furniture on chains.

But they do sell furniture with chains in San Francisco..lol

honestrosewater

Gold Member
Wow, you guys have some good fears. :wink:

I've almost slept through a fire drill in a dorm too. I woke up wondering what the heck that loud noise was but figured it out when I went to ask and couldn't find anyone. Heh.
Ivan,
Have you ever seen the show The Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Channel? It helped me feel more prepared to deal with loose dogs. There's also special dog spray (like pepper spray for dogs) that you can carry for emergencies. I've never tried it but probably will; The alternative, a dog whistle, just doesn't seem to cut it.

Having my throat cut out...it scares the crap out of me. Well, most ways of dying scare the crap out me. I don't want the last thing on my mind to be, oh sh!t this is really it.

Townsend (shivers)