Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What can happen if ?

1. Sep 2, 2006 #1
    What can happen if ????

Hi everyone,,,:tongue:

what can happen if oil end ?:surprised

As an engineer i am very woried about humanity future, and always

when i think about the end of oil i feel that i am in a black dream.

according to this i give all my efforts working on renewable energy

techniques, but the problem that i dont think it will solve the problem.

Friends,,,Want to discuss this with you.

1) Are we resposible for the future of our sons?

2) What alternative techniques do u think is perfect to solve the problem ?

3) I suggest to open a special departements in this forum to work

on renewable energy studies, do u agree with me ?

Thanks,,, and waiting ur replies.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2006 #2
  4. Sep 2, 2006 #3

Staff: Mentor

We are responsible for now and what we leave for the future - and its for our children (daughters as well as sons), our children's children, and children's children's children, and so on . . . .

2) What alternative techniques do u think is perfect to solve the problem?
    Improvements in efficiency of items which use energy and those systems which produce energy. Make use of solar/wind as much as possible.

I heard a discussion about use LED's (red, blue and green) for light sources, in order to replace much less efficient incandescent lighting.

3) I suggest to open a special departements in this forum to work
    on renewable energy studies, do u agree with me? [/QUOTE] There are plenty of discussions in Engineering, Earth (Other Sciences), and P & WA regarding energy production and consumption. We do not need another special forum or department. First search current and historical threads, then generate a new one if a specific topic is not found.
  5. Sep 2, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

As for 1), does it really matter if a person is a) temporally separated from you rather than b) being geographically separated from you?
    If you accept that you have some responsibility in that your actions should not have too adverse effects on persons in category b), then you also should likewise accept a similar responsibility towards members of category a)
  6. Sep 3, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also, if you have a strong interest, read "The End of Oil" by Paul Roberts.
  7. Sep 3, 2006 #6

Everything is going to be just all right. Do not worry. We will find a way out.
  8. Sep 3, 2006 #7
    oil will finally end.

its up to us to develop electromobiles and wisely use the optic fibers. the future of the mankind - is the world of light.
  9. Sep 3, 2006 #8

I will be very grateful if u give me more information about it ?

10. Sep 3, 2006 #9
    Dear Astronuc,

First, Thanks for replying.

Second, I suggest that to extend this subject because i have lots of

textbooks about it also i have many subjects which i think it is very

important for all of us to be known and discussed here.

Thanks again.
  11. Sep 3, 2006 #10

plz,,, forgive me ""english is my second language":frown: " so some time ur

expressions seam complex for me:confused: . plz explain it more.
  12. Sep 3, 2006 #11

:rofl: perfect reply,,, Hope so, and be sure that all must coorporate to

acheive that.
  13. Sep 3, 2006 #12
    well this will solve transportations problems but what about electricity ?
  14. Sep 3, 2006 #13

Gold Member

Electricity is not a resource. It is a "currency" in the sense that we just make whatever we need (from fuel sources), and a "transport mechanism" in the sense that we simply use it to easliy move useful energy from power source to operating device.

There is no need to - nor any likelihood that we will - ever stop using it.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2006
  15. Sep 3, 2006 #14

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure. ISBN 0-7475-7075-2, Bloomsbury Publishing 2004.

In the book, Roberts, travels around the world interviewing people in and around the energy industry. He gets views from oil tycoons, engineers, oil field workers, geologists, environmentalists, consumers and politicians in order to establish just how far into a crisis we may be, what it would take to modify the west's oil consumption and to increase the use of renewables, and how a global economy can be maintained based on energy sources which are cost effective and readily available.

Well worth reading.
  16. Sep 3, 2006 #15

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem with running out of oil is not going to be the electricity. While other technologies are not as efficient yet, and are expensive, that won't be so much of an issue when it's the only choice left. The bigger concern are all the other products that we are accustomed to having that rely on oil for their manufacture, and whether we can sustain other alternatives.

But, it's really not something I "worry" about. It's something I think we need to plan for and anticipate will happen, and it means a lot of things will change about how people live, but I don't overly worry that it's not something people can adapt to. I wouldn't be surprised if future human civilizations looked back on us as "The Oil Age" much as we look back at "The Stone Age" or "The Iron Age" as different stages in the development of civilization that are very different from the way modern people live.
  17. Sep 3, 2006 #16

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a total pessimistic (but still not insane) view, see James Howard Kunstler's book The Long Emergency. According to his opinion, we are headed for the "dim ages."

Many points in this book I have decided to take seriously, but he is clearly penning out a little bit of wish-fulfillment (even though he denies it) and cultural bias (he despises American "suburban culture." Hmm, I do too).

Certain facts he cites cannot be dismissed: discovery of oil reserves hit its peak in 1964. Production of liquid crude oil hit its peak sometime in the last decade (we are apparently already in the decline of the production curve). Demand for oil is rising steadily in the west, and exponentially in China. Everything we do (in "first world" nations) depends on this cheap energy source. This means everything wil be getting much more expensive.

I think Kunstler believes that the end of oil will be like a door slamming shut. I have reasons to believe that oil use will taper off as its many uses become too expensive or as replacements are found.

In short, the guy is a crank, but don't dismiss him entirely
  18. Sep 3, 2006 #17
    Even before oil runs out I'm sure we'll no longer need it. Ethanol made from corn can do most things gasoline does. Solar cells are getting better and better everyday. Plastics can be made from soy. Fusion power plants are going to be working someday. Electricity generated by tides and ocean current and waves is being tested right now.
    Get the Scientific American Special Issue September 2006 "Energy's Future Beyond Carbon"
  19. Sep 3, 2006 #18

Staff: Mentor

Tribdog! Welcome back! Long time no see.
  20. Sep 3, 2006 #19
    I tried searching for somewhere else to post my many brilliant thoughts, but I just wasn't appreciated anywhere else. So I thought I'd come back here (at least until my warning percentage gets me booted). Have things settled down a bit? It seemed like it was getting too puritanical around here, I thought maybe Quakers had taken over.
  21. Sep 3, 2006 #20

Also,,,plz give more information about this book so that i can reffer to it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?