Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What causes lightning?

1. Oct 8, 2014 #1
    Please explain this to me: "Electric force manifests itself in atmosphere where the atoms are ionised and that leads to lightening".

why and how are atoms ionised in the above case? How does this ionisation cause lightening?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2014 #2
    Greetings
    First of all there are many forms of lightning and more being discovered from space. I assume you are referring to the common forked streaks we see during a thunderstorm so I'll address that.

AFAIK it begins as a thermal process within clouds which results in warmer lighter objects having a positive charge gradually congregating at the top of a cloud while cooler, negatively charged particles (often ice crystals) gather at the bottom. Because this is a loose conglommeration there is air without charge between the two which creates a sort of capacitor, which when it reaches overload conditions releases that energy as the spark we call lightning.

For e fuller (and better) explanation see http://scijinks.jpl.nasa.gov/lightning/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Oct 8, 2014 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

5. Oct 8, 2014 #4
    Avito, nobody knows that for sure. Internal electric fields in a thunderstorm cloud are too low to spontaneously initiate lightning

6. Oct 9, 2014 #5

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Slow motion films of lightning can be enlightening:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook