Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What causes mass attraction?

1. Oct 15, 2009 #1
    What causes mass attraction?
    Please expalin it so that its easy to understand?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2009 #2
    The force of gravitation causes attraction between the bodies. it is a long ranging force.
    for small mass particles like nucleus in atom there is nuclear force which is helpful attraction between subatomic particles. THESE ARE SHORT RANGING FORCES.

4. Oct 16, 2009 #3
    But what is that force ?
    How does it attrac?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  5. Oct 16, 2009 #4

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

It's called gravity. If you want to know how it works, pick up a book on general relativity. If you want to know anything beyond that, I recommend moving this to the philosophy section.

6. Oct 16, 2009 #5
    So what you are saying: we don't no except ist called gravity ?

7. Oct 16, 2009 #6

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

No... what I'm saying is we can describe very well with our theories how gravity works. We can make predictions about what will happen because of gravity. But we cannot really tell you why gravity works. Take for example the explanation of General Relativity that mass curves space-time, and objects simply follow geodesics in this curved space-time, resulting in what we traditionally think of as the gravitational force. Now this is a great model for predicting things, but it says nothing about why mass curves space-time. This is what I meant, because that question is more the subject of philosophy.

8. Oct 16, 2009 #7
    masses tend to attract as that is the law of gravity ,and gravity is aforce

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook