Exploring Math & Physics: Self-Study Books for a 17yo

In summary, the person is seeking book recommendations for self-study in both mathematics and physics. They are interested in delving deeper into these subjects and building a strong foundation. They have previously read some pop science books and have a background in high school physics. For mathematics, they are recommended to start with "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang and then move on to books such as "A first course in calculus" by Lang, "Quick Calculus: a self-teaching guide" by Kleppner and Ramsey, and "Calculus with analytic geometry" by Simmons. After that, they can consider studying books by Spivak or Apostol.
SrVishi
I have gained recent yet passionate interests in both of these complex subjects but I feel that I am a bit behind in terms of my age (17, yes a bit embarrassing). May anyone recommend me some books in both mathematics and physics to use for self study since I really want to learn outsde of school? I plan to go in very deep in these subjects but would like a bit of a foundation. Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

You should try Young & Freedman: University Physics in both its volumes. It is a very neat book and it's used in lots of physics introductory courses.

Do you want books that are a serious study? Or fun pop sci books?

If the former, what is your background?

Jorriss said:
Do you want books that are a serious study? Or fun pop sci books?

If the former, what is your background?

Serious study. I have read a couple of pop science books and feel that it is time to take it to the next level and actually LEARN the subjects (do the calculations etc.). My backround is well, just pop science books, my physics high school course, and some minute overview of professional research. =(

If you're not comfortable with high school mathematics, then you should get comfortable first. A good book is "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang. It covers everything you ever need to know of the mathematics before calculus.

If you know high school mathematics, then studying calculus is the next step. Good books are of course Spivak and Apostol, but they will be a bit too much for a first encounter. You might want to try "A first course in calculus" by Lang, "Quick Calculus: a self-teaching guide" by Kleppner and Ramsey (be sure to check the errata if you get this book) and "Calculus with analytic geometry" by Simmons.

After that, you should consider working through Spivak or Apostol.

1. What are the benefits of self-studying math and physics at 17 years old?

Self-studying math and physics at 17 years old can provide numerous benefits, such as developing critical thinking skills, improving problem-solving abilities, and fostering a deeper understanding of the subject matter. It also allows for a more personalized and flexible learning experience.

2. Are there any recommended self-study books for a 17-year-old interested in math and physics?

Yes, there are many great self-study books available for 17-year-olds interested in math and physics. Some popular options include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, and "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin.

3. Can self-studying math and physics at 17 years old prepare me for college-level courses?

Yes, self-studying math and physics at 17 years old can definitely prepare you for college-level courses. It will give you a strong foundation and understanding of the subjects, making it easier for you to excel in college-level classes.

4. How much time should I dedicate to self-studying math and physics per week?

The amount of time you should dedicate to self-studying math and physics per week may vary depending on your personal goals and learning pace. However, it is recommended to spend at least 5-6 hours per week consistently to see significant progress.

5. Is it possible to self-study math and physics without any prior knowledge or background in the subjects?

Yes, it is possible to self-study math and physics without any prior knowledge or background in the subjects. However, it may require more dedication and effort as you will need to start from the basics. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from online resources or tutors to ensure a solid understanding of the material.