What Happens to a Stationary Bowling Ball in an Expanding Universe?

• Thread starter DARKSYDE
  • Start date
In summary, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, there is no such thing as being "truly stationary" in the universe. Everything is in motion relative to something else and there are no absolute reference frames. Therefore, it is not possible for a bowling ball to remain truly stationary in an expanding universe. However, we can still use various objects in the universe as reference points for defining our own motion and determining how fast we are traveling relative to them. Ultimately, any notion of being stationary is relative and not absolute.
DARKSYDE
what would happen to a bowling ball if it were to remain truly stationary in a region of space in an expanding universe? assume the experiment will compensate any effect of gravity.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The problem is, there is no such thing as 'truly stationary'. Einstein states that there is no absolute state of rest--no privileged reference frames. Hence, everything in the universe is in motion, relative to something else.

...and everything in the universe is also at rest.

"no privileged reference frames"

I believe we could use lots of things in the universe for reference. Pulsars, background microwave radiation, etc. and as far as stationary, i do mean relative to our motion. we do know how fast our solar system is traveling as well as our galaxy.

DARKSYDE said:
I believe we could use lots of things in the universe for reference. Pulsars, background microwave radiation, etc.
Absolutely - you can use anything you want. I prefer to always define myself as stationary. It's usually easier that way. And it makes me feel special!
and as far as stationary, i do mean relative to our motion. we do know how fast our solar system is traveling as well as our galaxy.
We know how fast our solar system is traveling with respect to some objects and vice versa: we know how fast they are traveling relative to us. Either can be considered moving or stationary and neither is an absolute or "priveleged" selection. All - ALL motion is relative.

So to answer your intial question, you can just go to a bowling alley and have a look at what the bowling balls on the racks are doing! Not much of anything, I suspect...

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between a prediction and a hypothesis?

A prediction is a statement about what is likely to happen in the future based on observations and data. It is testable and can be proven to be true or false. A hypothesis, on the other hand, is an educated guess or explanation for a phenomenon that has not yet been proven. It is used as a starting point for further investigation and can be supported or rejected by evidence.

2. How do you make accurate predictions in your field of study?

In order to make accurate predictions, scientists use the scientific method which involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing data. They also rely on past research and knowledge in their field to inform their predictions. Additionally, they may use mathematical models and simulations to help make more accurate predictions.

3. How do you account for uncertainty in your predictions?

Uncertainty is a natural part of making predictions in science. Scientists account for uncertainty by acknowledging and considering all possible outcomes, using statistical analysis to quantify the likelihood of each outcome, and being transparent about the limitations of their predictions. They may also conduct further research to reduce uncertainty and improve the accuracy of their predictions.

4. Can predictions ever be proven wrong?

Yes, predictions can be proven wrong. In science, predictions are always subject to testing and can be either supported or rejected by evidence. If a prediction is proven wrong, it means that the hypothesis or assumptions on which it was based were incorrect or incomplete. This can lead to further research and refinement of the prediction to improve its accuracy.

5. How do you use predictions in real-world applications?

Predictions are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as weather forecasting, market trends, and medical diagnoses. In these cases, predictions help make informed decisions and prepare for future events. Scientists also use predictions to inform public policy and decision-making, such as predicting the impact of climate change on ecosystems. However, it is important to note that predictions are not always 100% accurate and should be used in conjunction with other information and data.