What branch of engineering to major in for biomedical?

In summary, if you are interested in biomedical engineering, you should consider majoring in materials science and engineering with an emphasis on polymers.
Emily R.
So, right now I'm a junior in high school and looking to go to college for engineering. I still haven't decided on a specific branch of engineering, but one that I'm interested in is biomedical engineering. The colleges that I've been looking at don't have a major in biomedical, but some have a minor in it. If I were to choose biomedical engineering, what branch of engineering would be best to major in if I minored in biomedical?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depend on what you want to do in biomedical engineering. If you are interested in biomechanics, major in mechanical engineering.

Likes Emily R.
Emily R. said:
So, right now I'm a junior in high school and looking to go to college for engineering. I still haven't decided on a specific branch of engineering, but one that I'm interested in is biomedical engineering. The colleges that I've been looking at don't have a major in biomedical, but some have a minor in it. If I were to choose biomedical engineering, what branch of engineering would be best to major in if I minored in biomedical?
Your best bets would be mechanical or electrical, depending on where your inclinations take you. I did biomedical, but with a heavy component of electrical, particularly signal and image processing.

Likes Emily R.
Why are you looking at colleges that don't have a major in what you want to study?

Likes Vanadium 50
I'm with Choppy here. If you want to do biomedical, doesn't it make sense to go somewhere that offers it?

If a school with biomedical isn't an option for you, maybe you should consider materials science and engineering with an emphasis on polymers. I believe a handful of the MSE faculty at my school have biomedical work and research experience. Plus, MSE is really fun and interesting, and I've often considered changing to an MSE major myself.

Depends on what part of biomedical engineering you are interested in. If you are interested in bioelectronics, electrical engineering would be a wise choice. For biomechanics, mechanical engineering would give you the most appropriate background. If you are interested in biomaterials and tissue engineering materials science and engineering would be the most suitable major.

1. What is biomedical engineering?

Biomedical engineering is a field that combines principles of engineering, biology, and medicine to develop solutions and technologies for healthcare and medical treatments.

2. What are the different branches of engineering that are related to biomedical?

The main branches of engineering that are related to biomedical include mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, materials engineering, and computer engineering.

3. Which branch of engineering is the best for a career in biomedical?

There is no one "best" branch of engineering for a career in biomedical as each branch offers unique skills and knowledge that can be applied to this field. It ultimately depends on your personal interests and strengths.

4. What skills do I need for a major in biomedical engineering?

Some important skills for a major in biomedical engineering include a strong foundation in math and science, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and communication skills.

5. What can I do with a degree in biomedical engineering?

A degree in biomedical engineering can lead to various career opportunities in the healthcare industry, such as designing medical devices, developing new treatments and therapies, conducting research, or working in quality control and regulatory compliance.