What can stop jalapeno burn to skin?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skin
In summary: Capsaicin is oil soluble, so vegetable oil (or oil and vinegar - which I recommended to Woolie when he got it on his face), yogurt, or butter should help dissolve any capsaicin on the skin.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
At least, it's the only thing I can think of that could be causing the burning sensation.

I chopped some jalapenos last night, then washed my hands as usual. I woke up during the night with the palm and fingers of my hand burning. These weren't hot jalapenos, and it's only affecting one hand, the hand I held the knife with. The hand that I held the jalapenos with is all right.

The burning is so bad that I am sitting with my hand in a pot of cool water.

Please, any suggestions to stop the burn?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org

The active ingredients aren't water soluable - that's why you drink milk.
This much later though they have probably been absorbed, I would try washing the hand thoroughly with soap.

Yeah, I've washed my hands thoroughly several times. No improvement. I just found some aloe vera I had for sunburns, I've just applied that. Next is a soak in the dog's oatmeal shampoo if the aloe doesn't help.

Use milk instead of water, Evo

Edit
capseïcine dissolves in fat, so you could try oil, butter anything like that.

The capsaicin is oil soluble, so vegetable oil (or oil and vinegar - which I recommended to Woolie when he got it on his face), yogurt, or butter should help dissolve any capsaicin on the skin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin
Capsaicin (8-methyl-N-vanillyl-6-nonenamide) is the active component of chili peppers, and it is an irritant for mammals, including humans, and produces a sensation of burning in any tissue with which it comes into contact. Capsaicin and several related compounds are called capsaicinoids and are produced as a secondary metabolite by chili peppers, . . .

Cooling and mechanical stimulation are the only proven methods to relieve the pain; capsaicin is not water-soluble, so water and most other liquids will only dull the pain by cooling the area, but will not have any lasting effect. The burning sensation will slowly fade away if no actions are taken. Dairy products are one of the most effective forms of relief; casein, a phosphoprotein found in milk, acts as a detergent to dissociate the capsaicin from nerve receptors, allowing it to wash away. (Dustrophsky, 2006).
So use yogurt, half-n-half, or milk - in a cup or bowl.

I have no milk based products, except velveeta cheese, wait, that's non-dairy too, nope, it claims to contain milk. Hmmm, I could sprinkle parmesan on my fingers.

I think the aloe is helping.

Alternately in this http://objectief.be/Paprika-rode-peper-Capsicum-annuum.html it's advised to rub in lemon juice first and after that oil

cooking oil?

Once capsaicin is absorbed no amount of oil is going to get it off.

From my own experience from cutting hot peppers, it seems that capsaicin has a long half life probably around 24 hours. Just give it time and the feeling will go away.

gravenewworld said:
Once capsaicin is absorbed no amount of oil is going to get it off. From my own experience from cutting hot peppers, it seems that capsaicin has a long half life probably around 24 hours. Just give it time and the feeling will go away.
You're right. It's not going to be possible to do much at this point, and putting your hands in hot water to do dishes, or taking a hot shower will re-activate the capsaicin for a day or two, usually.

Last edited:
I've heard banana does the trick nicely when something tastes too hot. I've no idea if it'd work on skin, but give it a try if it's that bad

Oh Evo,

I feel for you! I did the same thing once with habanerro peppers. It felt like a bad
sunburn. I used cold compresses for about a day. I think it just takes time.

Be very careful when you go to the bathroom.:blushing:

Evo said:
I chopped some jalapenos last night, then washed my hands as usual. I woke up during the night with the palm and fingers of my hand burning.
Please, any suggestions to stop the burn?

That happened to me too (a few moons ago) ! Only both my hands were burning and I really needed to use them to work on some math. I tried all that you did but my hands still burned (even when I tried to sleep) :frown:

So in alarm, I called the emergency room. They told me it's a burn and treatment is the same for temperature & chemical burns. So you're pot of cool water was a good choice. At that point it was anesthetizing the tissue.

PAIN RELIEF: Cold compresses are good to relieve pain as well as using over the counter pain relievers and topical anesthetics.

HEALING - topical skin protectants and moisturizers are good during the healing process which in my case, took a few days. You mentioned aloe vera. I've heard it has both anesthetic and antibacterial properties, so it should feel soothing and allow the skin to heal more quickly.

I took tepid showers rather than hot, just as with a sunburn, a hot shower is no fun, when your skin is burned.

Ouabache said:
So in alarm, I called the emergency room. They told me it's a burn and treatment is the same for temperature & chemical burns.

Capsaicin does not cause tissue damage (and thus no burn), it simulates tissue damage by binding to vanilloid receptors, which are normally involved in sensing heat and tissue abrasions. You're right that cold anesthetizes the tissue, but this is only alleviating the symptoms and is not contributing to the healing. The only solution is to wash away the capsaicin with oil/lipids/soap, which is difficult when it has already penetrated the skin deeply. I think it usually takes a day for the burning sensation to disappear, so I hope this also applies to Evo :smile: Next time wear some gloves!

