1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What books do you recommend for a beginner (noob) for both physics and mathematics?

1. Dec 30, 2012 #1
    I have gained recent yet passionate interests in both of these complex subjects but I feel that I am a bit behind in terms of my age (17, yes a bit embarrassing). May anyone recommend me some books in both mathematics and physics to use for self study since I really want to learn outsde of school? I plan to go in very deep in these subjects but would like a bit of a foundation. Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2012 #2
    Re: What books do you recommend for a beginner (noob) for both physics and mathematic

You should try Young & Freedman: University Physics in both its volumes. It is a very neat book and it's used in lots of physics introductory courses.

4. Dec 30, 2012 #3
    Re: What books do you recommend for a beginner (noob) for both physics and mathematic

Do you want books that are a serious study? Or fun pop sci books?

If the former, what is your background?

5. Dec 30, 2012 #4

Serious study. I have read a couple of pop science books and feel that it is time to take it to the next level and actually LEARN the subjects (do the calculations etc.). My backround is well, just pop science books, my physics highschool course, and some minute overview of professional research. =(

6. Dec 30, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If you're not comfortable with high school mathematics, then you should get comfortable first. A good book is "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang. It covers everything you ever need to know of the mathematics before calculus.

If you know high school mathematics, then studying calculus is the next step. Good books are of course Spivak and Apostol, but they will be a bit too much for a first encounter. You might want to try "A first course in calculus" by Lang, "Quick Calculus: a self-teaching guide" by Kleppner and Ramsey (be sure to check the errata if you get this book) and "Calculus with analytic geometry" by Simmons.

After that, you should consider working through Spivak or Apostol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook