What Attracts You in a Potential Mate?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, Zero is saying that physical attractiveness is not the only thing that attracts people to one another. He also says that intelligence, open-mindedness, and passion are also important qualities. He also says that after the initial attraction has worn off, he looks for qualities such as intelligence, open-mindedness, and passion in a potential mate.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
They say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I am curious as to what attracts you to another person (I would say of the opposite sex, but that doesn't apply to everyone so...)

Let's break it down farther. What "initially" attracts you to someone?
Does this initial attraction tend to wear off quickly? If so, what qualities do you find are more attractive in the long run?

What is most important to you in a potential mate? If it is a combination, rank them in order of importance to you.

1) physical beauty

2) intelligence

3) personality

4) other - please specify

Do you find that your initial attractions generally do not work out? If so, why do you think that is?

Please feel free to add to, or modify this.

Physics news on Phys.org
How initially is initially? Physical beauty is, of course, the dominating factor if I have no exposure to a girl's personality/intelligence/sense of humor/whatever.

However, physical beauty fades quickly in importance after the first few moments of interaction I have with a person. I've been friends with girls that others have told me were very hot, but I never even noticed!

To be honest, I'm not sure what really attracts me; I'm very picky, and it's rare for me to encounter a girl to whom I have any sort of real attraction.

Hurkyl, good point, I guess realistically, it's going to be a "physical" initial attraction, in "real" life. I can't honestly say I ever saw a guy across a room and said to myself "wow, he has a great sense of humor".

So let's say "initially" starts 10 minutes after you've started talking to the person. I've met many men that at first glance I considered "attractive" but as soon as they opened their mouths, I couldn't wait to get away from them.

On the other hand, I found myself becoming very attracted to men that at first glance I was not interested in, but were fascinating to talk to.

I think you kids need less computer time and more outside the house time...seriously.

Well, let's see...
Evo has an avg. of 2.02 posts per day.
Hurkyl has 5.24.
I, myself, am running a little over one post per day on average.
And Zero has... ...9.58!

Zero. You crack me up.

I guess I do need to play outside more...

Beyond the obvious (physical attraction), I look for three things:

1) intelligence

2) open-mindedness

3) passion (about anything)

- Warren

Originally posted by Tsunami
Well, let's see...
Evo has an avg. of 2.02 posts per day.
Hurkyl has 5.24.
I, myself, am running a little over one post per day on average.
And Zero has... ...9.58!

Zero. You crack me up.
No, really...I sleep three hours a night...for the rest of you, get some sleep, get out and date someone already!

Three hours a night? No wonder you appear to have superhuman abilities.

BTW, I am too old to date (at my age I believe it's called charity). I am asking the questions for a friend of mine.

Last edited:
There's no such thing as too old...

Mostly, I care about a woman's brain...an old mentor-type guy told me to look for a woman you want to talk to, after the physical stuff is over.

Nah, too old. I guess you didn't see where I compared you to someone I once went out with that was a leader of the SDS (students for a democratic society), he was VP back in '65 after Tom Hayden took a less direct role. (I meant that as a compliment to your ascerbic wit & political savvy.) Of course he was MUCH older than me, but it still dates me.

*edit* I met him in the 70's, and I was a child..., Ok, sheesh, I'm not THAT old...

Last edited:
Physical beauty, nah, rather there are certain element that make a person attractive, which doesn't really have anything to do with physical beauty. Dark hair, happy eyes, small chin, holes in cheeks.

Important I find the way a person carries himself. Style of clothes, hairdo, taken care of image. Men in suit are *hot*

Then ofcourse comes the inside: respect, interests, goals, philosophy. I don't really care what a person looks like once the personality comes through, well, actually looking taken care of is always important..

Like Hurkyl, I'm very picky :)

Originally posted by Monique
(SNIP) Physical beauty, nah, rather there are certain element that make a person attractive, which doesn't really have anything to do with physical beauty. Dark hair, happy eyes, small chin, holes in cheeks. (SNoP)
HUH?? according to this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=13164"...

Hummm...( )

Last edited by a moderator:
Ain't he got dark hair and a small chin? I also commented that I like the character because of the dry sense of humor.. a total package! AND he is smart AND he wairs suits.

Ain't he got dark hair and a small chin? I also commented that I like the character because of the dry sense of humor.. a total package! AND he is smart AND he wairs suits.
Is that his "Actor Character" or his "real character"?

(P.S. Yes I know, just sort of having fun )

I solely like him because of Fox Mulder I've always had a crush on him from the first episode that I watched at some guestfamily's house in London :) I guess he (fox) has become my role model of what men should be like

(SNIP) I guess he (fox) has become my role model of what men should be like (SNoP)
You don't mean married, do you? cause he is...

We are talking about mulder and not duchovny here :)

We are talking about mulder and not duchovny here :)
O.K. and ='s I don't know!

fox mulder (character) vs david duchnovny (actor)

Knew that..."I Don't know" means (='s) "no more conversation" as the topic has "left the building"...

I get this distinct feeling we are talking past each other ='s [?] well, all fine with me

Oh, wait:

='s

is that a smily??

Oh, wait: ='s is that a smily??
No it is typiconograhic for "equals"

:frown: see? MEN! .. who understands them ..

:frown: see? MEN! .. who understands them ..
Hummm anyone who can read...Ooops did I say that out loud?

I didn't understand it either, and I have a penis.

- Warren

I must admit I have a hard time following MOST of Mr. Parson's posts. Our synapse circuits are just not in sync. (MRP - I love ya, man, but you loose even me with all your jumping around from thought to thought - and I thought I was the bad one about that... )

Originally posted by chroot
I didn't understand it either, and I have a penis. ( )

- Warren
Well, that explains everything!

I must admit I have a hard time following MOST of Mr. Parson's posts. Our synapse circuits are just not in sync. (MRP - I love ya, man, but you loose even me with all your jumping around from thought to thought - and I thought I was the bad one about that... )
Why Thank you, nicest thing I've heard 'Bout myself in quite a while, guess that Enigma thingy is still working for me!

WhoooHoooo?

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
Well, that explains everything!
ROTFLMAO!

Why Thank you, nicest thing I've heard 'Bout myself in quite a while, guess that Enigma thingy is still working for me!

WhoooHoooo?
(i just KNOW I'm going to be sorry for this...)

ALRIGHT! I'LL BITE! WHAT "Enigma thingy". (I just love the word 'thingy' ).

(i just KNOW I'm going to be sorry for this...)
ALRIGHT! I'LL BITE! WHAT "Enigma thingy". (I just love the word 'thingy' ).
It was, briefly, my 'title' "Well know Enigma" as having been replaced with the "One Man Thunk Tank" Thingy :smile: :wink: who?

It was, briefly, my 'title' "Well know Enigma" as having been replaced with the "One Man Thunk Tank" Thingy :smile: :wink: who?
uh...OK!

Sassy and fiesty women turn me on anytime, anyday.