What Attracts You in a Potential Mate?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, Zero is saying that physical attractiveness is not the only thing that attracts people to one another. He also says that intelligence, open-mindedness, and passion are also important qualities. He also says that after the initial attraction has worn off, he looks for qualities such as intelligence, open-mindedness, and passion in a potential mate.
Thinking about it, I'm not sure how much intelligence matters either; true, every girl I've fallen for has been fairly bright, but personality (including sense of humor) has always been the primary reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what i look for in a girl, but a good personality would probably be number one. Obviously looks are the first thing I notice but once i have talked to a girl for abit her looks arent so important.

Dont know how to describe it but the feeling i get when i am alone with my girlfriend is just fantastic.

Originally posted by Andy
(SNIP) Dont know how to describe *Snicker*Snicker* try using "words" Andy it but the feeling i get when i am alone with my girlfriend is just fantastic. (SNoP)
Why only when you are alone?

I was thinking of how to describe it in words, but couldnt.

And because being alone with her just makes me feel so damn good, you must know what i mean.

(SNIP) And because being alone with her just makes me feel so damn good, you must know what i mean. (SNoP)
Actually, that comment, just split the meaning(s)

and why's that?

and why's that?
"Being alone with..." In the park? in bed? on the couch, watching TV? "Feel so good" physically? Sexually? Emotionally? Three way splits...

Thanks for clarifying what you meant, and doesn't matter where i am with her, could be laid in bed chatting or sat down on the couch watching a film, and it makes me feel good emotionally.

Thanks for clarifying what you meant, and doesn't matter where i am with her, could be laid in bed chatting or sat down on the couch watching a film, and it makes me feel good emotionally.
"Thanks for clarifying what you meant"...

Your welcome, Clarity is not my strong point.

I have to agree with Andy. My being with my ex-girlfriend (when she still was my girlfriend) was the best feeling in the world, and i can't describe why. I only know that i miss whatever it is that made me feel damn good...maybe it was having a heart... [b(]

awh, little tin-man :frown: everyone seems to be in the same ship though..

...tin man...lol...cute.

so dorothy, where are your red shoes? and Toto? What is the name of this ship? "The boat of despair?" lol ...now I am just getting stupid.

Well, one explanation from a program I saw on the discovery channel several years ago explained it scientifically. Supposedly, the "feeling" is the chemical soup that your brain is flooded with when you are "in love", "first attraction" to a person, etc... The effects last about 6 months at which time, if there is a deeper attraction will be replaced with other chemicals, the same ones that create the "mother/child bond". Oxytocin?

Well, I couldn't find the reference to the program I saw, but found this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopics/love/index.shtml

*edit* to add link

Last edited:
Chemicals yea, that sounds good enough.

Chemicals yea, that sounds good enough.
So then, when you are alone with your girlfriend you feel "good chemicals" right? (or is that Chemistry hee hee!)