What Aspect of GR Forbids Superluminal Motion?

In summary, this paper discusses the problem of defining the velocity between distant objects. There is disagreement about how to do this, and if this is done incorrectly then it can result in superluminal velocities.
andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am trying to understand the expansion of the universe and the implications of distant galaxies receding from us at superluminal speeds.

To properly understand how this is not forbidden by GR, I wanted to focus on exactly what it was about GR, what 'rule', that said an object can't travel superluminally, and then compare that to the distant galaxy scenario to see why that doesn't contradict the rule.

I am trying to think about things in a coordinate independent way and it seems that an object traveling superluminally, say at 1.1c relative to the CMBR frame, would have a spacelike worldline. If we assume the object's acceleration through and beyond c was in the past then the 'current' piece of the worldline is a spacelike geodesic.

I assume such a thing cannot happen, in which case presumably GR says that no particle can travel along a spacelike geodesic. But what aspect of GR is it that mandates this? Is it something to do with mass and energy and/or being unable to accelerate (say via electromagnetic forces such as in a particle accelerator) from a timelike velocity vector to a spacelike one? If so, which aspect of the equations is it that prevents this?

I then moved on to thinking about the recession speed of distant galaxies and realized that the 'relative velocity' of the two galaxies (ours and the distant one) doesn't appear to be a clearly defined term. The two four-velocities are vectors in distinct tangent spaces so we cannot subtract them to obtain a relative velocity, unless spacetime is flat (in which case we can identify all the tangent spaces with one another, which seems to be what SR implicitly does). If that's right then there doesn't even seem to be a precise way to express a prohibition on superluminal relative velocities. Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The principle of equivalence forbids local superluminal velocities, since it says that locally, special relativity holds.

The velocity between distant objects is in general not uniquely defined, and some definitions do result in superluminal velocities. It's discussed in section 2.8.1 of

http://arxiv.org/abs/0707.0380
"Expanding Space: the Root of all Evil?"
Matthew J. Francis, Luke A. Barnes, J. Berian James, Geraint F. Lewis

That looks like a good paper atyy. Thank you. I have downloaded it and started to read.
It makes me feel a bit better about my confusion regarding the meaning and implications of expanding space, that there is even disagreement amongst physicists about some aspects of that topic, as evidenced by this paper and the 2003 Davis & Lineweaver one.

1. What is GR?

GR stands for General Relativity, which is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes how massive objects interact with each other and how they influence the curvature of spacetime.

2. What is superluminal motion?

Superluminal motion refers to any movement that is faster than the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed that any object can travel in the universe.

3. How does GR forbid superluminal motion?

In GR, the speed of light is considered to be the ultimate speed limit of the universe. As such, any motion that exceeds this speed is not allowed within the framework of the theory. This is because superluminal motion would violate the fundamental principles of causality and the constancy of the speed of light.

4. Are there any exceptions to the prohibition of superluminal motion in GR?

While GR firmly prohibits superluminal motion, there have been some hypothetical scenarios proposed where it could occur. For example, some theories suggest that certain particles, such as tachyons, may be able to travel faster than the speed of light. However, these theories are still highly speculative and have not been confirmed by experimental evidence.

5. Why is the prohibition of superluminal motion important in GR?

The prohibition of superluminal motion is a crucial aspect of GR as it helps to maintain the consistency and validity of the theory. If superluminal motion were allowed, it would lead to paradoxes and contradictions that would undermine the fundamental principles of relativity. Additionally, the prohibition of superluminal motion has been supported by numerous experiments and observations, further reinforcing its importance in the theory.