What are the most terrifying ways to die?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various fears and phobias, including being eaten by a Great White shark, being trapped in a natural disaster, and the fear of failure. The individuals also share their specific fears, such as death, bugs, and losing control of themselves. They also mention seeking help for their fears and confronting them.
loseyourname said:
I don't think I have any kind of antisocial disorder - I'm not generally very impulsive or malevolent or anything, but I do seem to have a lot of social apathy. I'm not fearless by any means, but I have always had a problem with not having enough fear. Punishment hardly works on me at all. I consider the consequences of my actions, but I'm very aloof about it. I just assume that since I've been able to live happily in every situation I've been in, that will continue to be the case, so I'm not afraid of any great change. Ground me? Take away a possession of mine? Hit me? So what? I've always had the belief that there is nothing another person could do to me short of permanently disabling me that would really hurt me. I have the normal fight-or-flight response to impending physical pain, but it doesn't scare me. I'm almost never willing to admit that I'm in any real danger, even if I am. It's always made me wonder what I'd be like in combat - I always picture a less eccentric Captain Kilgore.

Anyway, I don't want to give the impression that I have no fear. I experience every emotion that any other human does, including fear, but I ask myself this same question quite frequently and I can never seem to come up with an answer. There doesn't seem to be any specific thing or event I can think of that truly scares me, and honestly, I find it silly when other people are scared. The lack of a strong emotional response to things that my peers take quite seriously seems to frustrate them to no end. Is there a disorder for that, hits? I seem to function perfectly well, aside from pissing off girlfriends by laughing at all the threats that women make to control men (it's amazing how angry people can get when they realize they don't have any power over you). The only one that actually bothers me is when someone threatens to destroy something I've created. I wouldn't say I get scared, but I can have a rather violent response.
I'm speechless loseyourname. I've always thought of you as being.. quite different from myself, yet, I couldn't have explained myself better. Makes you wonder.
The lack of a strong emotional response to things that my peers take quite seriously seems to frustrate them to no end. Is there a disorder for that, hits?
Yes, I suppose you could call thinking a disorder in today's society.

Physics news on Phys.org
honestrosewater said:
Do you other blood-suckers bother you? Or getting your blood drawn in general?

I haven't experience many other blood suckers, so it's possible. I don't have any qualms about getting blood drawn. Although one time during high school, I decided to donate some blood. The nurse who set me up was apparently not very experience and wasn't sure (or nervous) of the best spot on my arm where she should stick the syringe-like pointy end. So she looks on the inside of my elbow, mutters under her breath "here goes nothing" and with a look of utter fright sticks it into my arm. Luckily she hit the right spot and I didn't have to repeat that process, which some of my classmates unfortunately experienced 3 to 4 times. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that it's a bug.

PAPD vs the laid-back personality style

loseyourname said:
There doesn't seem to be any specific thing or event I can think of that truly scares me, and honestly, I find it silly when other people are scared. The lack of a strong emotional response to things that my peers take quite seriously seems to frustrate them to no end. Is there a disorder for that, hits?
Some theorists propose that the non-dysfunctional complement to passive-aggressive personality disorder (PAPD) is the laid-back personality style. According to that view, a pervasively angry, inflexibly laid-back person would be PAPD.
toad.net/~arcturus/dd/papd.htm

honestrosewater said:
Have you ever seen the show The Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Channel? It helped me feel more prepared to deal with loose dogs. There's also special dog spray (like pepper spray for dogs) that you can carry for emergencies. I've never tried it but probably will; The alternative, a dog whistle, just doesn't seem to cut it.

Sissy! I'm just use my 12-guage. The dogs don't seem to like it very much.

And I never leave home without my HCl.

Underwater entrapment, Sting-Rays, and Monkeys/Apes. I rather dislike Clowns as well, but that's a bit more superficial. Also, the thought of dying from something like a sudden heart arrythmia is rather worrying to me. Very painful, and slow enough to be tortuous, but not slow enough to say goodbye to your loved ones or to make preparations.