Precalculus, Calculus & Physics Books for Summer Learning

• Thread starter theoristo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone teaching themselves precalculus and wanting to move on to calculus and physics. They are currently reading Basic Mathematics by Lang and are looking for recommendations on what to read next. One option mentioned is Calculus Made Easy by Thompson, followed by Calculus for the Practical Man. The person also asks for opinions on the effectiveness of the Calculus for the Practical Man series, which was used by the Great Feynman. They also inquire about the possibility of finishing all the recommended books by the end of summer, to which the response is that the end of autumn may be more realistic. The conversation ends with a recommendation to take MIT's 18.01SC course for the best progress.

Are For practical man series any good?

• Great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good

• Not soo good

• Total voters
theoristo
I'm starting to teach myself some precalculus and going to calculus ...and hoping to learn some physics ...I 'm reading Basic mathematics by lang and would want to know what to read next ...Calculus made easy BY THOMPSON seems to be a good option and Calculus for the practical man after that?For the practical man series have been used by the Great Feynman are they any good?And finally would I be able to finish all those books by the end of summer?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say end of autumn is more realistic. For the best progress, take advantage of MIT's 18.01SC course.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the difference between precalculus and calculus?

Precalculus is a mathematical course that covers topics such as algebra, trigonometry, and geometry, which are fundamental to understanding calculus. Calculus is a more advanced branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion, and involves concepts such as derivatives and integrals.

2. Why should I study precalculus and calculus over the summer?

Studying precalculus and calculus over the summer allows you to stay ahead in your studies and have a better understanding of these subjects when you start the new school year. It also gives you the opportunity to focus solely on these subjects without the distractions of other courses.

3. How can I use precalculus and calculus in real life?

Precalculus and calculus have numerous real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, economics, and even medicine. These subjects are used to model and solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and motion.

4. What are some recommended precalculus and calculus books for summer learning?

Some popular precalculus and calculus books for summer learning include "Precalculus" by Ron Larson and "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart. It's also a good idea to check with your school or teacher for any recommended textbooks.

5. Is it necessary to have a background in physics to study precalculus and calculus?

No, it is not necessary to have a background in physics to study precalculus and calculus. However, having a basic understanding of physics concepts can be helpful in understanding some calculus concepts, such as motion and velocity. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry before studying calculus.