Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What causes gravity?

1. Jul 22, 2006 #1
    Ok, people say mass causes gravity. But a friend of mine suggested that mass w/ motion causes it. And to tell you the truth, I can't find an exception to this since every single object in this world is in motion. However not that I think about it, it creates an opposite effect(repulsion). Ofcourse I am wrong coz that isn't the reality but can you tell me what am I thinking wrong here? Vacuum is made up of pairs of anti-particles and particles so if something moves, it is like the effect of the falling dominoes, if anything moves, it should cause things near it to move away from it, but that doesn't happen why?(similar to how it happens in water-wave effect) However this theory only works for object nearby, objects faraway wouldn't even care that I am moving.

Btw, when an object moves through vacuum, it does so by pushing all the pairs of particles and antiparticles out of its way but then what is left behind is real vacuum! Plz tell me what I am thinking wrong here too. THx.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted