What are your greatest fears?

honestrosewater

Gold Member
Townsend said:
Having my throat cut out...it scares the crap out of me. Well, most ways of dying scare the crap out me. I don't want the last thing on my mind to be, oh sh!t this is really it.

Townsend (shivers)
I happen to know someone who had their throat slit and survived. She sustained other serious injuries too. She has said she didn't feel pain and was able to still think rationally. In fact, even though she was attacked in her sleep and was seriously injured, she even thought about which way was safer to run for help (the intruder had cut the phone lines). I've heard many other stories like this, the hiker BobG mentioned, and it amazes me how well people manage to cope with disaster. - If that is any comfort to you. :smile:

honestrosewater said:
I happen to know someone who had their throat slit and survived. She sustained other serious injuries too. She has said she didn't feel pain and was able to still think rationally. In fact, even though she was attacked in her sleep and was seriously injured, she even thought about which way was safer to run for help (the intruder had cut the phone lines). I've heard many other stories like this, the hiker BobG mentioned, and it amazes me how well people manage to cope with disaster. - If that is any comfort to you. :smile:
I don't know...have you ever watched that Nick Berg video? I saw that and I was like :surprised

:yuck: <----not for me man, no way...

honestrosewater

Gold Member
Townsend said:
I don't know...have you ever watched that Nick Berg video? I saw that and I was like :surprised

:yuck: <----not for me man, no way...
No, in fact we had a discussion here about whether or not to watch it, and I decided not to. His and others circumstances are certainly heart-wrenching. I can't really say anything comforting about situations where shock and panic are not as prominent; I think it depends more on the character of the individual.

honestrosewater said:
His and others circumstances are certainly heart-wrenching.
They are also head-wrenching.

hitssquad said:
:yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

honestrosewater said:
What about stinging or biting insects? Jungles have some really nasty ant species.
I don't think I'd care too much about ground bugs outside. I can either walk away from them or just.. step on them. I think it's more a matter of them being in my apartment. This is especially true for mosquittos. If I see a mosquitto in my apartment, I will literally hunt it down. I refuse the idea of going to sleep and being an easy target. And yes, I've spent hours hunting a mosquitto when I should be sleeping. I realize now that I should probably seek professional help.

honestrosewater

Gold Member
hitssquad said:
Dexter, get off of hitssquad's computer! Shame on you. :devil:

honestrosewater

Gold Member
Jelfish said:
I don't think I'd care too much about ground bugs outside. I can either walk away from them or just.. step on them.
I'd like to see you step on a swarm of a million army ants! Eh, okay, no I wouldn't, and there probably aren't many in NY anyway.
I think it's more a matter of them being in my apartment. This is especially true for mosquittos. If I see a mosquitto in my apartment, I will literally hunt it down. I refuse the idea of going to sleep and being an easy target. And yes, I've spent hours hunting a mosquitto when I should be sleeping. I realize now that I should probably seek professional help.
Hours does seem excessive. Does it really upset you that much, or are you more just being stubborn?

honestrosewater said:
Dexter, get off of hitssquad's computer!
Please don't lose your head, Rose.

honestrosewater

Gold Member
hitssquad said:
Please don't lose your head, Rose.
What's that? You're also afraid of castration? Well, I know one way to solve that problem...

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
I don't think I have any kind of antisocial disorder - I'm not generally very impulsive or malevolent or anything, but I do seem to have a lot of social apathy. I'm not fearless by any means, but I have always had a problem with not having enough fear. Punishment hardly works on me at all. I consider the consequences of my actions, but I'm very aloof about it. I just assume that since I've been able to live happily in every situation I've been in, that will continue to be the case, so I'm not afraid of any great change. Ground me? Take away a possession of mine? Hit me? So what? I've always had the belief that there is nothing another person could do to me short of permanently disabling me that would really hurt me. I have the normal fight-or-flight response to impending physical pain, but it doesn't scare me. I'm almost never willing to admit that I'm in any real danger, even if I am. It's always made me wonder what I'd be like in combat - I always picture a less eccentric Captain Kilgore.

Anyway, I don't want to give the impression that I have no fear. I experience every emotion that any other human does, including fear, but I ask myself this same question quite frequently and I can never seem to come up with an answer. There doesn't seem to be any specific thing or event I can think of that truly scares me, and honestly, I find it silly when other people are scared. The lack of a strong emotional response to things that my peers take quite seriously seems to frustrate them to no end. Is there a disorder for that, hits? I seem to function perfectly well, aside from pissing off girlfriends by laughing at all the threats that women make to control men (it's amazing how angry people can get when they realize they don't have any power over you). The only one that actually bothers me is when someone threatens to destroy something I've created. I wouldn't say I get scared, but I can have a rather violent response.

