Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are your predictions

1. Oct 30, 2009 #1
    what would happen to a bowling ball if it were to remain truely stationary in a region of space in an expanding universe? assume the experiment will compensate any effect of gravity.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2009 #2
    The problem is, there is no such thing as 'truly stationary'. Einstein states that there is no absolute state of rest--no privileged reference frames. Hence, everything in the universe is in motion, relative to something else.

4. Oct 31, 2009 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

...and everything in the universe is also at rest.

5. Oct 31, 2009 #4
    "no privileged reference frames"

I believe we could use lots of things in the universe for reference. Pulsars, background microwave radiation, etc. and as far as stationary, i do mean relative to our motion. we do know how fast our solar system is traveling as well as our galaxy.

6. Oct 31, 2009 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Absolutely - you can use anything you want. I prefer to always define myself as stationary. It's usually easier that way. And it makes me feel special!
    We know how fast our solar system is traveling with respect to some objects and vice versa: we know how fast they are traveling relative to us. Either can be considered moving or stationary and neither is an absolute or "priveleged" selection. All - ALL motion is relative.

So to answer your intial question, you can just go to a bowling alley and have a look at what the bowling balls on the racks are doing! Not much of anything, I suspect...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook