So the question would be: Was it really the Egg that came first?

• Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
In summary: If you specify that you mean an actual chicken egg, then chickens evolved from other creatures and the egg came first.
courtrigrad
What came first? The Hen or the Egg? What do you think and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
The egg's only a potential hen. There must an actual hen before there's a potential hen. :smile:

Then what came before the hen?

courtrigrad said:
Then what came before the hen?

The hen has always been.
:biggrin:

Of course you could say that the hen is a potential egg hehe

...which strengthens my belief that I'm really just a damaged brain in a jar in some lab being stimulated by interested scientists.

Chicken - you can create a chicken hrough evolution but the egg can only come from a chicken and so the chicken must come first.

Just logic guys!

-NewScientist

NewScientist said:
Chicken - you can create a chicken hrough evolution but the egg can only come from a chicken and so the chicken must come first.

Just logic guys!

-NewScientist

The chicken in question didn't just form out of a pile of goo even if is was through evolution. Our final chicken still had to have been hatched at some point.

luxv66 said:
The chicken in question didn't just form out of a pile of goo even if is was through evolution. Our final chicken still had to have been hatched at some point.

Well done, that is evolution, we don't jst form out of primordial soup.

What happens is - organisms evolve (adapt due to surroundings) and develop, over time the chicken will be evolved into. this will because the chicken has adapted from another organism through a mutation that has turned out to be beneficial to its chances of survival.

The chicken was therefore the offspring of a non chicken - this is where it came from.

Now this organism (the non-chicken) can follow its evolution back to an organsim before his and so on and so on

In that case it's pretty obvious that the egg came first. Well, if you take "egg" to really mean the vehicle for birth* and not an actual egg.

This is really just another question of cosmology the further you take it back.

*for lack of a better term

Last edited:
the term egg was never defined, and actually you follow the tree back and end up at the ultimate beginning - whatever your view on that is.

Well to avoid turning this into a relgious thread we can agree that an ACTUAL chicken came before an ACTUAL egg. ;)

luxv66 said:
Well to avoid turning this into a relgious thread we can agree that an ACTUAL chicken came before an ACTUAL egg. ;)

Dinosaurs didn't lay actual eggs?

luxv66 said:

i don't agree an actual Chicken became before a chicken egg as explained above

selfAdjoint said:
Dinosaurs didn't lay actual eggs?

I meant actual chicken eggs.

NewScientist said:
i don't agree an actual Chicken became before a chicken egg as explained above

"Chicken - you can create a chicken hrough evolution but the egg can only come from a chicken and so the chicken must come first."

:confused:

Now that I think about it, the orignal chicken that is the current product of evolution was obviously hatched from an egg. If we're talking about your standard chicken egg (sorry, I'm no chicken expert) that we see today, then the egg it hatched from was the first chciken egg and not the first egg it lays.

I was going to have eggs for breakfast but now I think I'll just have a waffle...

lets have some good english please!

Clarify!

If the question is "what came first, the chicken or the chicken egg" then the chicken came first: The first ever chicken much have been hatched from an egg which was not that of a chicken. A chicken egg must originate from a chicken, so the product of whatever predecessed the chicken must have been some other kind of egg.

So there's a chicken and an egg lying in bed. The chicken is looking pissed off, and the egg has a big grin on his face, and is smoking a cigarette. The egg says "so now we know the answer to that question!"

brewnog said:
If the question is "what came first, the chicken or the chicken egg" then the chicken came first: The first ever chicken much have been hatched from an egg which was not that of a chicken. A chicken egg must originate from a chicken, so the product of whatever predecessed the chicken must have been some other kind of egg.

So there's a chicken and an egg lying in bed. The chicken is looking pissed off, and the egg has a big grin on his face, and is smoking a cigarette. The egg says "so now we know the answer to that question!"
I have to agree with Brewnog. There were eggs before there were chickens. If you specify that you mean a chicken egg then the egg must have been laid by a chicken to be a chicken egg.

And Brewnog you have a dirty mind. :cool:

What we call a chicken egg came about from a DNA mutation. Therefore the story goes like this:

1) A bird (NOT a chicken) developed an egg which had a DNA mutation.
2) This mutated egg is what we call a chicken egg.
3) Once this chicken egg developed it was laid
4) A chicken hatches from this egg.

The Egg came first.

Last edited:
I think something had to sit on the egg to hatch it, the hen had to come first.

There's a chicken (or hen) and an egg in bed. The egg rolls off the chicken (or hen), lights a cigarette, and says "well, I guess we solved that riddle".

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I posted it in the jokes section but I couldn't resist posting it here as well.

"Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" Sounds like, the chicken did.

"Why?" Because the question didn't say "the egg or the chicken."

i think egg was first. :confused:
because of the evolution process the first hen was born by something other than hen :redface: ; like, first man was made by a monkey (the most developed monkey :redface: ).
so the the mother of the first hen was not a hen :redface: but gave birth to an egg of a hen (mutation). :redface:
what do u think? :confused:

dduardo said:
What we call a chicken egg came about from a DNA mutation. Therefore the story goes like this:

The Egg came first.

hey i didnt see that though. but we had the same thing in mind. :approve:

dduardo said:

The Egg came first.
It's all about defining what a chicken egg is. What if it was the Male gamete that provided the mutation after the egg was laid.. so it was just a normal bird egg but hatched a "chicken" (which would go on to lay 'chicken eggs' instead of 'bird eggs')

1. What is the "Egg and Chicken" paradox?

The "Egg and Chicken" paradox is a philosophical question that asks which came first, the chicken or the egg. It is a paradox because both the chicken and the egg are dependent on each other for existence, making it difficult to determine which came first.

2. What is the scientific explanation for the "Egg and Chicken" paradox?

The scientific explanation for the "Egg and Chicken" paradox is based on the theory of evolution. According to this theory, the first chicken evolved from a different species through genetic mutations. This means that the first chicken must have come from an egg laid by a different bird species, making the egg the first of its kind.

3. Is there any evidence to support the theory that the Egg came first?

Yes, there is scientific evidence that supports the theory that the Egg came first. Fossil records show that eggs have existed long before chickens, dating back to dinosaurs and other ancient species. This supports the idea that the first chicken must have come from an egg.

4. Can we definitively say that the Egg came first?

No, we cannot definitively say that the Egg came first. While there is evidence to support this theory, it is still a topic of debate and cannot be proven with absolute certainty. The "Egg and Chicken" paradox remains a philosophical question with no clear answer.

5. Why is the "Egg and Chicken" paradox important in science?

The "Egg and Chicken" paradox is important in science because it highlights the complex and interconnected nature of evolution. It also challenges our understanding of cause and effect, and encourages critical thinking about the origins of life. It is a reminder that even seemingly simple questions can have complex and thought-provoking answers.