BobG said:
I would have put courgettes much higher up the list - right behind heights (especially high things that sway in the wind), rocks (especially the submerged ones that you don't see coming), skunks looking for a warm comfy place to sleep (in your sleeping bag .... while you're in it!), being out in the open during a lightning storm, and getting my tie caught in a paper shredder.
All hail, fellow courgette-hater. Where did your aversion come from? Myself, I was a cucucumber addict from a very young age and, when I was about 5 or 6, I serruptitiously went into the fridge as I was wont, pulled out my favorite salad vegetable, bit into it, chewed, and... it was a courgette. That moment has stayed with me for the rest of my life. It may be the last thing I think of as I embrace death in my last moments. They should be banned.

yourdadonapogostick said:
do you know they can do it with a rubberband and a plastic spork? :devil:
Jesus, I came here to talk about my existing phobias for theraputic reasons... now you're giving me new ones!!!!

yomamma said:
what was don't look now? was it that one where the little girl was killed wearing that red raincoat, and there are a bunch of murders around the town? if so, that's a really weird ending.
That's the one. Freaky midget murderers.

honestrosewater said:
I'd like to see you step on a swarm of a million army ants! Eh, okay, no I wouldn't, and there probably aren't many in NY anyway.
Hours does seem excessive. Does it really upset you that much, or are you more just being stubborn?
I think it's paranoia.

JamesU

Gold Member
my fear is ending up in those traps they had in the monie 'saw'. that was pretty much one of the only movies that's ever scared me.

sharks are seriously my only fear, which is strange because I think they are beautiful and I have a lot of respect for a species that has survived for so long. I think its more the idea of being hunted underwater. to say that I have a fear of sharks is not quite correct, but I believe its more a fear of ocean. perhaps because it is so large and open... and mysterious. theres so much we dont know. anything grabbing me from underneath the water with a mind to rip me to bits and swallow me up. thats my one and only fear. sometimes I have rational fears, but its more like, if my horse hits that stone wall we are going to die. I can turn that kind of fear off. I think we need to remember that its fear that keeps us alive. Im afraid of bugs too I guess. I think I am more so just creeped out. too many legs..skeletons on the outside...its just not natural. bats and snakes are my friends. I have to admit I enjoy killing bugs. but I have nightmares about being eaten alive in the ocen by sharks. Ive never even been in the ocean...

honestrosewater

Gold Member
Jelfish said:
I think it's paranoia.
How do you mean? You're afraid of what might happen? Paranoia, as I've seen it used, involves delusions, and knowing that you're delusional doesn't make much sense to me. But whatever, I'll let it go if you want. :smile:
BTW, identifying how it makes you feel (angry, threatened, anxious, disgusted) and what specifically triggers your feelings (seeing a real bug, a picture of a bug, thinking of the possibility of a bug being in your apartment) can give you some insight into what's going on.

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
How do you mean? You're afraid of what might happen? Paranoia, as I've seen it used, involves delusions, and knowing that you're delusional doesn't make much sense to me. But whatever, I'll let it go if you want. :smile:
BTW, identifying how it makes you feel (angry, threatened, anxious, disgusted) and what specifically triggers your feelings (seeing a real bug, a picture of a bug, thinking of the possibility of a bug being in your apartment) can give you some insight into what's going on.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "what's going on." I care the most when it's in the same room that I'll be sleeping in. The thing that goes through my mind is "hunt or be hunted" (I realize this sounds ridiculously melodramatic). Does that count as a delusion? And really, it's just mosquitos. I think I may have had a traumatic childhood experience or something.

honestrosewater

Gold Member
I'm not an expert on this or anything; I've just learned a few things in dealing with my own disorder (I'm not suggesting you even have a problem, BTW).
Jelfish said:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "what's going on."
I just mean the cause of your behavior.
I care the most when it's in the same room that I'll be sleeping in. The thing that goes through my mind is "hunt or be hunted" (I realize this sounds ridiculously melodramatic). Does that count as a delusion?
I don't really know. Believing that mosquitos were hunting you specifically, without having any evidence to justify your belief, would probably be considered a delusion. But just believing a mosquito could bite you is rational; It happens all the time.
It's just that a mosquito doesn't seem to pose much of a threat, other than transmitting disease. But you didn't say it was disease that bothered you. It's not a big deal, and I don't mean to push it; It just kind of interested me- how mosquitos were singled out.

Don't worry. I don't mind.

