Help Ted Decide on a Career Path: Seeking Advice from Experienced Professionals

In summary, Ted is looking for a career and is concerned about the current research being done by kids his age. He has a good background in mathematics and could help you with some introductory books about the subject.
Ted7
Hi guys I'm ted. I'm posting this thread because I'm not sure what career to follow and I could really use some help.

First of all let me give you some info for me.I'm16-17 y.o and going to high school.
At 15 I came 2nd to my countrie's astrophysics Olympiad.Read apostol's calculus and since then I've done almost nothing concerning beyond school reading.

I've been searching for books for a long time and found nothing(that's relevant, there are plenty of books out there) .Next year I am giving a similar to sat exam so they made me afraid to read a book that could take time from my school reading.

What career should i choose and what should my steps from now on be in order to pursue my goals?

I've always wanted to become a top^! cosmologist .I am really concerned about the fact that kids in my age are doing research in this field , and also that I am really sick of reading math and physics for high school(I mean if I didn't know what real math look like I'd probably drop school).

At the same time I believe that I need to discover my intelligence limits and read something that could help me really know if I love physics or the popular part of it.
Thank you for your time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ted7 said:
I've been searching for books for a long time and found nothing(that's relevant, there are plenty of books out there) .Next year I am giving a similar to sat exam so they made me afraid to read a book that could take time from my school reading.

Don't worry there are a lot of books. First of all, what is your mathematical background? Do you know how to solve integrals, find derivatives of functions?

Ted7 said:
What career should i choose and what should my steps from now on be in order to pursue my goals?

I've always wanted to become a top^! cosmologist .I am really concerned about the fact that kids in my age are doing research in this field , and also that I am really sick of reading math and physics for high school(I mean if I didn't know what real math look like I'd probably drop school).
Almost no kid in your age is doing research, so don't worry about that. As you said you want to become a cosmologist, so the best you can do right now is to spend some time to actually figure out what cosmology is about.
Ted7 said:
...and read something that could help me really know if I love physics or the popular part of it.
After telling us your mathematical background, we could probably recommend you a couple of books about that.Minas

MinasKar said:
Don't worry there are a lot of books. First of all, what is your mathematical background? Do you know how to solve integrals, find derivatives of functions?Almost no kid in your age is doing research, so don't worry about that. As you said you want to become a cosmologist, so the best you can do right now is to spend some time to actually figure out what cosmology is about.

After telling us your mathematical background, we could probably recommend you a couple of books about that.Minas
Are you Greek ?(cause I am , too!).Well as I said before a couple of years ago I studied apostol's calculus
.Right now my calculus level must be low .Well I am pretty sure I can refresh my knowledge but don't expect something too fancy except from basic integrals and derivatives.Thank you for your help!

1. What advice do you have for someone struggling to choose a career path?

My advice would be to explore your interests, skills, and values. Take time to research different industries and careers, and consider talking to professionals in fields that interest you. Also, don't be afraid to try out internships or job shadowing opportunities to gain hands-on experience and get a better understanding of different careers.

2. How important is networking in finding a career path?

Networking is extremely important in finding a career path. It allows you to connect with professionals in your desired field, gain insights into different industries, and potentially open doors for job opportunities. It's important to build and maintain a strong professional network throughout your career.

3. How can I determine if a career is a good fit for me?

There are a few ways to determine if a career is a good fit for you. First, consider your strengths and interests. Does the career align with them? Next, research the job duties and responsibilities to see if they align with what you enjoy doing. You can also talk to professionals in the field to gain a better understanding of the day-to-day tasks and work environment.

4. Is it okay to change career paths multiple times?

It is absolutely okay to change career paths multiple times. Many people have multiple careers throughout their lifetime, and it's becoming more common in today's job market. It's important to regularly assess your career goals and make changes if necessary to ensure job satisfaction and personal growth.

5. What resources are available for someone seeking career advice?

There are many resources available for someone seeking career advice. You can talk to career counselors, utilize online career assessment tools, attend job fairs and networking events, and seek advice from experienced professionals in your desired field. Additionally, there are numerous books and articles on career planning and development that can provide valuable insights and guidance.