Monique said:
Capsaicin does not cause tissue damage (and thus no burn), it simulates tissue damage by binding to vanilloid receptors, which are normally involved in sensing heat and tissue abrasions.
Thanks Monique, it is interesting to learn the actual mechanism behind this burning sensation. So it only mimics a burn by affecting the same pain receptors. I should have realized many ER professionals are still learning and but at the same time, want to convey credibility of their medical knowledge. If i call them back and explain about vanilloid receptor binding, I hope they keep an open mind... :smile:

Evo, is your hand feeling better??

Vinegar will free the base.

Ouabache said:
Thanks Monique, it is interesting to learn the actual mechanism behind this burning sensation. So it only mimics a burn by affecting the same pain receptors. I should have realized many ER professionals are still learning and but at the same time, want to convey credibility of their medical knowledge. If i call them back and explain about vanilloid receptor binding, I hope they keep an open mind... :smile:

Evo, is your hand feeling better??
The aloe was very soothing, a light cool gel.

Today the fingers feel ok, I still had a bit of burning even yesterday.

Gloves from now on.

Evo said:
The aloe was very soothing, a light cool gel.

Today the fingers feel ok, I still had a bit of burning even yesterday.

Gloves from now on.
Just go with the full body suit.

So I guess my latest invention, a jalapino and peanut butter flavored body wash, is a bust.

im haveing a simular experience except with the outside of my mouth and my nose. i read to put rubbing alcahol but i don't have any so i used fingernail poslish remover to get rid fo the burning oils. then it said use milk or a diary based product. we had no milk so i used butter and so far the burning has subsided. a lot. but for the time being i have butter all over my face.

I breathed in the fumes while cooking peppers. It burned my nose and upper lip for hours. I tried aloe lotion, oil, burn spray, and a few other things I can't remember. I still had to sit with ice on for 3 hours to keep it from burning severely. The only thing that worked was vasoline and Tylenol. It worked within 20 minutes and was completely gone. I'm not sure if it was the vasoline, the Tylenol or both. I'm just glad it worked. Hope this helps someone else.

Ever seen Silent Hill the movie?

It's a little known bit of trivia that Pyramidhead tore that one chicks skin off because he was trying to help her with a jalapeno burn.

Evo said:

I hope your keyboard is water resistant...

Is your hand still burning?

Evo,

Don't feel bad, I got some ghost pepper sauce (unknowingly under my fingernails about six months ago) I washed it off thinking I got it all. I was an idiot for not using gloves, then, about a half hour later touched my eye, OMFG... the pain was intense, and it lasted over one half hour. All I could do was keep applying cold water compresses. I always use gloves now, remember under your finger nails can harbor some of it. I recommend you carefully clean them as well. I know I got it all when I put my nose next to each one and sniffed carefully, no smell, no bad juju.
Capsaicin does not cause tissue damage (and thus no burn), it simulates tissue damage by binding to vanilloid receptors, which are normally involved in sensing heat and tissue abrasions.

Monique,

Where are these receptors found, in tissues as well as the brain, and if so which part(s) ?

Thanks in advance...

Rhody...

leroyjenkens said:
Is your hand still burning?

From an event that happened on October 25, 2008? Don't think so, but I'm sure she appreciates your concern. :)

Ok, curiosity got the best of me before Monique had a chance to respond: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRPV1"
Sensitization

The sensitivity of TRPV1 to noxious stimuli, such as high temperatures or low pH, is not static. Upon tissue damage and the consequent inflammation, a number of inflammatory mediators, such as various prostaglandins and bradykinin, are released. These agents increase the sensitivity of TRPV1 to noxious stimuli. This manifests as an increased sensitivity to painful stimuli (hyperalgesia) or pain sensation in response to non-painful stimuli allodynia. Most sensitizing pro-inflammatory agents activate the phospholipase C pathway. Phopshorylation of TRPV1 by protein kinase C have been shown to play a role in sensitzation of TRPV1.
[edit] Desensitization

Upon prolonged exposure to capsaicin, TRPV1 activity decreases, a phenomenon called desensitization. Extracellular calcium ions are required for this phenomenon, thus influx of calcium and the consequentual increase of intracellular calcium mediate this effect. Various signaling pathways such as calmodulin and calcineurin, and the decrease of PIP2, have been implicated in desensitization of TRPV1. Desensitization of TRPV1 is thought to underlie the paradoxical analgesic effect of capsaicin.
and
Agonists

Agonists such as capsaicin and resiniferatoxin activate TRPV1, and, upon prolonged application TRPV1 activity, would decrease (desensitization), leading to alleviation of pain. Agonists can be applied locally to the painful area as through a patch or an ointment. Numerous capsaicin-containing creams are available over the counter, containing low concentrations of capsaicin (0.025 - 0.075 %). It is debated whether these preparations actually lead to TRPV1 desensitization, it is possible that they act via counter-irritation. Novel preparations containing higher capsaicin concentration (up to 10%) are under clinical trials [17]
[edit] Central nervous system

