Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What camera

1. Jun 30, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I know nothing about cameras, i think i had a box brownie or some such when i was a kid, so what camera can i buy that will work with a computer
    and does not cost mega bucks?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2006 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

not that I can answer your question, but how many threads have you started in the last week? You may be becomming pengwuino's apprentice:biggrin:

4. Jun 30, 2006 #3

wolram

Gold Member

Did some one speak :confused: what is a pengwuino :confused:

5. Jun 30, 2006 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

hopefully a banned member

6. Jun 30, 2006 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Gottcha, that bloby thing with funny ears :biggrin:

7. Jun 30, 2006 #6

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try the cereal isle in the grocery store.
    They probably have one as a prize :smile:

8. Jun 30, 2006 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Does no one take life seriously any more? such an esteemed forum and all i get is noise :rofl:

9. Jun 30, 2006 #8

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pretty much any digital camera works with any computer through a USB cable. Some use firewire, but that is not necessary for still pictures. If you want low cost, look on Ebay. I saw some decent name brand "point and shoot" digital camera go for $10 (postage was more expensive).

Olymus, Nikon, Canon are trusty brands. For a good point and shoot cameras, I would expect to pay (starting at) $300 for no less than 4 megapixels.

10. Jun 30, 2006 #9

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Got a lovely Minolta Dimage Xg to replace my old film 'idiot' camera.

If it's just for holiday snaps look for anything upward of 3.5 megapixels, anything from Nikon, Olympus, Canon, Minolta or Fuji. Don't be swayed by silly optical zoom lenses or loads of daft features, just make sure it's a nice bright lens, not too big an LCD panel (battery life!), rechargeable, and splash out on a nice big memory stick. Anything upwards of £130 on one of these brands and if you're not too fussy you won't be complaining. Get down to Jessops and ask to have a play with a few, then get yourself onto the interweb for the best prices.

I very rarely use my SLRs these days.

11. Jun 30, 2006 #10
    My travel camera is a Fuji Finepix E550. I love it. It takes nice pictures and also video with sound.

12. Jun 30, 2006 #11
    Do not get a vivitar. Fuji has some really nice new cameras. Fuji and Canon generally have really good colors.

visit
    www.dpreview.com
    ^^ best site ever

13. Jun 30, 2006 #12
    I have a very cheap Kodak, that works really well. D/L's are so easy with any camera these days.

When I can find it that is. Its been MIA for 8 months now.

14. Jun 30, 2006 #13

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

These days, Canon is generally regarded as making the best all-around digital cameras. The other manufacturers are really not that far behind, though, so price or availability could easily be a swaying factor.

After a *lot* of research, I bought a Canon SD450, which is a very small (mostly) point-and-shoot kinda camera. It has a beautiful display, a very easy and intuitive interface, and takes incredibly good pictures for its very small size.

I also have a larger, much more expensive digital camera, a Sony F717, which admittedly takes better photos than the Canon, but is nearly the size of an SLR. I hardly ever use it anymore -- convenience often trumps a slight edge in photo quality when you're not an expert photographer.

- Warren

15. Jun 30, 2006 #14
    I also have a Canon Digital Rebel. So far, I have had to send it for repair of the shutter curtain two times. I have had it a year and a half. There is a serious flaw in the shutter curtain mechanism.

16. Jun 30, 2006 #15

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The camera I mentioned, the SD450, is not a Rebel. I don't know anything about their SLR problems, but the SD450 is a top-of-its-class little camera.

- Warren

17. Jun 30, 2006 #16

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks for advice every one, i will keep my eye out for an canon sd450.

18. Jun 30, 2006 #17
    the SD450 only has x3 zoom... that's really not enough if you intend on getting faces of people or pictures of things that aren't really really close to you....

i got the Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2, and it's great, i think the Z3 is about the same price now, so i'd suggest this model.

it has x12 optical zoom instead of x10 that the z2 has, and 4 mega-pixels instead of 3.4...
    both models have manual control over every thing (along with the automatic), so if you'd learn what everything does, you could get proffesional looking pictures.
    if you want an example, i could post some really great pictures i got with this camera.
    it looks like national geographic pictures.

and as a side note - don't pay any attention to the digital zoom - it's just software resize, you dont get more details, optical zoom is the actual zoom the camera has.

19. Jun 30, 2006 #18

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

fargoth,

It'd be rather silly to directly compare the Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z3 to the Canon SD450. The Konica weighs three times as much and is more than three times the size! Of course it has more room for a better optical zoom.

The SD450 actually has better resolution, however.

Actually wolram, fargoth brings an interesting point to the table. You should probably give us a list of desired characteristics first before we start throwing camera models at you. Do you want something tiny? Or are you okay with a camera that needs a carrying case with a shoulder strap, yet takes phenomenally good pictures? The market is saturated with cameras of all shapes and sizes.

- Warren

20. Jun 30, 2006 #19
    yeah, and you should tell us what price range youre considering too, the SD450 costs about half of what minolta Z3 costs...

by the way, Warren, i dont think you really get more details with the SD450's 5 MPixels, compared with minolta's 4 - i think the camera's optics are the limiting factor, not the CCD resolution (maybe i'll do the math tomorrow, but i think i'm right).
    and even if you could get advantage of the 5 Mpixels you got, you can only see it if you print it on something as big as A4...
    5 Mpixels is an overkill, and it takes up too much memory anyway.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  21. Jun 30, 2006 #20

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's possible, but resolution never hurts.

The SD450, on its highest-resolution setting, can put something like 400 pictures on a 1GB SD card, which runs about $35 retail. I'm not that concerned about the file size.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?