What career choice after poor grades?

In summary, the speaker is unsure about their career path, as they are good at math and science but struggle with English. They are currently taking courses in applied science, computing, and R.S. However, they are interested in science and technology and enjoy creating and building things. They are unsure what course to choose for university as they are mediocre at all main subjects and are not sure if they are clever enough for engineering or if they want to work in a lab. They are seeking advice on a career that allows them to make things and not be stuck in a laboratory or office.
bruhjf
So... I cannot choose a career path.
So let's start with the basics i am ok at math and science poor at english. In GCSE i received B in science, C in maths and C in english. I was disappointed as this meant that i could not do A-Level Chem and Bio on college. So now i am doing applied science which is for 'dumb' people, computing which is interesting and R.S which is a filler course.

So my dilemma is where do i go from here? I have an interest in science and technology, i enjoy creating and building things and love to know how things work (i watch a lot of documentaries). But i do not know what course to choose for uni, i am mediocore at all the main subjects and i am not sure whether i would be clever enough to carry out the maths within an engineering course or i do not want to work in a lab looking at cells even though i enjoy science. What should i do, i have been looking around on this website and some threads have said that to do engineering you need to be good at maths, i am not.
So after all that context my question is what career should i pursue that allows me to make things and not be stuck in a laboratory or office? P.s sorry for the long writing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Even if you can't get your dream job right away find a way to get your foot in the door and work your way up the old fashioned way. Take a low level job that has a high ladder and climb it!

What career options are available after receiving poor grades?

There are still many career options available after receiving poor grades. Some options may include pursuing a trade or vocational career, working in sales or customer service, or starting your own business. Additionally, many employers value soft skills such as communication and problem-solving abilities, so highlighting these skills can also lead to job opportunities.

Will my poor grades significantly limit my career choices?

While poor grades may limit some career choices, they do not define your entire future. It is important to focus on your strengths and find a career that aligns with your skills and interests. You may also consider retaking courses or gaining experience through internships or volunteer work to improve your resume.

How can I explain my poor grades to potential employers?

Be honest and transparent when explaining your poor grades to potential employers. You can highlight any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your academic performance and discuss how you have grown and learned from the experience. Additionally, showcasing any relevant skills and experience can demonstrate your potential as a valuable employee.

Can I still pursue a career in my desired field despite my poor grades?

Yes, you can still pursue a career in your desired field despite your poor grades. It may require additional effort and determination, but it is not impossible. Consider reaching out to alumni or professionals in your desired field for advice and networking opportunities. Gaining relevant experience and showcasing your passion and dedication can also help in securing a job in your desired field.

What steps can I take to improve my career prospects after receiving poor grades?

There are several steps you can take to improve your career prospects after receiving poor grades. These may include seeking academic support, developing a strong work ethic, gaining relevant experience through internships or volunteer work, and networking with professionals in your desired field. It may also be beneficial to continuously educate yourself and develop new skills to make yourself a more competitive candidate in the job market.