What can this Inverter Power?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an inverter to power various electronic devices. The speaker mentions that the inverter may not be able to sustain a television or other high-powered devices and that there may be energy losses and heat generation to consider. The validity of the speaker's example is brought into question, with doubts about the ability to power a light bulb using a solar panel and batteries. The conversation ends with the mention of using white lights from scanners for other purposes.
High_Voltage

The guy uses the inverter to power a light bulb, would the 5vDC to 100vAC be able to power a television, or other electronic devices that require about 110v to 125v.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
that florescent lamp shown would be rated <5W. so current drawn from 5V would be <1A. i doubt that inverter can light that bulb for continuous 8 Hours.

if you want to power higher loads say 25W (for ~20" lcd tv) power input at 5V level should be >5A. such heavy currents would certainly burn the inverter chip used in seconds. there should be always energy losses in inverter, the heat generated should be dissipated effectively to avoid temperature rise . inverter chip would be of bigger size with heat dissipation capabilities for higher load.

I tend to keep the more negative opinions to myself, but this guy's example doesn't ring true. He's operating a solar panel from just the light in the room. The panel is small, and looking at it, it doesn't look to be a high efficeincy type.
Altogether, I don't think there's any way he could get a single Watt out of that setup and yet he has a lamp glowing brightly? I don't think so...

Yeah, I'm not buying it either.

I played it again. He actually says he has two batteries in the solar panel box giving 8 volts which he regulates to 5 volts.

So, it would work away from the sun if the batteries were already charged, which he says they are.

But, yes, it is a low powered device just giving a few watts out at most. And certainly not at 60 Hz.

BTW does anyone know what voltage those white lights in scanners work on? Seems like a nice light for pathways or even portrait photography.

hey guy
just need enough power

What can this inverter power?

This is a commonly asked question about inverters. The answer depends on the specific type and model of the inverter, but generally, inverters are used to convert direct current (DC) power into alternating current (AC) power. This means that they can power any device that runs on AC electricity, such as household appliances, electronics, and even some industrial equipment.

Can an inverter power a refrigerator?

Yes, an inverter can power a refrigerator. However, it is important to ensure that the inverter has enough wattage to handle the power needs of the refrigerator. Also, keep in mind that running a refrigerator on an inverter for an extended period of time can drain the battery quickly, so it is recommended to have a backup power source or a generator.

Can an inverter power a TV?

Yes, an inverter can power a TV. Inverters are commonly used in RVs, boats, and other vehicles to power TVs and other electronic devices. Again, make sure that the inverter has enough wattage to handle the power needs of the TV.

Can an inverter power a microwave?

Inverters can power microwaves, but it is important to note that microwaves require a lot of power to run. Therefore, it is crucial to have an inverter with a high enough wattage and a reliable power source, such as a deep-cycle battery, to avoid draining the battery quickly.

Can an inverter power medical equipment?

Yes, inverters can power medical equipment such as CPAP machines, nebulizers, and other devices. However, it is essential to consult with a medical professional before using an inverter to power medical equipment, as the power output and quality of the inverter may not be suitable for certain devices.