What Are Your Most Irrational Fears?

• Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date
In summary, Yikes! people have different phobias, spiders are creepy, and heights make people feel uneasy.
Imparcticle
Yikes!

What are your phobias?
I am seriouly scared of DOGS. I'm so scared of them, I have the ability to sense the presence of a dog by listening to the clicking of its leesh or its way of breathing or the sounds it makes when it walks. usually, its by the leesh or the breathing.

:eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
RATS

definitely, don't even want to be near the word, so sorry I can't elaborate.

Spiders... :frown:

Hideous manifestations of pure unadultarated EVIL

Exams. I'm sitting for an exam soon. I can almost work myself up now.

recon said:
Exams. I'm sitting for an exam soon. I can almost work myself up now.
Good luck. :wink: My exam will finish next Wednesday, 4.30pm.

I LIKE dogs. :biggrin:
I like rats, expecially those which are pinned on a wax board waiting for being dissected. :biggrin:
Spiders... well I don't really hate them but I don't like them neither.

I HATE EXAMS! I just did a quick calculation. I'm now 18 years old and have already gone through 3 public exams. My first public exam took place when I was 11 years old and I'm still sitting for the last one. Excluding the public exams, I have had 36 school exams throughout my life and infinitely many tests, quizzes and dictations. Merely in the past 4 years, I had about 200 tests. :eek:

Now what I'm really scared of is that I cannot get an offer to majoy the subject that I like in university.

one word: jimmy p

We live in a country area, and our laundry room is not really part of the house. Recently we've found 5 Black Widows in there.

I can't figure out why :confused: but for some reason I've developed a phobia of laundry rooms.

LW Sleeth said:
I can't figure out why :confused: but for some reason I've developed a phobia of laundry rooms.
We all know that is where the sock-eating monsters lives :rolleyes:

Mountains of all things. I was raised in the south, smack dab in tornado alley. We got hit three times by tornado's but with the mountains so close to us, we could never see them coming soon enough to get into a safe (r) room. We could hear the tornado but by then it's right on top of us. This was before any type of effective warning or radar system existed.

We moved out west where it's wide open. As far as I'm concerned, the antelope, jackalope, cougars and grizzly bears are so much safer than a mountain. Even today, if I have to go back south for a funeral or something, those mountains close in because I can't see past them. I have to go clean the bathroom or go to a room with covered windows to get the itchy or sweaty palms to go away.

I like to go camping and stuff, but I tend to always locate a small enclosed area I can go to for awhile if I need to.

edit: fixed a really stupid spelling error

Last edited:
tribdog said:
one word: jimmy p

HEY! :mad: I'm going to get you tribdog! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

BLUE_CHIP said:
Spiders

I hear you. I can't get near the smallest of them. And those jumping ones make me want to jump back away from them.

jimmy p said:
HEY! :mad: I'm going to get you tribdog! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
AIIIIIIEEEEE! *faint*

Monique said:
We all know that is where the sock-eating monsters lives :rolleyes:

Hey, that gives me any idea of how to wipe them out . . . I'll leave some socks in the laundry room that've been in my locker for a couple of weeks.

Chrono said:
I hear you. I can't get near the smallest of them. And those jumping ones make me want to jump back away from them.

Yes, I'm afraid of them too. Have you ever noticed that they actually have a creepy hunting-mind of their own? They follow me around sometimes. And once, one of them was close to me, close enough that I could see its evil fangs moving. :eek: eew.

I forgot to mention my phobia. Them big ass spiders that live in Iraq, you know the ones that Ivan had a thread about.

snakes

What's with this 10 letter minimum?

Mediocrity

I have a fear of heights - flight in particular. Although I have never allowed this to prevent me from doing anything that I can think of, flying used to bother me quite a bit. Funny thing is that I went and flew Air Combat and had no problem taking the plane to its absolute limit – until it began to shudder. I can’t figure out why this didn’t bother me. Very strange…

I'm not sure, but this phobia may have something to do with my ~30 foot fall from a tree as a kid...and maybe also ten years later almost riding down the 900 foot drop at Feather Falls, California, but this seems to go back to early childhood. I have had nightmares about plane crashes my entire life...not very comforting when I have to fly...like tomorrow. I was also flying regularly, immediately after 911, and I flew back from New York on a 7:30 AM., American Airlines flight, on Sept 11, 2002. Although I know this is an irrational response, this terror situation does not help my comfort level much.

Considering that I have this slight fear or sense that I will die in a plane crash, which I refuse accept or to allow this to interfere with my life, it is ironic that my work often puts me on planes. This was not exactly a welcome turn of events.

After thinking about this a bit I must admit that this phobia may have influenced my decision not to try skydiving. I really wanted try the ride but I just can’t see myself jumping out of the plane and feeling good about it.

What are your phobias?

1. What is a phobia?

A phobia is an extreme and irrational fear of a specific object, situation, or activity.

2. How do phobias develop?

Phobias can develop through a variety of factors, including genetic predisposition, traumatic experiences, and learned behaviors.

3. What are some common phobias?

Some common phobias include arachnophobia (fear of spiders), acrophobia (fear of heights), and claustrophobia (fear of confined spaces).

4. Are phobias treatable?

Yes, phobias can be treated through therapy, medication, and exposure techniques.

5. Can phobias be cured?

While phobias can be treated and managed, they may never fully go away. However, with proper treatment, individuals can learn to cope and live with their phobias without them interfering with daily life.