Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What bug is this?

1. Jul 7, 2006 #1

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(I hope my ASCII drawing is passable)

What bug is this? I just saw one in my bathroom. I tried squashing it, but it wound up being pretty resiliant (though, admittedly, all I had handy to squash it with was a dirty towel)

It wasn't moving around at all, except for its two antannae out front. It was a blackish color (maybe a little brown), maybe about 2 centimeters long and thin. The most distinctive feature was its tail end, which I think turns out well in my drawing.

Code (Text):

--\          /--
        \        /
         \      /
          \    /
      --  ******  --
        --******--
      ----******----
        --******--
      --  ******  --

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2006 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Jul 7, 2006 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The earwig has relatively large, folded wings normally protected and invisible. (I don't think anyone has ever seen the earwig fly, actually)

The most probable use for its pincer would be to help folding together its wings.

5. Jul 7, 2006 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, ok. I had found a picture of an earwig (wikipedia's page), but it was the wrong color and the tail was wrongly shaped... but those pictures look more like what I saw.

6. Jul 8, 2006 #5

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The etymology of its name is intriguing..

Earwig is derived from Old English éare, "ear", and wicga, "insect", "from the idea that it penetrates into the head through the ear. (presumably using its formidable pincers) and laying its eggs in the brain.

reference01
    reference02

This is from an old European belief but the notion still persists throughout the world today.

I found a number of them recently around moist areas outside my camping tent. As a child, I recall finding them under logs and stones (again moist environments..

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  7. Jul 8, 2006 #6
    It's earwig shaped, but I've ne'er seen one 2cm long... although thinking about it, I guess they grow to close that.
    And they really are resilient, not just against towels but boots and car tyres. If you use a grinding motion instead of a pressing motion, though, you can kill 'em.

8. Jul 8, 2006 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Just snap'em in two with a pair of scissors. That'll do.

9. Jul 8, 2006 #8
    Yes, I always carry around a pair of scissors in my back pocket. :rolleyes:

10. Jul 8, 2006 #9

dav2008

Gold Member

You should be careful not to sit on them

11. Jul 8, 2006 #10
    i saw something that looked like this yesterday, but it wasn't an earwig - its length was about 2cm, silverish gray color, no wings, and it's thinner then the earwig... the scissors at the end have the same width as the body...
    i thought it was a silverfish, but the tail of the silverfish doesn;t have the right shape...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?