What avenue of physics can a scientist in the Star Wars galaxy study?

In summary, a physicist in the Star Wars galaxy could study the Force, microbiomes, and military strategy.
Maximum7
What I’m looking for is some new avenue of physics for a scientist in the Star Wars galaxy to be studying. They probably know what dark matter and dark energy are since Starkiller Base is powered by it. I’m sure they know about how the universe began, why it’s expanding and what it’s fate is. I’m also sure they figured out why their is more matter than antimatter in the universe. They have plenty of tools to do this.

What is left for a physicist to wonder about. What can he study?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maximum7 said:
I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that all of the physicists in the Star Wars universe are female...

• Haha
Likes Astronuc
Maximum7 said:
The Force, of course. I haven't seen any technology in Star Wars that either enhances or decreases/defends against the Force. It is (sadly, in my opinion) known that Force users have a large number of microscopic creatures inside of them, creatures with a name that should not be named :smile:.
Midichlorians.

Now, Star Wars is of course fiction and in my opinion science fantasy mixed with science fiction, but if we for the sake of argument assume the physics of Star Wars resemble the physics of the real world, then it could be argued that the Force ought to be a physical phenomenon since the use of it has an effect on the physical world. And I would put Star Wars biologists to work by thoroughly researching the microscopic creatures that should not be named. :smile:

What avenue of physics can a scientist in the Star Wars galaxy study? Meta-physics!

DennisN said:
The Force, of course. I haven't seen any technology in Star Wars that either enhances or decreases/defends against the Force. It is (sadly, in my opinion) known that Force users have a large number of microscopic creatures inside of them, creatures with a name that should not be named :smile:.
Midichlorians.

Now, Star Wars is of course fiction and in my opinion science fantasy mixed with science fiction, but if we for the sake of argument assume the physics of Star Wars resemble the physics of the real world, then it could be argued that the Force ought to be a physical phenomenon since the use of it has an effect on the physical world. And I would put Star Wars biologists to work by thoroughly researching the microscopic creatures that should not be named. :smile:

Perhaps researching the interaction with the microbiome would be fruitful - perhaps the ‘dark side’ is just a difference of gut flora

• Haha
Likes DennisN
Star Wars has FTL travel for over a thousand years. They’ve probably thought of just about everything but surely their has to be something next for them to study?

Typically every discovery gives you something new to question. an apple falls - why? it accelerates as it falls - why? the acceleration decreases as it approaches terminal velocity - why? the resistive force of air is proportional to V^2 - why? etcetera etcetera. No doubt by achieving faster than light travel, they have opened a whole field of anomalies, failed predictions and questions. the whole field of relativity would need to be rewritten to incorporate the effects of as-fast-as and faster-than light.

Maximum7 said:
Star Wars has FTL travel for over a thousand years. They’ve probably thought of just about everything but surely their has to be something next for them to study?
A universal peace and harmony machine?

PeroK said:
A universal peace and harmony machine?

They tried to build it twice, the rebels kept blowing it up!

• Haha
Likes 256bits, omnipojack, BWV and 2 others
Do they know what comes after death in the Star Wars universe? if not, that might be worthy of study.

And depending on the basis for their FTL, there may be whole other dimensions to explore, including - presumably - different modes of physics.

Tghu Verd said:
Do they know what comes after death in the Star Wars universe?

Yes, cameos

• Haha
Likes Rubidium_71, DennisN and member 656954
Tghu Verd said:
Do they know what comes after death in the Star Wars universe?
If the person has been good, he goes to the Star Wars Holiday Special.
If the person has been bad, he goes to be with Jar Jar.

Likes Rubidium_71
DennisN said:
If the person has been good, he goes to the Star Wars Holiday Special.
If the person has been bad, he goes to be with Jar Jar.

Ah Bender, you always know what's what :biggrin:

Likes DennisN
They could work on more accurate weapons for Stormtroopers.

Also armor that can't be defeated by rock-wielding Ewoks.

• Haha
Likes Richard Crane and DennisN
Maybe they should brush up on military strategy before pursuing more big scientific projects...

Likes dsaun777 and DennisN
Maybe, at FTL travel scientist will discover that "it's a trap"

Likes DennisN

1. What is the main focus of physics in the Star Wars galaxy?

In the Star Wars universe, the main focus of physics is on the study of the Force. This energy field is created by all living things and can be harnessed by certain individuals to perform extraordinary feats.

2. Can scientists in the Star Wars galaxy study traditional physics concepts such as gravity and electromagnetism?

Yes, scientists in the Star Wars galaxy can study traditional physics concepts such as gravity and electromagnetism. These concepts still apply in the Star Wars universe and are crucial in understanding the movement of objects and the functioning of technology.

3. Are there any unique branches of physics that are specific to the Star Wars galaxy?

Yes, there are several unique branches of physics in the Star Wars galaxy, such as lightsaber construction and the study of kyber crystals. These crystals are used to power lightsabers and have unique properties that make them a subject of interest for scientists.

4. How do scientists in the Star Wars galaxy explain the use of faster-than-light travel?

In the Star Wars universe, faster-than-light travel is made possible through the use of hyperdrive technology. This technology allows ships to enter hyperspace, a dimension where the laws of physics are different, and travel at incredible speeds.

5. Can scientists in the Star Wars galaxy study the laws of thermodynamics?

Yes, scientists in the Star Wars galaxy can study the laws of thermodynamics. These laws still apply in the Star Wars universe and are crucial in understanding the transfer of energy and the functioning of machines and technology.