Identifying Bird on Patio - Win GOOBF Card

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bird
In summary: And this after I spent 10 minutes getting my fangs tucked in under my lip to look nice for my portrait... :grumpy:Don't rest too easy! I rescue woodpeckers:BUT I have also rescued a number of hawks, including a female merlin who knocked herself out on my patio-door while killing a sisken, and a broad-winged fledgling that had managed to fall out of its nest. Handling hawks is pretty intense. They are passive when they are disoriented or well-restrained, but they are not so compliant when they become alert or can assert some freedom (wings not restrained, etc.)
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I have 2 birds on my patio. I thought I could look it up in my bird book, but it's not there.

It is about the size of a black eyed junko, perhaps a tiny bit larger, has a dark grey patch/stripe from the top of it's beak (like a mohawk) going down to the back of the head. It has a wide brown eye strip going from the beak to the back of the head, white patches on each side of the throat, with a black throat. the back and wings are a beautiful lattice design of dark brown and light brown, with a light belly.

I know this is a common bird. A GOOBF card for the first person to post a picture of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.google.com/search?q="whi...=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a"?

MJH_073002_00604A_S.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not it. I will have to upload the picture to image shack, hold on.

Never mind Evo. I changed it to a different image. Sorry for the trouble.

dlgoff said:
Never mind Evo. I changed it to a different image. Sorry for the trouble.
Now you tell me. :wink:

Never mind the looks. What does it taste like? :tongue2:

Danger said:
Never mind the looks. What does it taste like? :tongue2:

You are an evil evil man!

Focus said:
You are an evil evil man!

What? Dan's pic didn't give you enough of a warning that he's not the average guy?

I thought Danger was taking the needs of one's cat into consideration. There's nothing enough for a human on tiny birds, but a decent meal for a feline.

Gray mohawk and brown eye-stripe = House Sparrow. Very common.

http://www.squidoo.com/housesparrow What kind of offense is the GOOBF card good for?

Evo said:
I have 2 birds on my patio. I thought I could look it up in my bird book, but it's not there.

It is about the size of a black eyed junko, perhaps a tiny bit larger, has a dark grey patch/stripe from the top of it's beak (like a mohawk) going down to the back of the head. It has a wide brown eye strip going from the beak to the back of the head, white patches on each side of the throat, with a black throat. the back and wings are a beautiful lattice design of dark brown and light brown, with a light belly.

I know this is a common bird. A GOOBF card for the first person to post a picture of it.
I think we can safely conclude that it's notagoshawk.

Had a bird-rescue about 20 minutes ago. My wife went out in the driveway and came back asking me to come right out. There was a chickadee lying on its side in the driveway right beside my Forester (probably smacked a window), not moving. I scooped up the 'dee and held it, and it started blinking its eyes eventually. I cupped the bird in my hands and kept it warm, and eventually it recovered the perching function in its left foot, and started holding its left wing normally. The other 'dees were calling, too, and when the injured bird started swiveling its head to track the calls, I opened my hands, and the 'dee flew to my apple tree to gather its wits and recover. All's well.

Astronuc said:
I think we can safely conclude that it's notagoshawk.

That would be my guess as well.

turbo-1 said:
Had a bird-rescue about 20 minutes ago...
Whew.

turbo-1 said:
http://www.squidoo.com/housesparrow What kind of offense is the GOOBF card good for?
That's it! I knew it was common. Oh, it's a mean bird. :frown:

A GOOBF card will get you out of any banable offense. Unfortunately, they expire without notice. Always good to stock up on them. Talk to Lisab, she somehow got her hands on billions of them.

binzing said:
What? Dan's pic didn't give you enough of a warning that he's not the average guy?

And this after I spent 10 minutes getting my fangs tucked in under my lip to look nice for my portrait... :grumpy:

Redbelly98 said:
Whew.

Don't rest too easy! I rescue woodpeckers:
hairy.jpg

BUT I have also rescued a number of hawks, including a female merlin who knocked herself out on my patio-door while killing a sisken, and a broad-winged fledgling that had managed to fall out of its nest. Handling hawks is pretty intense. They are passive when they are disoriented or well-restrained, but they are not so compliant when they become alert or can assert some freedom (wings not restrained, etc.)

that's so cute!

turbo, you're a good person.

turbo-1 said:
Handling hawks is pretty intense.

Perhaps blinding them with a piece of cloth will help?

Borek said:
Perhaps blinding them with a piece of cloth will help?
Good training technique for falconry, but I fear that a wild hawk would not like that too much as a one-time thing. I talk to them in a calm voice while stroking them, and then when they start to get a bit agitated or willing to bite their rescuer, I take that as a sign that they are ready to be on their own. So far, it has worked out well.

Evo said:
that's so cute!

turbo, you're a good person.
I love birds and I can't stand to see them in danger.

When the merlin hit my patio door, I ran outside in jeans and a T-shirt, and stood in the snow holding her until she came around. I held her against my chest to keep her warm, then let her perch on my hand (ouch!) and lean against my chest until she started to come around. When she started acting a bit nervous, I held my hand up to a low branch so she could perch in a tree, and stayed with her until she felt well enough to fly off. BTW, I grabbed the sisken that she had killed and put it on the branch beside her - she would have nothing to do with it.

turbo-1 said:
II grabbed the sisken that she had killed and put it on the branch beside her - she would have nothing to do with it.
I bet that hawk never attacked a siskin again. :tongue2:

It's probably not possible to condition a hawk against killing any smaller bird. Accipiters are top predators and they probably don't want to eat anything that they have not killed. In this case, a hawk with a concussion probably had no memory of killing that finch, and may have been even more disoriented when she woke up finding a human holding her. Even so, it was nice to find that she would tolerate my close presence after the fact, and didn't act startled when I reached up to put the little bird's body near her feet. She treated me like I was "OK" but rejected the meal.

turbo-1 said:
I love birds and I can't stand to see them in danger.

Is that another swipe at my diet?

Danger said:
Is that another swipe at my diet?
No, I thought you normally ate raw fish {gollum}.

:yuck:

Evo said:
Now you tell me. :wink:
Looks like I could really use that GOOBF now.

turbo-1 said:
Handling hawks is pretty intense.
Ever try raising a Great Horned owl? When I was a kid, I heard this clicking sound in the backyard. It was a baby owl snapping its beak. It had been knocked out of its' nest by a bluejay. Mom feed it milk until it could eat solids. Became a pet and stayed around the area for years. It loved to swoop down at you in the broad daylight. I think it just wanted to land on you. It loved people.

turbo-1 said:
Don't rest too easy! I rescue woodpeckers:
:smile: :smile: :smile:
BUT I have also rescued a number of hawks...
:frown: :frown: :frown:

But seriously turbo, that's great that you have done this.

1. What is the best way to identify a bird on my patio?

The best way to identify a bird on your patio is to observe its physical characteristics, such as size, shape, color, and markings. You can also listen to its call and note its behavior, such as feeding or perching, to help narrow down the species.

2. Are there any useful tools or resources for identifying birds on my patio?

Yes, there are many helpful tools and resources for identifying birds on your patio. You can use a bird identification guidebook, online bird identification databases, or bird identification apps. You can also join online birding communities or consult with local birding experts for assistance.

3. What are some common birds that I might find on my patio?

Some common birds that you might find on your patio include sparrows, finches, cardinals, blue jays, robins, and mourning doves. These birds are common in residential areas and are often attracted to bird feeders or bird baths on patios.

4. How can I attract more birds to my patio?

To attract more birds to your patio, you can provide food, water, and shelter. You can set up bird feeders with a variety of birdseed, suet, or nectar to attract different species. A bird bath or small water feature can also attract birds, especially in dry or hot weather. Planting native flowers and shrubs can also provide food and shelter for birds.

5. Is it safe to feed birds on my patio?

Feeding birds on your patio can be safe as long as you follow some basic guidelines. Make sure to clean your bird feeders regularly to prevent the spread of diseases among birds. Also, avoid feeding birds food that is harmful to them, such as bread or processed foods. Lastly, be mindful of potential predators, such as cats or hawks, and take steps to protect the birds while they are feeding on your patio.