1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What can I do that will help my portfolio/keep me sane?

1. Mar 18, 2012 #1
    I'm at a community college right now and... the physics/math classes there are depressingly boring. I do a lot of studying on my free time, and I have a tutor who's helping me in my self-studies, but every once in a while I start thinking that self-studying isn't enough. After all I'll probably have to take the classes anyways. Does anyone have advice for what I can do that will make me more attractive to colleges or employers? I applied for an REU but got denied.

My current portfolio website has a lot of "cool" stuff on it, but... it's a bit lacking in academic background. My math teacher recommends that I start learning about finite element analysis.

Perhaps I should start an open source library? Or should I just keep devoting my free time to studying? (I'm almost finished with Newtonian Mechanics by A.P. French and I'm starting what will be a grueling journey through Rudin's book on analysis)

[edit]
    Crud, I thought I was posting this in academic guidance.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted