Help Needed: A Level Subject Selection

• Thread starter electricsound
  • Start date
  • Tags
    A level
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around selecting subjects for A level courses, which are equivalent to university-level AP classes in the US. The conversation provides advice to take calculus, physics, and electronics courses and to explore different fields to find one's interests. There is a comparison between the US and UK education systems, with the suggestion that UK students need to start thinking about their academic paths earlier. The concept of AP classes and their role in university credits is also mentioned.
electricsound
I'm a little bit confused.. and what subjects should I take @ A level? thanks for your help ;)

Physics news on Phys.org

electricsound said:
I'm a little bit confused.. and what subjects should I take @ A level? thanks for your help ;)

Do you mean like AP classes in high school? Take all the calculus, physics, and electronics classes you can. In college, I'd recommend starting out in a general engineering/physics track, and deciding which way to go after your 2nd year. Many colleges have tracks where you don't need to decide until your Junior/3rd year, and that gives you time to see what-all interests you the most. There really is is a lot to be said for looking around at subjects in technical depth, to see what really excites you.

Last edited:

Gotta remember, not everyone is from the UK and knows what you mean by A-level. It's a bit of a generic question as you are posting here in a physics forum so you could get polarized answers.

First figure out if your wonder is of the natural work, the metahphysical world etc. Physics might be good for you, but then philosophy might be more appropriate. Are you good at, or do you enjoy mathematics? If not then perhaps the biological field is for you. What sort of books do you read for fun?

Berkeman, if you don't know what A levels are how can you expect a young dude from the UK to know what AP aclasses are? I'm old dude from the UK and have no idea what AP classes are! The advice to "take all the calculus, physics, and electronics classes you can" is confusing. You *have to* take A levels maths and physics, and all the "calculus, physics and electronics" you need to take is contained within those two A levels.

There is no such thing as "a general engineering/physics track". In the UK and you need to decide which way to go while taking your A levels. In your 3rd year at College in the UK you are finishing your BSc degree! That said, you make a good point when you say:

"There really is is a lot to be said for looking around at subjects in technical depth, to see what really excites you."

But in the UK you have to (try to) do this when still at school.

I just re-read C.P. Snow's excellent "Two Cultures" essay and he makes an excellent comparison between the US and UK systems. Shame on both, actually, for not fixing any of the faults in either system in 50 years!

Robousy - these are good questions to ask oneself, UK guys just need grow up fast and start asking them good and early!

mal4mac said:
Robousy - these are good questions to ask oneself, UK guys just need grow up fast and start asking them good and early!

Not contesting that at all. Merely pointing out that a little more info from that chap would be useful.

The Snow books sounds interesting. Having experienced both systems I've enjoyed seeing the flaws (and strengths) in both systems.

rich

Mainly for mal4mac - AP classes are university level intro classes in which you learn the curriculum that you would in a college intro course (ex. intro to physics, calc 1) and then at the end of the year you take an exam. With you scores on the exam you can become exempt from classes at a university (ex. if you pass AP physics, you're exempt from intro to physics or the equivalent). However, not all universities accept these AP credits.

What is the importance of choosing the right A Level subjects?

The A Level subjects you choose will determine the course of your academic and professional future. They can impact your university options, career opportunities, and even your overall academic performance. Therefore, it is crucial to choose subjects that align with your interests, strengths, and future goals.

How many A Level subjects should I choose?

Typically, students in the UK choose three A Level subjects, but some may choose four or even five. It is essential to consider the workload and your ability to manage multiple subjects before making a decision. It is always better to excel in a few subjects than to struggle with too many.

Should I choose A Level subjects based on my future career?

While it is helpful to consider your future career path when choosing A Level subjects, it is not necessary to choose subjects solely based on this factor. It is more important to choose subjects that you enjoy and excel in, as this will increase your chances of success and open up opportunities in various fields.

What are the most popular A Level subjects?

The most popular A Level subjects include Mathematics, English Literature, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and History. However, popularity should not be the only factor in your decision. Consider your interests and strengths before choosing subjects.

Can I change my A Level subjects after starting the course?

It is possible to change your A Level subjects after starting the course, but it may not be easy. This decision should not be taken lightly as it can affect your academic progress. It is crucial to speak to your teachers, parents, and careers advisor before making a change and to consider the available options carefully.