Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What came First?

1. Aug 23, 2005 #1
    What came first? The Hen or the Egg? What do you think and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2005 #2
    The egg's only a potential hen. There must an actual hen before there's a potential hen. :smile:

4. Aug 23, 2005 #3
    Then what came before the hen?

5. Aug 23, 2005 #4
    The hen has always been.
    :biggrin:

6. Aug 23, 2005 #5
    Of course you could say that the hen is a potential egg hehe

7. Aug 23, 2005 #6
    ...which strengthens my belief that I'm really just a damaged brain in a jar in some lab being stimulated by interested scientists.

8. Aug 23, 2005 #7
    Chicken - you can create a chicken hrough evolution but the egg can only come from a chicken and so the chicken must come first.

Just logic guys!

-NewScientist

9. Aug 23, 2005 #8
    The chicken in question didn't just form out of a pile of goo even if is was through evolution. Our final chicken still had to have been hatched at some point.

10. Aug 23, 2005 #9
    Well done, that is evolution, we don't jst form out of primordial soup.

What happens is - organisms evolve (adapt due to surroundings) and develop, over time the chicken will be evolved into. this will because the chicken has adapted from another organism through a mutation that has turned out to be beneficial to its chances of survival.

The chicken was therefore the offspring of a non chicken - this is where it came from.

Now this organism (the non-chicken) can follow its evolution back to an organsim before his and so on and so on

11. Aug 23, 2005 #10
    In that case it's pretty obvious that the egg came first. Well, if you take "egg" to really mean the vehicle for birth* and not an actual egg.

This is realy just another question of cosmology the further you take it back.

*for lack of a better term

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  12. Aug 23, 2005 #11
    the term egg was never defined, and actually you follow the tree back and end up at the ultimate beginning - whatever your view on that is.

13. Aug 23, 2005 #12
    Well to avoid turning this into a relgious thread we can agree that an ACTUAL chicken came before an ACTUAL egg. ;)

14. Aug 23, 2005 #13

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Dinosaurs didn't lay actual eggs?

15. Aug 23, 2005 #14
    i don't agree an actual Chicken became before a chicken egg as explained above

16. Aug 23, 2005 #15
    I meant actual chicken eggs.

17. Aug 23, 2005 #16
    "Chicken - you can create a chicken hrough evolution but the egg can only come from a chicken and so the chicken must come first."

:confused:

18. Aug 23, 2005 #17
    Now that I think about it, the orignal chicken that is the current product of evolution was obviously hatched from an egg. If we're talking about your standard chicken egg (sorry, I'm no chicken expert) that we see today, then the egg it hatched from was the first chciken egg and not the first egg it lays.

I was going to have eggs for breakfast but now I think I'll just have a waffle......

19. Aug 23, 2005 #18
    lets have some good english please!!

Clarify!

20. Aug 23, 2005 #19

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the question is "what came first, the chicken or the chicken egg" then the chicken came first: The first ever chicken much have been hatched from an egg which was not that of a chicken. A chicken egg must originate from a chicken, so the product of whatever predecessed the chicken must have been some other kind of egg.

So there's a chicken and an egg lying in bed. The chicken is looking pissed off, and the egg has a big grin on his face, and is smoking a cigarette. The egg says "so now we know the answer to that question!"

21. Aug 23, 2005 #20
    I have to agree with Brewnog. There were eggs before there were chickens. If you specify that you mean a chicken egg then the egg must have been laid by a chicken to be a chicken egg.

And Brewnog you have a dirty mind. :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?