Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What can the software Mathematica do?

1. May 18, 2004 #1
    I am thinking of solving a nonlinear equation, namely, Gross Pitaevskii equation that applied in Bose Einstein Condensates. Can I solve the equation with Mathematica? Could someone give me some clues?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2004 #2
    i think you can get at least a numerical calculation, but here is what we can do, post the equation, ill run it and see what the software can actually do :wink:

4. Aug 8, 2004 #3
    I am also interested in solving the Gross-Pitaevskii-Equation. I spend my weekend to get a solution with mathematica without success. There are a couple of Phys. Rev. A.s wich treating the problem of numerical solution of the GPE or other non lineary time-(in)dependent Schrödinger-Equations, however it would be much nicer if Mathematica can do such things and I don't have to learn how to write an effective Runge-Kutta.

btw. the time-independent GPE is:

-\hbar^2/(2m) \nabla^2 \psi(x,y,z) + V + g|\Psi(x,y,z)|^2 \Psi(x,y,z) = \mu \Psi(x,y,z)

wherby V = m/2(\omega_x^2 x^2 + \omega_y^2 y^2 + \omega_z^2 z^2)

An other question comming up when I tried getting a solution is: Is it possible to use NDSolve with an other function name than y[x], for example :Psi:[x]? Is it theoretically possible to solve more dimensional (i.e. 3, f[x,y,z]) diff. eq. with NDSolve, which is needed to solve the GPE seriously?

5. Nov 12, 2011 #4
    hi i f u get any way for writting this equation on mathmatica 5 plz help me i will appreciate plz help me i have to do this for my thesies plz help me if u get any sucsses to solve thank u vase moeini from iran

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?