TRPV1 is also expressed at high levels in the central nervous system and has been proposed as a target for treatment not only of pain but also for other conditions such as anxiety.[18] Furthermore TRPV1 appears to mediate long term depression (LTD) in the hippocampus.[19] LTD has been linked to a decrease in the ability to make new memories, unlike its opposite long term potentiation (LTP), which aids in memory formation. A dynamic pattern of LTD and LTP occurring at many synapses provides a code for memory formation. Long-term depression and subsequent pruning of synapses with reduced activity is an important aspect of memory formation. In rat brain slices, activation of TRV1 with heat or capsaicin induced LTD while capsazepine blocked capsaicin's ability to induce LTD.[19] In the brain stem (solitary tract nucleus), TRPV1 controls the asynchronous and spontaneous release of glutamate from unmyelinated cranial visceral afferents - release processes that are active at normal temperatures and hence quite distinct from TRPV1 responses in painful heat [20]. Hence there may be therapeutic potential in modulating TRPV1 in the central nervous system, perhaps as a treatment for epilepsy (TRPV1 is already a target in the peripheral nervous system for pain relief).

So it seems that capsaicin when applied in small doses, (0.025 - 0.075 %), and Novel preparations containing higher capsaicin concentration (up to 10%) are under clinical trials can lead to desensitization (blocking of TRPV1), reducing pain. So it seems to a layman that capsaicin is a double edged sword. It can cause intense pain, and prolonged low level exposure can lead to alleviation of it.

finally:
Central nervous system

TRPV1 is also expressed at high levels in the central nervous system and has been proposed as a target for treatment not only of pain but also for other conditions such as anxiety.[18] Furthermore TRPV1 appears to mediate long term depression (LTD) in the hippocampus.[19] LTD has been linked to a decrease in the ability to make new memories, unlike its opposite long term potentiation (LTP), which aids in memory formation. A dynamic pattern of LTD and LTP occurring at many synapses provides a code for memory formation. Long-term depression and subsequent pruning of synapses with reduced activity is an important aspect of memory formation. In rat brain slices, activation of TRV1 with heat or capsaicin induced LTD while capsazepine blocked capsaicin's ability to induce LTD.[19] In the brain stem (solitary tract nucleus), TRPV1 controls the asynchronous and spontaneous release of glutamate from unmyelinated cranial visceral afferents - release processes that are active at normal temperatures and hence quite distinct from TRPV1 responses in painful heat [20]. Hence there may be therapeutic potential in modulating TRPV1 in the central nervous system, perhaps as a treatment for epilepsy (TRPV1 is already a target in the peripheral nervous system for pain relief).
It appears that capsaicin's use in reducing TRPV1 could be involved in:

mediating long term depression
as a treatment for epilepsy

Interesting findings... I am open to a high level layman's description to this.

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how all this works. The first time I handled home-grown habaneros, I had some persistent burn (until the next day). Since then, I have never had a problem stemming, de-seeding, etc. I never use gloves. Maybe I'm just a bit more cognizant of not getting the chili juices on my skin. In good years (good pepper crop) I'll make gallons of chili sauces and chili relishes, can them, and process them in a boiling -water bath.

If police tried to use pepper spray on me and didn't get any directly in my eyes, I'd probably be able to run away. I like the heat.

I suggested to my neighbor who was in much pain from processing jalapeno peppers without gloves who had been using ice for hours that she wet her hands and pack on baking soda. She called back about 15 minutes later and said the burning was 100% better.

We read all the good advice in this thread and I did not see this, so I have added our experience. Since baking soda works really well on bee stings, etc, which are acids, I assumed it would work on capsacin.
JBAB

This really works!

I chopped jalepenos and rubbed the bottom of my nose. When I felt a little burning sensation start I rubbed my nose more and the burning spread. It was inside my nose now! I had put frozen food on the burning area because the burn was so harsh. Eventually that was not helping and the burning was becoming unbearable. Long story short, I remembered hearing that lime would help. All I had was lemon. So I cut one up, squeezed the juice on the area and then twisted the rind and rubbed that all over the burning areas. It worked! Washing with soap does nothing. Citrus is the key!

I used to swear by black olive juice, but, that was years ago.

its simple

wash burned hand with ripen banana.....its really cool

I used to go to this great pho place in the university district, $5 for a big delicious bowl of soup. They have the bean sprouts and the jalepenos on the side. One day I was leaving the restaurant and my eyes were itchy, so I scratched them and almost got in an accident cause I was blinded

I realize the problem will be long solved, but for people like me, searching for advice on a current pepper/jalapeño burn, I want to add this, dish soap works as a temporary solution, but only for a minute or so. I'm fixing to try some sort of dairy product in a moment. Hands burning, why do we have so many peppers to feed these animals! DXEDIT: I want to let you people know, you helped me a lot. Baking soda all over my hands and wrist worked super and butter eased the pain under my thumbnail a little. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, this thread brings back such painful memories.