What came First?

1,233
1

Main Question or Discussion Point

What came first? The Hen or the Egg? What do you think and why?

Thanks :smile:
 

Answers and Replies

16
0
The egg's only a potential hen. There must an actual hen before there's a potential hen. :smile:
 
1,233
1
Then what came before the hen?
 
16
0
courtrigrad said:
Then what came before the hen?
The hen has always been.
:biggrin:
 
16
0
Of course you could say that the hen is a potential egg hehe
 
16
0
...which strengthens my belief that I'm really just a damaged brain in a jar in some lab being stimulated by interested scientists.
 
167
0
Chicken - you can create a chicken hrough evolution but the egg can only come from a chicken and so the chicken must come first.

Just logic guys!

-NewScientist
 
16
0
NewScientist said:
Chicken - you can create a chicken hrough evolution but the egg can only come from a chicken and so the chicken must come first.

Just logic guys!

-NewScientist
The chicken in question didn't just form out of a pile of goo even if is was through evolution. Our final chicken still had to have been hatched at some point.
 
167
0
luxv66 said:
The chicken in question didn't just form out of a pile of goo even if is was through evolution. Our final chicken still had to have been hatched at some point.
Well done, that is evolution, we don't jst form out of primordial soup.

What happens is - organisms evolve (adapt due to surroundings) and develop, over time the chicken will be evolved into. this will because the chicken has adapted from another organism through a mutation that has turned out to be beneficial to its chances of survival.

The chicken was therefore the offspring of a non chicken - this is where it came from.

Now this organism (the non-chicken) can follow its evolution back to an organsim before his and so on and so on
 
16
0
In that case it's pretty obvious that the egg came first. Well, if you take "egg" to really mean the vehicle for birth* and not an actual egg.

This is realy just another question of cosmology the further you take it back.

*for lack of a better term
 
Last edited:
167
0
the term egg was never defined, and actually you follow the tree back and end up at the ultimate beginning - whatever your view on that is.
 
16
0
Well to avoid turning this into a relgious thread we can agree that an ACTUAL chicken came before an ACTUAL egg. ;)
 
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
6,764
5
luxv66 said:
Well to avoid turning this into a relgious thread we can agree that an ACTUAL chicken came before an ACTUAL egg. ;)
Dinosaurs didn't lay actual eggs?
 
167
0
luxv66 said:
Well to avoid turning this into a relgious thread we can agree that an ACTUAL chicken came before an ACTUAL egg. ;)
i don't agree an actual Chicken became before a chicken egg as explained above
 
16
0
selfAdjoint said:
Dinosaurs didn't lay actual eggs?
I meant actual chicken eggs.
 
16
0
NewScientist said:
i don't agree an actual Chicken became before a chicken egg as explained above
"Chicken - you can create a chicken hrough evolution but the egg can only come from a chicken and so the chicken must come first."


:confused:
 
16
0
Now that I think about it, the orignal chicken that is the current product of evolution was obviously hatched from an egg. If we're talking about your standard chicken egg (sorry, I'm no chicken expert) that we see today, then the egg it hatched from was the first chciken egg and not the first egg it lays.

I was going to have eggs for breakfast but now I think I'll just have a waffle......
 
167
0
lets have some good english please!!

Clarify!
 
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,701
7
If the question is "what came first, the chicken or the chicken egg" then the chicken came first: The first ever chicken much have been hatched from an egg which was not that of a chicken. A chicken egg must originate from a chicken, so the product of whatever predecessed the chicken must have been some other kind of egg.


So there's a chicken and an egg lying in bed. The chicken is looking pissed off, and the egg has a big grin on his face, and is smoking a cigarette. The egg says "so now we know the answer to that question!"
 
brewnog said:
If the question is "what came first, the chicken or the chicken egg" then the chicken came first: The first ever chicken much have been hatched from an egg which was not that of a chicken. A chicken egg must originate from a chicken, so the product of whatever predecessed the chicken must have been some other kind of egg.


So there's a chicken and an egg lying in bed. The chicken is looking pissed off, and the egg has a big grin on his face, and is smoking a cigarette. The egg says "so now we know the answer to that question!"
I have to agree with Brewnog. There were eggs before there were chickens. If you specify that you mean a chicken egg then the egg must have been laid by a chicken to be a chicken egg.

And Brewnog you have a dirty mind. :cool:
 
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
1,894
3
What we call a chicken egg came about from a DNA mutation. Therefore the story goes like this:

1) A bird (NOT a chicken) developed an egg which had a DNA mutation.
2) This mutated egg is what we call a chicken egg.
3) Once this chicken egg developed it was laid
4) A chicken hatches from this egg.

The Egg came first.
 
Last edited:
391
2
I think something had to sit on the egg to hatch it, the hen had to come first.
 
239
1
There's a chicken (or hen) and an egg in bed. The egg rolls off the chicken (or hen), lights a cigarette, and says "well, I guess we solved that riddle".

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I posted it in the jokes section but I couldn't resist posting it here as well.
 
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2,285
123
"Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" Sounds like, the chicken did.

"Why?" Because the question didn't say "the egg or the chicken."
 
i think egg was first. :confused:
because of the evolution process the first hen was born by something other than hen :redface: ; like, first man was made by a monkey (the most developed monkey :redface: ).
so the the mother of the first hen was not a hen :redface: but gave birth to an egg of a hen (mutation). :redface:
what do u think? :confused:
 

Related Threads for: What came First?

  • Last Post
Replies
12
Views
5K
Replies
57
Views
9K
Replies
2
Views
2K
Replies
3
Views
1K
Replies
2
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
8
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
20
Views
1K
Replies
1
Views
452
Top