One time when I was very young, a mosquito sucked some of my blood and started flying away clumsily(very full, mind you). It landed on a wall and my father killed it and it left a very noticable streak of blood on the wall. Also, the sound of mosquitos flying near my ear really annoys me. I can usually tell that it's a mosquito too because the timbre of the mosquito buzz. I'm not even sure it's the getting bitten part that bothers me because bug bites don't bother me that much past being itchy. It probably has more to do with the fact that they suck my blood. I'm not really affraid of blood though (I volunteer for an ambulence service).

honestrosewater

Gold Member
Jelfish said:
Don't worry. I don't mind.

One time when I was very young, a mosquito sucked some of my blood and started flying away clumsily(very full, mind you). It landed on a wall and my father killed it and it left a very noticable streak of blood on the wall. Also, the sound of mosquitos flying near my ear really annoys me. I can usually tell that it's a mosquito too because the timbre of the mosquito buzz. I'm not even sure it's the getting bitten part that bothers me because bug bites don't bother me that much past being itchy. It probably has more to do with the fact that they suck my blood. I'm not really affraid of blood though (I volunteer for an ambulence service).
Do you other blood-suckers bother you? Or getting your blood drawn in general?

loseyourname said:
I don't think I have any kind of antisocial disorder - I'm not generally very impulsive or malevolent or anything, but I do seem to have a lot of social apathy. I'm not fearless by any means, but I have always had a problem with not having enough fear. Punishment hardly works on me at all. I consider the consequences of my actions, but I'm very aloof about it. I just assume that since I've been able to live happily in every situation I've been in, that will continue to be the case, so I'm not afraid of any great change. Ground me? Take away a possession of mine? Hit me? So what? I've always had the belief that there is nothing another person could do to me short of permanently disabling me that would really hurt me. I have the normal fight-or-flight response to impending physical pain, but it doesn't scare me. I'm almost never willing to admit that I'm in any real danger, even if I am. It's always made me wonder what I'd be like in combat - I always picture a less eccentric Captain Kilgore.

Anyway, I don't want to give the impression that I have no fear. I experience every emotion that any other human does, including fear, but I ask myself this same question quite frequently and I can never seem to come up with an answer. There doesn't seem to be any specific thing or event I can think of that truly scares me, and honestly, I find it silly when other people are scared. The lack of a strong emotional response to things that my peers take quite seriously seems to frustrate them to no end. Is there a disorder for that, hits? I seem to function perfectly well, aside from pissing off girlfriends by laughing at all the threats that women make to control men (it's amazing how angry people can get when they realize they don't have any power over you). The only one that actually bothers me is when someone threatens to destroy something I've created. I wouldn't say I get scared, but I can have a rather violent response.
I'm speechless loseyourname. I've always thought of you as being.. quite different from myself, yet, I couldn't have explained myself better. Makes you wonder.
The lack of a strong emotional response to things that my peers take quite seriously seems to frustrate them to no end. Is there a disorder for that, hits?
Yes, I suppose you could call thinking a disorder in today's society.

honestrosewater said:
Do you other blood-suckers bother you? Or getting your blood drawn in general?
I haven't experience many other blood suckers, so it's possible. I don't have any qualms about getting blood drawn. Although one time during highschool, I decided to donate some blood. The nurse who set me up was apparently not very experience and wasn't sure (or nervous) of the best spot on my arm where she should stick the syringe-like pointy end. So she looks on the inside of my elbow, mutters under her breath "here goes nothing" and with a look of utter fright sticks it into my arm. Luckily she hit the right spot and I didn't have to repeat that process, which some of my classmates unfortunately experienced 3 to 4 times. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that it's a bug.

PAPD vs the laid-back personality style

loseyourname said:
There doesn't seem to be any specific thing or event I can think of that truly scares me, and honestly, I find it silly when other people are scared. The lack of a strong emotional response to things that my peers take quite seriously seems to frustrate them to no end. Is there a disorder for that, hits?
Some theorists propose that the non-dysfunctional complement to passive-aggressive personality disorder (PAPD) is the laid-back personality style. According to that view, a pervasively angry, inflexibly laid-back person would be PAPD.
toad.net/~arcturus/dd/papd.htm

Mk

honestrosewater said:
Have you ever seen the show The Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Channel? It helped me feel more prepared to deal with loose dogs. There's also special dog spray (like pepper spray for dogs) that you can carry for emergencies. I've never tried it but probably will; The alternative, a dog whistle, just doesn't seem to cut it.
Sissy! I'm just use my 12-guage. The dogs don't seem to like it very much.

And I never leave home without my HCl.

Underwater entrapment, Sting-Rays, and Monkeys/Apes. I rather dislike Clowns as well, but that's a bit more superficial. Also, the thought of dying from something like a sudden heart arrythmia is rather worrying to me. Very painful, and slow enough to be tortuous, but not slow enough to say goodbye to your loved ones or to make preparations.