Medical Physics Jobs with a B.S. in Physics: What Are Your Options?

In summary, there are job opportunities in medical physics for individuals with a bachelor's degree, such as technician or assistant roles. However, it is recommended to pursue a graduate degree in order to have better prospects and advancement opportunities. The field of medical physics is currently in high demand and there are various accredited programs available for those interested. It is also advised to gain experience in a hospital setting and obtain certification in order to solidify one's qualifications.
Agnostic
Are there really any jobs that you can get doing medical physics with only a bachelors in physics with a concentration in medical physics?

Maybe like a technician/assistant to a medical physicist...

I will be going to grad school for medical physics eventually after I get my bachelors, but it may be a year or two...

Physics news on Phys.org
Try Monster.com. You shouldn't have any trouble, it's a very hot field right now. A grad student I worked with during an internship of mine wound up leaving grad school for a very well-paying medphysics job. Take your resume to a nearby hospital and your chances are good.

It will put you in a good position for getting into a CAMPEP accredited medical physics gradute or residency program. Current requirements to take the American Board of Radiology and/or American College of Medical Physics certification exams require at least a Master's degree, so I strongly encourage you to continue on. There is definitely a demand for qualified medical physicists, so if that's where your interests are, pick a field (diagnostic, nuclear medicine, therapy) and go for it. You can find a list of CAMPEP accredited programs here and non-accredited programs http://www.aapm.org/educ/campepnolst.html .

There are a few medical physics technician positions out there (not many) for bachelor's level people, but most offer little room for advancement (besides, the people in charge of you will probably push you towards doing a Master's or PhD anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is medical physics and how is it related to physics?

Medical physics is an interdisciplinary field that applies principles of physics to medicine and healthcare. It involves the use of physics concepts and techniques to develop and improve medical imaging, radiation therapy, and other medical technologies.

2. What are the job options for someone with a B.S. in physics in the field of medical physics?

With a B.S. in physics, you can work as a medical physics technician, radiation safety officer, or medical physics assistant. You can also pursue further education and training to become a medical physicist or a radiation therapist.

3. What skills and knowledge are required for a career in medical physics?

A strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and computer science is essential for a career in medical physics. Additionally, knowledge of biology, anatomy, and medical imaging techniques is also important. Critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills are also necessary.

4. Are there any certifications or licenses required for medical physics jobs?

Yes, most medical physics jobs require certification from the American Board of Radiology (ABR) or the American Board of Medical Physics (ABMP). Some states also require a license to practice as a medical physicist or a radiation therapist.

5. What are the job prospects and salary potential for someone with a B.S. in physics in the field of medical physics?

The demand for medical physics professionals is expected to grow in the coming years, with job opportunities in hospitals, cancer treatment centers, and research institutions. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual salary for medical physicists was $123,880 in May 2020.