What is growing inside plastic?

• Thread starter Philip Koeck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plastic
In summary, some microorganisms that were very rare have become common "eating" plastic. Microorganisms like Ideonella can be found in older landfills that have been covered over. PET (polyethylene terephthalate); example clear hard food grade plastic delicatessen take out containers are susceptible to attack by Ideonella. Just wash it and let it dry, no food, no water, that makes it difficult, but some of the little buggers have survived quite well in containers on the outside of the space station.
Philip Koeck
TL;DR Summary
I've found something growing apparently inside plastic.
I've found something growing apparently inside plastic (microwave-proof Tupperware).
Two photos are appended, a bit fuzzy, I'm afraid.
The whole structure is about 2 cm long and the close-up (lowest part of the overview) shows a part that's about 5 mm in diameter.
I wasn't able to scratch it off with my finger nail, so it appears to be underneath a thin layer of plastic.
Does anybody know what it could be?

Attachments

• 20220116_152801.jpg
    20220116_152801.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 271379258_6735863883155699_3974138788166406196_n.jpg
    271379258_6735863883155699_3974138788166406196_n.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 60
Biology news on Phys.org
First picture looks like a flattened frog on the parking lot.
And the second like a hairy salamander that is adapting to winter weather in the most peculiar way.Seriously.
A fungus that is growing on the moisture and organics that have seeped into a crack and separation of plastic layers too small to see with the naked eye.

Likes russ_watters, Twigg and Philip Koeck
The white virtually indestructible white plastic containers that bleach comes in are broken down and used for energy by:

Ideonella:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideonella_sakaiensis

The point is that there are microorganisms that were very rare that now have become common, "eating" plastic.

I do not know what is in your photos, but there are lots of things that are adapting to the use of plastic as a food source. Some of the byproducts appear to be unpleasant.

See links to 14 microorganisms that use plastic as a carbon source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Organisms_breaking_down_plastic

Likes Laroxe, russ_watters, Philip Koeck and 1 other person
jim mcnamara said:
The white virtually indestructible white plastic containers that bleach comes in are broken down and used for energy by:

Ideonella:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideonella_sakaiensis

The point is that there are microorganisms that were very rare that now have become common, "eating" plastic.

I do not know what is in your photos, but there are lots of things that are adapting to the use of plastic as a food source. Some of the byproducts appear to be unpleasant.

See links to 14 microorganisms that use plastic as a carbon source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Organisms_breaking_down_plastic
So how prevalent would those organisms be in a household?
Seems of the bacteria and fungus were found and identified from samples collected from sediment and wetlands.
Aspergillus tubingensis
appears to one of the more widespread organisms.

Likes Philip Koeck and Twigg
I know that when artsy folks try to make epoxy resin casts around leaves or other organic materials, they end up growing mold. It looks a lot like what you have.

I'm never eating out of plastic tupperware again. Thanks for that :oldlaugh:

Likes Philip Koeck and 256bits
PET (polyethylene terephthalate); example clear hard food grade plastic delicatessen take out containers:

Ideonella has an enzyme that specifically attacks PET. Anyway it is now found in older landfills that have been covered over. And forgotten - maybe not so much if you live next to one.

The enzyme is undergoing tests, I believe, to help attack the mountains of plastic waste.
Put out enough food, wait awhile, and something will adapt itself to making a menu item and make lunch out of it.

We are included on the parasite menu - Per Paul Offit, Director of the Vaccine Education Center and professor of pediatrics in the Division of Infectious Diseases at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia:

'Mother Nature has been trying very hard to eradicate us since day one.'

Likes Philip Koeck
You have to consider that most plastics are made from oil, and that is organic. While oil has already been the object of the attention of various micro-organisms, it continues to break down when exposed, most oil spills are cleaned up by nature. Like oil, plastics are subject to a variety of processes that breaks them down, it just takes a while, some chemical processes are quicker for example UV light.
However, the very durability of plastics mean they provide an ideal home for all sorts of things, just picking up some plastic on a beach can show the variety of creatures that can call it home, even plastics in the sea become a little oasis of life. Many microorganisms like to have a surface to attach to and they can thrive with a little water, some air and a little organic matter. These biofilms can grow just about anywhere, our teeth are covered with them.
Just wash it and let it dry, no food, no water, that makes it difficult, but some of the little buggers have survived quite well in containers on the outside of the space station, if nothing else, life is persistent.

Likes BillTre and Philip Koeck

1. What types of organisms can grow inside plastic?

Many types of microorganisms, such as bacteria and fungi, can grow inside plastic. Some plants and algae have also been found to grow inside plastic.

2. How does plastic provide a suitable environment for growth?

Plastic can provide a warm, moist environment that is ideal for the growth of microorganisms. It can also provide protection from external factors such as UV light and harsh chemicals.

3. Can plastic leach nutrients that support growth?

Yes, plastic can leach various nutrients that can support the growth of microorganisms. These nutrients can come from additives used in the production of plastic or from substances that have adhered to the surface of the plastic.

4. Is it harmful to have organisms growing inside plastic?

It depends on the type of organism. Some microorganisms can break down plastic, which can be beneficial for the environment. However, others can produce harmful toxins or cause structural damage to the plastic.

5. How can we prevent or control the growth of organisms inside plastic?

Proper disposal and recycling of plastic can help prevent the growth of organisms inside it. Additionally, using plastic with additives that inhibit microbial growth and regularly cleaning and disinfecting plastic surfaces can help control the growth of microorganisms.