Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What causes physical attraction between human beings

1. May 18, 2003 #1
    What causes physical attraction between human beings, as a general animals? Like why I'd consider someone attractive while my friend thinks her average... Is it to do with the DNA?

A penny for your thoughts people..

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2003 #2

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Attraction

Some would reply "isn't everything?" (nature)
    Others would say it's our upbringing & experiences (nurture).
    I suspect the tendencies in our lives are a combination of nature and nurture.

Whatever the chemistry is, I like it.

4. May 18, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Attraction

In part, pheromones:
    How we sniff out a mate

More...

Last edited: May 18, 2003
  5. May 18, 2003 #4
    This is more of an "Other Science" topic so I'll be moving it over there. :smile:

6. May 19, 2003 #5

An appreciation of 1.618, the "Divine Ratio" or Golden Ratio" is apparently hard-wired into our genes. Do a little search and you'll likely find some interesting stuff as it relates to our perceptions of beauty. Happy reading.

Amos Behavin

7. May 24, 2003 #6
    "The estrogen compound caused the men to experience increased blood flow to the hypothalamus, the region of the brain rodents use for pheromone detection, but had no effect on the women. The testosterone-related compound, meanwhile, caused heightened blood flow in the women, but not the men. "

I wonder how non-exclusive-heterosexuals would repond to phermones of the opposite sex (and same, for that matter).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?